Scabs/Crusts Fall out with Hairs Attached

Hey Guys:

Question about the little scabs or crusts, depending on what they are called by some:

How can one know when these are flaking off, and they have hairs attached, that they are not grafts being lost? (like, would you see the bulb/root of the hair as if I had plucked it?)

Are they just falling off like expected and a new hair will eventually grow in?

Is this shock loss?

thnx --

aH

Hey Guys:

Question about the little scabs or crusts, depending on what they are called by some:

How can one know when these are flaking off, and they have hairs attached, that they are not grafts being lost? (like, would you see the bulb/root of the hair as if I had plucked it?)

Are they just falling off like expected and a new hair will eventually grow in?

Is this shock loss?

thnx --

aH

Agent.

Alot of people ask this question.

From what I understand once you hit 10 days give or take post-op the graphs are safe.

I'm sure your doc told you not to have the water hit your head directly for the first few days while showering.

These first few days are crucial and any rough treatment should be avoided.

If I remember I starting letting the water hit my head directly at about 6 days.

It's also advised while showering to rub the recipient area gently when you shampoo.

This will gently remove the scabs.

Do not pick at the graphs.

Also the hairs you may see coming off are hair shafts...not the hair follicles...don't worry.

If your 10 days post-op...don't worry you can't loose the follicle...just be gentle.

MH

Thanks fellas -- so awesome to get all this support/advice. Almost like having a bunch of big brothers.

Anyway, yup, have been using the sponge that the doctor gave me and I am being very gentle on the scalp area. Just dabbing the shampoo, not rubbing or anything like that.

I am fortunate to have one of those rain showers, so, it is gentle anyway, but sure enough I put my hands over my scalp for the first couple of days. Now I let it "rain" down on the scalp, but only briefly. The tingle/itching that I am starting to feel is from the scabs flaking off and the water over the scalp really relieves this itching for a bit.

I think it is key for anyone who reads this thread to note what something said: "if you lost a graft, you will bleed."

-aH

Agent

On the subject of losing hair graphs.

Lets say you're the unlucky guy who picked at the recipient site the wrong way and lost 7 graphs.

Uhh... that means you lost about 14 hairs...no big deal.

We all probably lose 3 hairs everytime we take off a winter sweater...lol.

If you're about 2 weeks post-op..the worst is over.

Time to chill out...don't worry..and grow !!

MH