Hair Transplant Next Week! I am So Excited

I have an hair transplant scheduled with the

very well renowned Dr.Rose at the Shapiro Clinic in Minneapolis next week. This is my first HT and i am looking to get around 2000 FUT's mainly in the frontal area. I am excited and at the same time apprehensive. This is my first surgery and i am concerned with the pain associated when i am injected in the scalp area. Never been to a dentist so kinda worried.

Will post my photos and my experiences for the benefit of all.

This site has been of immense help. Keep up the good work guys!!

very well renowned Dr.Rose at the Shapiro Clinic in Minneapolis next week. This is my first HT and i am looking to get around 2000 FUT's mainly in the frontal area. I am excited and at the same time apprehensive. This is my first surgery and i am concerned with the pain associated when i am injected in the scalp area. Never been to a dentist so kinda worried.

Best of luck, trendsetter. I think you are making a good choice.

Umm, honestly the injections are the worst part of the procedure IMO. Pain isn't all that bad, but you'll get a lot of them. Dull bee stings is a good analogy.

What date are you having surgery on?

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Trendsetter....

Speaking from experience, the pain is inconsequential compared to the enjoyment you will receive from your newly re-distributed follicles. Six months from now you will be a very happy camper!

Good Luck!

just kidding - I'm having an HT in a few weeks as well, and am also apprehensive. One of the reasons I picked FUE, as opposed to strip is because I'm very squeamish when it comes to surgeries. Good luck.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Pain?? What Pain??

I felt absolutely no pain through the whole procedure. But then again, I am a woman, and it is said that women have a higher tolerance to pain, because they go through childbirth/labor.

I think the worse part is the anticipation, and worst than that, WAITING......waiting to see if you are satisfied with your results!!!

I think you are making a good choice, and should go for it.

keep us posted

Jenn

Trendsetter, I was just like you. Just received my procedure at Shapiro this week, and from a procedural standpoint, the anethesia part of it scared me to death going in. But as everyone says, small bee stings at most is about it. I think I have a low tolerance of pain, and it was very much less traumatic as I imagined. They will tell you to breathe deeply during it, so do that and it will help as well. But as the one poster said, the three minutes you bear it is a small investment to the benefits you are striving for. I actually dozed off for a bit during my procedure, between movies I was watching. If you would, please keep us all informed on your progress and good luck to ya! They are one of the elite groups in this industry I'm convinced, so you're in excellent hands.

tkotko

tkotko:

Yeah, you and I had very similar experiences. I slept for 1-2 hours during the procedure. I wasn't really nervous, but still, it was hard to sleep much the night before surgery.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Trendsetter

I had my first HT in mid April with Dr. Sharon Keene in Tucson, AZ. She also works one week a month with Shapiro Medical in Minnesota.

Anyway, I can honestly say that I had no pain before, during or after the surgery. Even the shots were no big deal. Actually it went smoother than a Dental appointment. I too watched movies and dozed off a few times.

As far as HT procedures with any good surgeon, the biggest pain is probably the wallet. But it is well worth it.

You will do fine! Good luck!

midnite - I had my procedure this week, and I experienced some swelling on day 3, and today, day 5, it appears to be about 90% normal. I was diligent in sleeping upright and icing, but on day 3 I drove 9 hours without icing and that may have been why, maybe not. But be sure to ice and whatever they say to minimize it.

midnite:

VERY minor swelling post op. Iced the forehead almost non-stop. No bruising at all, not even slightly.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If you are getting most of the grafts placed in the frontal area you will have more swelling around the eyes. If you are getting the top and crown done the swelling will be more concentrated on the sides of your face, the sideburn and jaw area. Days 3, 4, and five for the most part in my case.

Midnite

I had swelling on the forehead, eyes and cheeks. I suppose this was my fault. I was told to ice ASAP. I went to the hotel and slept for a few hours. I did not start icing until late night. This was probably to late. I had swelling on day 2, 3 and 4. Actually thought I looked cool. Looked like I got beat up. Just kidding. Seriously the appearance did not bother me.

I also had major swelling days 3, 4 and 5. I was not good at all with icing my forehead, but slept upright. By day 6, all was back to normal.

Mr. T

2 things...

I got a Vitamin K shot the day before from the Doc to prevent excessive bleeding.

After the HT, they gave me the pills for swelling. I had just a little bit of swelling on 1 day only and it was gone after that...

Good luck again, you will breeze through it...

Gris...

Just a quick note from my experience....

A dull bee sting is about right. I'm the type of person who doesn't like to put people out or make them go out of their way, and can be overly polite at times because I dont want to be a bother (ok...gonna stop elaborating on that).....anyway...I really had very little pain during my 8 hr surgery. Once your anesthecized (sp) they will occasionally need to re-inject the area to keep your scalp numb. I probably waited a little bit too long sometimes to let them know that the medication was wearing off, and so when they re-injected me again, it stung a little. Don't be afraid to speak up as SOON as you start to feel anything. If you catch the numbness wearing off at each time it might start, then you shouldnt feel any real pain at all, only slight discomfort.

I also had my first HT with Dr Rose one month ago and I give him very high marks. Very concerned person and professional. After one month my top of scalp is numb alittle. The pain was short and was out playing a round of golf after 5 days in a cart. If you need more input from me let me know. Good Luck