Dr Feller vs Dr Epstein

i actually preffered shaving down for two reasons:

1)I wanted the doc and the techs to have an optimal "workspace." logic dictates that it's easier for the surgeon and his techs to make incisions and place thousands of grafts without native hair standing in the way.

2) I wanted my hair to grow in evenly so i maintained a shaved look until the ht grafts started taking off.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

This is a very old debate that has run its course many many times.

My position is that it is BEST to shave the hair down for many reasons already listed in several other discussions. I do not believe that in most cases maximum density can be achieved in a minimum amount of time without shaving- especially in megasession cases.

Since you named this thread "Dr. Feller vs Dr. Epstein" you would be best served by simply plugging both our names into the search engine feature here on HTN (or any other site) and comparing the pictoral results of our patients and making a comparison. Since Dr. Epstein is not a proponent of cutting hair and I am, the differences in our results should give you the answer you are seeking. This is good advice for any patient seeking to select a doctor and is one of the main reasons for the existence and success of this community.

Research is the key to the HT game. Most of the information you need is right at your fingertips.

Best of luck,

Dr. Feller

in addition to cooley and alexander, rahal, true, dorin, and my doc (tessler), whom none of you seem to know about, dont shave. i do agree that for large sessions, shaving down is very helpful for the surgeon and techs. however, i dont think it's necessary for smaller sessions.

I agree with what Bill said, all the docs in the coalition do great work. some people are just to easily convinced that some docs are better than others because they post pics on this website. my doc, tessler, does fantastic work, he's been doing hair transplants for over 30 years, he's been listed in the best doctors in america for over 10 years running. yet none of you know about him because he doesn't post his work on this site.

Originally posted by hatrick:

in addition to cooley and alexander, rahal, true, dorin, and my doc (tessler), whom none of you seem to know about, dont shave. i do agree that for large sessions, shaving down is very helpful for the surgeon and techs. however, i dont think it's necessary for smaller sessions.

I agree with what Bill said, all the docs in the coalition do great work. some people are just to easily convinced that some docs are better than others because they post pics on this website. my doc, tessler, does fantastic work, he's been doing hair transplants for over 30 years, he's been listed in the best doctors in america for over 10 years running. yet none of you know about him because he doesn't post his work on this site.

hatrick,

Are you aware your Hairloss Weblog link doesn't go to your weblog? In fact, I tried finding it without any luck. I'd like to see Tessler's work as I too have heard he's great.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

yes i know, i wanted to make some corrections so i disabled it for the time being. i'll activate it and work on it later. Although, in regards to dewayne, i'm only a month post-op so there isn't much to see yet and my pictures arn't the greatest, alittle blurry. unfortunately i dont own a digital camera so it's difficult for me to post new pics.

I got pulled out of my operating room to post on this thread, as some doctors seem to make this a personal competition between colleagues which, because I do not feel is professional, I will not engage in. Hair transplantation is not a competition between surgeons, it is a combination of art and technique, in which passion, skill, and years of experience all play critical roles. The only real winners are those who get the very best results, and that means the most natural appearing hairlines, the greatest density, the least detectable donor site scar, and the best overall experience.

There is no right nor wrong when it comes to the issue of shaving versus not shaving. Different surgeons have different opinions and experience, and therefore approach shaving the patient's head individually. It is my opinion, developed over my 14 years specializing in hair transplantation, during which I have performed over 5500 procedures, that I can get better results without shaving the head in the overwhelming majority of my cases- the exception being in those patients who have that real baby fine vellus hair that seems to have no body and continually gets into recipient sites as grafts are being placed- in fact, the case I am doing today, a 3600 graft procedure on a 52 year old patient, has just this sort of hair and I have trimmed the majority of his hair. However, I prefer to leave the hair at its regular length in the great majority of patients for the following reasons (and please note that this is based on my personal experience and should in no way be considered dogma):

1. I can best see the natural direction of the original hairs

2. I can best appreciate, as the procedure proceeds, where there is the greatest need for more density- something that, once the hair is shaved, does not seem to permit me- thus allowing me to add more and more hairs to those areas of greatest need

3. Patients usually prefer it

For these 3 main reasons, I and my team of 18 full-time assistants, with their average of over 6 years of experience in this field, are quite experienced in working in and around the hairs when they are left their usual length. Yes, this does add another 15% or so more time to the procedure, but this extra labor cost is well worth it. I feel that there is absolutely no compromise in my ability to achieve the greatest possible density, because I am working with recipient sites that are 0.5 to 0.8 mm in size, with which I am able to minimize trauma to existing hairs while maximizing the achievable density.

Once again- there is no right nor wrong.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS

Miami and NYC

www.foundhair.com

I will back you up Dr. Epstein, 2953 grafts which would be considered a mega session. No shaving and look at the results of before and after pics of 4 1/2 months. In my procedure we did not shave,but my hair length was over an inch long. Dr. Epstein Is a Great Doctor and he can do it. Dr. Feller is also a Great Doctor who prefers to shave. I think both Doctors are great. If no one knew my decision on Ht docs It was between Dr. Epstein and Dr. Feller. The only reason I chose Epstein was because he called me personally right away and he had skills in the plastic surgury dept and this man is an artist. Thats what plastic surgeons do and his donar scars are superb.

Plus Dr. Epstein told me that without shaving my head it would take longer, but your ht will be less noticed. Dr. Epstein was more concerned about my well being of my mind after the ht. Let me ask one question and then people can figure this out for themselves. If you shave your head and can have a procedure done in 5 hours and if you dont shave your head and can have the same procedure done in 7 hours without shaving your head. What is the gain? Who should be paid more and what is the gain for a doctor to put 2 extra hours into a procedure ? Doctor Epstein,is not concerned about the time and $$$. He is concerned with your final results of your Ht. What gain does Dr. Epstein really have for not shaving. The gain for him is more work!! Think about it guys it does not make sense!!! The only way it will make sense is if non-shaving does work. THOUGHT!!! (see my weblog with before and after results with Dr. Epstein)

Doesn't it stand to reason though that more surgical work on the doc's part also equals more fatigue which equals greater risk of transection? These docs and their techs are human, not machines...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Originally posted by Dr. Alan Feller:

This is a very old debate that has run its course many many times.

My position is that it is BEST to shave the hair down for many reasons already listed in several other discussions. I do not believe that in most cases maximum density can be achieved in a minimum amount of time without shaving- especially in megasession cases.

Since you named this thread "Dr. Feller vs Dr. Epstein" you would be best served by simply plugging both our names into the search engine feature here on HTN (or any other site) and comparing the pictoral results of our patients and making a comparison. Since Dr. Epstein is not a proponent of cutting hair and I am, the differences in our results should give you the answer you are seeking. This is good advice for any patient seeking to select a doctor and is one of the main reasons for the existence and success of this community.

Research is the key to the HT game. Most of the information you need is right at your fingertips.

Best of luck,

Dr. Feller

Dr.Feller....

What do you mean when you say " the differences in our results should give you the answer you are seeking "

PLEASE tell me what that means.

I'm really curious.

MH

For the fatigue question???? Dr. Epstein has a large crew and they switched off. Dr. Epstein also did my frontal hairline and front mid section. Then When Dr.E finished he had 2 techs on each side of my head placing the grafts in. Also one of his techs was telling me that he was just about finished with his schooling and he was going to be a hairtransplant doctor. That made me more happy because he was a little more than just a tech. If you have a small office maybe it might not be right for only a couple people placing grafts, but Dr. E has a great large staff and everyone pitches in

Originally posted by hairthere:

Doesn't it stand to reason though that more surgical work on the doc's part also equals more fatigue which equals greater risk of transection? These docs and their techs are human, not machines...

I would think after a couple of sessions, the doc and techs would figure that out. That's human nature as well.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Dear forum members,

Though it's not against the forum rules, I personally don't like when physicians give their input on "which doctor is best" type threads. Simply put, the probability of a personal battle increases.

In my opinion, Dr. Feller and Dr. Epstein are both excellent surgeons, but their philosophies differ. Selecting between them will involve looking through patient results and consulting with each of them and deciding which one suits you best.

There is now enough information to sift through on this thread which should help forum member homeslice begin his research.

Special thanks to both Dr. Feller and Dr. Epstein for offering their input on their personal philosophies.

But before this thread gets ugly, and the fact that the thread title no long accurately represents the discussion, I am closing it.

I have opened a new thread to continue the very important discussion of shaving the recipient area called Shaving the Recipient Area: Advantages and Disadvantages. feel free to continue your discussion about this issue there.

Best wishes,

Bill