Shed attack

jonn

hey guys ive been on propecia around 3/4 weeks and nizoral for 5/6 weeks.

i have an injury to my arm which is preventing me from taking a shower.

i have just washed my hair over the bath. shed shed shed. i am now shitting myself. i am norwood 2.5 at the minute. should i be shedding like this? any ideas how long it will last. my first instinct is to not take the pill today.

help its really scary and im worried if this loss will be permanent. please advise me.

hey guys ive been on propecia around 3/4 weeks and nizoral for 5/6 weeks.

i have an injury to my arm which is preventing me from taking a shower.

i have just washed my hair over the bath. shed shed shed. i am now shitting myself. i am norwood 2.5 at the minute. should i be shedding like this? any ideas how long it will last. my first instinct is to not take the pill today.

help its really scary and im worried if this loss will be permanent. please advise me.

john, I had a big shed with propecia, and yeah was sitting a brick too. It was about 2 months when I had the shed, but went on for a few weeks. I haven't had one since. Hope this helps.

Shedding sucks...........no doubt. I'm sure you've researched it somewhat but what you're experiencing is the propecia (finasteride) kicking the hair into it's resting phase. When this happens to lots of hair at once rather than in a normal rotation....it's much more noticable.

Wait it out.........when it's through sleeping it'll come back. The resting (Telogen) phase is around 6 weeks to 2 months then it will start to grow again. Hopefully stronger since your meds will be inhibiting the DHT which is causing the degeneration of the follicle.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

thanks for the replies guys. i didnt take my pill today because its totally destroying my libido. im finding it hard to get it up and even when i do its gone almost straight away. i really cant handle that. i can live with the shed cause i know that means its working but i just cant deal with having erectile issues. i know beyond any doubt its not in my head. ive never had any problem in my life (even when im totally drunk). i dont know what to do now. ive spent so much time researching and i finally got the guts to start fin but its totally killing my sex drive. i dont know whether to leave it a few weeks then try again on half a day to see if thats any better?

any advice is really appreciated.

Originally posted by jonn:

thanks for the replies guys. i didnt take my pill today because its totally destroying my libido. im finding it hard to get it up and even when i do its gone almost straight away. i really cant handle that. i can live with the shed cause i know that means its working but i just cant deal with having erectile issues. i know beyond any doubt its not in my head. ive never had any problem in my life (even when im totally drunk). i dont know what to do now. ive spent so much time researching and i finally got the guts to start fin but its totally killing my sex drive. i dont know whether to leave it a few weeks then try again on half a day to see if thats any better?

any advice is really appreciated.

John,

Its unfortunate you are experiencing side effects with Propecia, unfortuntately Propecia is the cornerstone of every hairloss regime. The way I see it you have a few options:

1. You can stick with Propecia to see if the sides go away as there is evidence that after a period of time some people with side effects no longer experience them.

2. Take a smaller dosage or 1 every other day to see if that aleviates the side effects.

3. Look at other meds. Meds like Xandros contain Minioxidil and azelic acid which is meant to block nearly 100% of DHT where applied. http://www.minioxidil.com also sells topical spironolactone which is a powerful anti-androgen. There is also some evidence to suggest that Low Level Laser Therapy (i.e. Laser Brush) has similar properties to Propecia though I imagine far less effective.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

JakeVig has some good advice for you. I've been taking Finasteride (I quarter Proscar) every other day for a little over 6 months now. I never had a huge decrease in my sex drive, maybe slightly the first month or so, but I'd say it's normal now.

If I were to guess (and that's what I'm doing), I'd say if you stick it out your sex drive will get better after you've been on it 3-4 months. You may want to try every other day since finasteride actively inhibits DHT in your body for 72 hours. I've been using this regimen and have experienced mild regrowth in my hairline.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I've been on finasteride (at least 1.25 mg per day) for about two years. At first, my sex drive went to crap but it came back.

I would keep taking your normal dosage of Propecia every day and give it a chance to see if your sex drive comes back. If it doesn't, you can always stop taking it and look at other alternatives. If you stop taking it, your sex drive will come right back.

However, just remember that Propecia is one of only two proven meds to halt hair loss and possibly grow hair. It would be a shame if you stopped taking it prematurely and gave into your wee-wee's demands before giving it a chance. icon_smile.gif

thanks for all your replies guys. my pcs been crashed out for a few days so i aint posted.

i havent taken propecia for 8 days (i think) things are getting back to normal in the trouser department. i may give it another go later on but for the next few weeks im just gonna make sure everything is as it should be.

thanks for all your advise everyone.