Suggestions and/or comments

I hadn't been posting in a long time, but I'm now (slightly) considering a 4th HT so I've been re-reading the boards. As some background, I had 2 HT's about 8 years ago, of only 100 grafts each. The results were ineffective, but the second scar was terrible. I had a 3rd HT in 2003 (about 1500 grafts) with Dr. Hasson, and the results were great and the new scar took out the old scar and it's undetectable in my opinion (no one has ever noticed it and I get clipped with about a 3, sometimes a 2).

For my next surgery I'm thinking of FUE, mostly because I don't think I need another 1000 - 2000 strip, and I would prefer to just try to strengthen/thicken the hair on the top of my head, and I think if I can do a 300 - 500 FUE session this year, and then another 500 2 years out, and then continue the routine. I know some people think once you've done the strip then there's no point with FUE, but to me I don't want to go to that well too often. Personally I hate the healing time with strip, and my hair is not in a free-fall situation where it is thinning rapidly. I just need to touch up certain areas.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on switching to an FUE situation despite previous strips. I have to fly in and out of JFK in 2 weeks so perhaps I'll see if Dr. Feller has a consultation available to time with my return trip.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Good luck,

Manko

I hadn't been posting in a long time, but I'm now (slightly) considering a 4th HT so I've been re-reading the boards. As some background, I had 2 HT's about 8 years ago, of only 100 grafts each. The results were ineffective, but the second scar was terrible. I had a 3rd HT in 2003 (about 1500 grafts) with Dr. Hasson, and the results were great and the new scar took out the old scar and it's undetectable in my opinion (no one has ever noticed it and I get clipped with about a 3, sometimes a 2).

For my next surgery I'm thinking of FUE, mostly because I don't think I need another 1000 - 2000 strip, and I would prefer to just try to strengthen/thicken the hair on the top of my head, and I think if I can do a 300 - 500 FUE session this year, and then another 500 2 years out, and then continue the routine. I know some people think once you've done the strip then there's no point with FUE, but to me I don't want to go to that well too often. Personally I hate the healing time with strip, and my hair is not in a free-fall situation where it is thinning rapidly. I just need to touch up certain areas.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on switching to an FUE situation despite previous strips. I have to fly in and out of JFK in 2 weeks so perhaps I'll see if Dr. Feller has a consultation available to time with my return trip.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Good luck,

Manko

Hi Manko

It depends on the factors involved..

How many grafts needed?

Your budget?

Your thinning trend and your long term strategy?

First of all, are you on propecia? It would best to stabilize your loss first

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Manko,

Welcome back to the community bro.

FUE is certainly an alternative to strip so you do have that option. Just make sure you research thoroughly and truly understand the advantages and disadvantages of FUE.

There is certainly less healing time involved in FUE.

Dr. Feller would be a great place to start. He has done some great work with FUE and continues to do so. He is also very honest and upfront with what he can and can't do and what you can expect from surgery.

Feel free to read some of my other postings on Strip vs FUE.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=144252

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=146892

Bill

Mr JB - I've been using Propecia (Proscar quartered), and Rogaine with a lot of success, in my opinion. I'm not too worried about budget, and it's hard to get a handle on future loss. I'm 40 now, and have a decent head of hair, I'm just concerned with a few thinner areas, and truthfully I'm slightly able to tell where the last HT went in and subtle thinning behind that area (real subtle). From what I hear, Feller is a straight shooter, and he may very well tell me I'm nuts and to come back in 5 years. I'll see.

Bill, thanks, it's good to be back reading these posts - I had forgotten how great these boards are. Your posts are particularly helpful, and you really are a great asset to the board. I'll read through your links. Keep up the great work.

Manko

Manko-

With what you're wanting to accomplish FUE may be the way to go, however, if Dr. Hasson gave you a paper-thin scar I'm sure he could do it again. I realize $$ isn't a concern for you but in the scheme of things 500 grafts or so aren't that many and may not make much of a difference. I've thought of "thickening" at some point in the future and am thinking a minimum of 1000, maybe 2000, I suppose it depends on the area your filling in.

Hey, Manko, I have some useless trivia information for you but first will ask "Any special reason you picked Manko for your HTN member name?" You're the same age as me...........did you ever watch the "spaghetti westerns" with Clint Eastwood? A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...........about "the man with no name". The useless trivia is this............the one time his name is mentioned is in "For A Few Dollars More" and his name was "Manko" icon_wink.gif. Just wandered if that's whay you had the name.............who knows?? icon_confused.gificon_cool.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I think the GB&U is the greatest Western Movie ever made, followed by the Outlaw Josey Wales, The Cowboys, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Unforgiven, Warlock, The Gunfighter (Gregory Peck) and a few more I can't recall!

Good Spot Bank--- meant to ask that one myself!!!!!!

I guess you beat me to the "draw?" icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by the B spot:

I think the GB&U is the greatest Western Movie ever made, followed by the Outlaw Josey Wales, The Cowboys, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Unforgiven, Warlock, The Gunfighter (Gregory Peck) and a few more I can't recall!

Good Spot Bank--- meant to ask that one myself!!!!!!

I guess you beat me to the "draw?" icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif LOL............unbelievable!!

I'm with you all the way.........I'm probably a Clint Eastwood fan first and foremost but all Westerns are right up there! Once Upon a Time in the West is also one of my fav's.........ironic that Bronson was offered the part for ALL 3 spaghetti westerns before Clint, but it made Clint international star material.

Another of my fav's from that era was Five Card Stud w/ Dean Martin and Robert Mitchum......ever see it?? If not, it's a classic. So many others.....

Better get back to hair loss..........okay, so Clint had great hair back in that day.....who'd have thought it would ever thin icon_biggrin.gif!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.