An ethical situation

Robert_

Here is something that I chewed on for quite a while yesterday and I was wondering what everyone else's take on it was.

I was walking through campus yesterday with a good friend of mine. We passed a student-run blood drive. A young lady asked us both to give blood.

"I'm so sorry. I cannot." she said. She turned to me and told me of a heart condition that she has had all of her life. To give blood could very well send her into a coma.

"I am also sorry. I can't either. I take medication that could be detrimental to a pregnant woman if she got my blood." I said.

We walked on. She turned to me and said, "I always feel realy bad because I have O+ blood and I know that many people can use it."

I also have O+ blood. Many people could use my blood. I have taken it off the market by choice by ingesting a medication that inhibits me from donating it.

Now, the last thing I am writing this for is to make anyone feel guilty about taking their Finasteride or Dutasteride. I was just wondering if this had crossed anyone else's minds at all.

Also, how many people do you think are receiving these medications from online sources that have not consulted a physician first and do not fully know the implications of them?

Now, the risk of that individual giving blood, that blood being administered to a pregnant women, and then that pregnant woman's child having birth defects are minute but they are still there.

Anyone else have any input?

As I said before, this is not a guilt-trip kind of deal. I will still ingest my own medication daily to salvage my 26 year old head of hair. However, I can be blamed as a "thinker" and this forum's members are among the most intelligent group of individuals that I am able to speak to regarding this. I also thought that it would lead to a pretty groovy discussion.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Here is something that I chewed on for quite a while yesterday and I was wondering what everyone else's take on it was.

I was walking through campus yesterday with a good friend of mine. We passed a student-run blood drive. A young lady asked us both to give blood.

"I'm so sorry. I cannot." she said. She turned to me and told me of a heart condition that she has had all of her life. To give blood could very well send her into a coma.

"I am also sorry. I can't either. I take medication that could be detrimental to a pregnant woman if she got my blood." I said.

We walked on. She turned to me and said, "I always feel realy bad because I have O+ blood and I know that many people can use it."

I also have O+ blood. Many people could use my blood. I have taken it off the market by choice by ingesting a medication that inhibits me from donating it.

Now, the last thing I am writing this for is to make anyone feel guilty about taking their Finasteride or Dutasteride. I was just wondering if this had crossed anyone else's minds at all.

Also, how many people do you think are receiving these medications from online sources that have not consulted a physician first and do not fully know the implications of them?

Now, the risk of that individual giving blood, that blood being administered to a pregnant women, and then that pregnant woman's child having birth defects are minute but they are still there.

Anyone else have any input?

As I said before, this is not a guilt-trip kind of deal. I will still ingest my own medication daily to salvage my 26 year old head of hair. However, I can be blamed as a "thinker" and this forum's members are among the most intelligent group of individuals that I am able to speak to regarding this. I also thought that it would lead to a pretty groovy discussion.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Great question! One of the sceening tests before giving blood would be, " are you taking Finasteride or Accutane". The answer to the dilema is that is you truly want to give blood if you are off the Finasteride for one week it is truly out of the blood stream and it would be safe. If you only do this one time and you are only off the one week it also will not mess you up with the DHT because it only gets back into swing fully at one week.

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Robert

There are many people in the world who receive the benefits of the blood given to the Red Cross. I know in my own personal case that I have the same issue so I volunteer my services to make up as I was a regular donor for many years. It is the effort that counts.

Thanks for the insightful post!!!

TMAN

Robert,

Nice post. I never really thought about that. There's always blood drives around my area and I have thought about giving, but it never crossed my mind about being on Propecia. I wonder if a person on Propecia would be able to give if they marked it on there and that way no pregnant woman would receive your blood? Just a thought.

Robert ??“

Great post!

Let me recap your key points: You and your friend both have O+ blood. As such, your blood could be transfused to other people and could potentially save someone's life. Your friend can't donate blood because of a very serious medical condition that could jeopardize her life. You can't donate your blood because it is tainted and might cause birth defects if it were given to a pregnant woman.

I think the ethical dilemma that you're referring to is that we are all taught to help each other out, particularly in a situation that might involve life and death. You and your friend both have a blood type that can be used by others who are in need. When asked to donate blood, you both declined and felt uneasy over your inability to potentially help those in need. I assume that this unease was caused by a sense of obligation and not being able to fulfill that obligation.

First off, I think you and your friend are very thoughtful and compassionate people. It is a very complex issue.

Let me try to throw out some thoughts to serve as a counterpoint to the points that you've made in your post. Regarding your friend, self-preservation is a valid argument; no person would expect your friend to sacrifice her own life to potentially save someone else's.

I assume that you felt that your reasons for not being able to give blood paled in comparison to those of your friend's; she had no choice in the matter, but you did. Some might consider your actions to be selfish because in the abstract, your blood could have helped someone out. I emphasize this only because in reality your blood can still be used to help someone out ??“ just not someone who is pregnant. The problem is, as Brando points out, is that the Red Cross can't ensure that your tainted blood won't be given to a pregnant woman. Recognizing the limitations of the Red Cross, you acted responsibly and rightfully declined the offer to donate.

About your O+ blood: I ran across this Red Crosssite. It states that 40% of the population is O+. Only 7% of the population is O- and this is the preferred type for accident victims and babies needing exchange transfusions. Hopefully, these stats will help set your mind at ease; there are a fair amount of O+ donors out there and it sounds as if the O- type (not O+) is used in emergency situations.

While I understand your point in the abstract, IMHO, I'd say in reality there is no ethical dilemma. BTW - if I ever need a transfusion, I'll be knocking on your door for some of that Finasteride-laced blood of yours!

All the best,

FS

Thanks for the responses from everyone. Ailene's statement that one on Finasteride can take a week break from the medication and be fine is pleasant news. However, a little research of Avodart.com showed that the same is not true of Dutasteride, unfortunately. GSK recommend that a person discontinue the medication for a full six months before transfer; just a head's up for any Dut-heads out there icon_smile.gif.

Follicular, man you hit the nail on the head; you went further into my own points than I did and got it all down pat.

Like I said, I can be blamed as a "thinker" so things that everyone else can be lucky enough to disregard I chew on and contemplate for a few days. This was just one of those things. Kind of like the "what is the sound of one hand clapping" deals.

-Robert

Thanks for the compliment Brando.

In spite of the fact that I enjoy writing, I'm not a writer. I'm actually a web designer and I also teach design. As such, I find myself proofing client's copy and letting my student's know that they will be penalized for typos and grammatical errors in their websites - a little unorthodox for a designer but I think that attention to detail is important and good written communication skills are essential.

Thanks again for the kind words.

FS

Nice post Robert. I actually never knew that a person on finsteride couldn't donate blood.

Being a thinker myself, I sometimes feel a bit silly taking medications and perusing HT forums when there are issues in the world that are much more important than my hair.

Posts like yours really help to put things in perspective.

Robert,

The fact that the medication Dutasteride stays in your body for 6 months is the very reson Dr. Cooley will not prescribe it. If you had a problem it would be yours for a good while!

Please get in touch. I have sent several messages.

Thanks,

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians