NY HT Surgeon Search

KulMD

Sharing my NY HT MD Search:

I recently decided to learn more about getting an HT. I am 50 and gradually losing the battle against my receding hairline and expanding baldness in my crown. This website provided me with exceptional resources and a great way to educate myself based on contributing member experiences. I live ?? hour from NYC and decided to look into the local HT community. I was willing to travel if I felt that the result would be enhanced. I am a physician and would prefer to be able to see my surgeon if post op complications arose.

1. Bosley NYC

At the time I decided to pursue HT options, I put myself on Finasteride and Rogaine. I set up an appt with a Bosley consultant on Long Island. Interesting experience:

I was told that I needed 2100 grafts and the surgery would be performed by 1 of 2 MD s in Manhattan. I asked about them and he scribbled down their names and said most patients prefer to just book the surgery rather than meeting the docs first. "It would save you an extra trip to the city".

The proposed fee including operating $12,300 plus an O.R. fee of between $500 ??“ 1000, depending upon the day of the week.

OK, I did have a pleasant chat with the consultant and he provided me with a fair amount of detail which helped me realize that I need to conduct more detailed research.

2. Dr. Jeffrey Epstein; Miami & NY ??“ I was able to get an appt with him while he was in NY. He mailed me several times and was very helpful and professional. His e mail informed me that he would be glad to evaluate photos and give me his opinion. Also, "my fees typically range from $3.50 to $4 per graft, and procedures are performed in both Miami (where fees are a bit less) and NYC".

I met with him in NYC and was quite impressed with his professional demeanor and surgical results. He answered my questions and recommended 2800-2900 grafts. He did not require shaving of the recipient area which seemed to be a plus. His office manager showed me photos and provided me with a proposed surgery fee of $4.20/graft for a Miami procedure and a 30% premium to have the surgery performed in NYC.

I was quite interested in pursuing the Miami option which appeared to be a common practice for many of his patients. I was told that they would e-mail with available dates and a patient in NY to speak to.

Things were looking positive and I planned to seriously consider Dr. Epstein. I started looking into flights to FL and planning a mini vacation later in the year.

Dr. Epstein said I would be contacted with the name of a physician in my area who had an HT with him. His office manager said she would call me when they returned to Miami with available surgery dates.

Well, unfortunately I was never contacted by his office with the information promised. Fortunately, I had consults lined up with Dr.s Feller, Bernstein and True.

3. Dr. Alan Feller - I was a bit reluctant to consult with him because I could not shave my entire recipient site. However, I read several posts and Spex advised someone to go and ask the doctor in person. His online results and feedback were quite impressive.

Dr. Feller was very professional and willing to share his experiences of the HT process on his computer to demonstrate examples. He drew an outline of a proposed procedure on my head and explained various options available to me. When I asked what he would recommend, he provided specific answers based upon my needs and criteria. He gave me the most thorough exam of any of my previous consults and seemed animated and demonstrated his passion for his work.

No pressure, just his "humble advice."

We discussed his post op protocol, staples vs sutures, shaving the recipient area and realistic healing time frames. Fortunately, he would only need to shave the front hairline wedge that he drew on my head. He claimed that very few surgeons were capable of transplanting the density that he performs. This shaved area could be covered by hair posterior to this region. He would then fill in most of the balding crown area and believed that the Propecia I recently started might provide some benefit. He was a bit more skeptical of the Rogaine but encouraged me to continue using both.

His fee amounted to approx $3.58/graft for 3000 grafts which seemed very reasonable.

I was extremely impressed with his approach to surgery and left his office in excellent spirits. On my drive home, I cancelled my consultations with Dr. True and Bernstein since I believe I found the ideal HT surgeon for me. As an added bonus, he was in close proximity to my home and his fees were lower than all of the physicians I planned to consult with.

I booked the surgery and am looking forward to taking the next step in this journey.

Sharing my NY HT MD Search:

I recently decided to learn more about getting an HT. I am 50 and gradually losing the battle against my receding hairline and expanding baldness in my crown. This website provided me with exceptional resources and a great way to educate myself based on contributing member experiences. I live ?? hour from NYC and decided to look into the local HT community. I was willing to travel if I felt that the result would be enhanced. I am a physician and would prefer to be able to see my surgeon if post op complications arose.

1. Bosley NYC

At the time I decided to pursue HT options, I put myself on Finasteride and Rogaine. I set up an appt with a Bosley consultant on Long Island. Interesting experience:

I was told that I needed 2100 grafts and the surgery would be performed by 1 of 2 MD s in Manhattan. I asked about them and he scribbled down their names and said most patients prefer to just book the surgery rather than meeting the docs first. "It would save you an extra trip to the city".

The proposed fee including operating $12,300 plus an O.R. fee of between $500 ??“ 1000, depending upon the day of the week.

OK, I did have a pleasant chat with the consultant and he provided me with a fair amount of detail which helped me realize that I need to conduct more detailed research.

2. Dr. Jeffrey Epstein; Miami & NY ??“ I was able to get an appt with him while he was in NY. He mailed me several times and was very helpful and professional. His e mail informed me that he would be glad to evaluate photos and give me his opinion. Also, "my fees typically range from $3.50 to $4 per graft, and procedures are performed in both Miami (where fees are a bit less) and NYC".

I met with him in NYC and was quite impressed with his professional demeanor and surgical results. He answered my questions and recommended 2800-2900 grafts. He did not require shaving of the recipient area which seemed to be a plus. His office manager showed me photos and provided me with a proposed surgery fee of $4.20/graft for a Miami procedure and a 30% premium to have the surgery performed in NYC.

I was quite interested in pursuing the Miami option which appeared to be a common practice for many of his patients. I was told that they would e-mail with available dates and a patient in NY to speak to.

Things were looking positive and I planned to seriously consider Dr. Epstein. I started looking into flights to FL and planning a mini vacation later in the year.

Dr. Epstein said I would be contacted with the name of a physician in my area who had an HT with him. His office manager said she would call me when they returned to Miami with available surgery dates.

Well, unfortunately I was never contacted by his office with the information promised. Fortunately, I had consults lined up with Dr.s Feller, Bernstein and True.

3. Dr. Alan Feller - I was a bit reluctant to consult with him because I could not shave my entire recipient site. However, I read several posts and Spex advised someone to go and ask the doctor in person. His online results and feedback were quite impressive.

Dr. Feller was very professional and willing to share his experiences of the HT process on his computer to demonstrate examples. He drew an outline of a proposed procedure on my head and explained various options available to me. When I asked what he would recommend, he provided specific answers based upon my needs and criteria. He gave me the most thorough exam of any of my previous consults and seemed animated and demonstrated his passion for his work.

No pressure, just his "humble advice."

We discussed his post op protocol, staples vs sutures, shaving the recipient area and realistic healing time frames. Fortunately, he would only need to shave the front hairline wedge that he drew on my head. He claimed that very few surgeons were capable of transplanting the density that he performs. This shaved area could be covered by hair posterior to this region. He would then fill in most of the balding crown area and believed that the Propecia I recently started might provide some benefit. He was a bit more skeptical of the Rogaine but encouraged me to continue using both.

His fee amounted to approx $3.58/graft for 3000 grafts which seemed very reasonable.

I was extremely impressed with his approach to surgery and left his office in excellent spirits. On my drive home, I cancelled my consultations with Dr. True and Bernstein since I believe I found the ideal HT surgeon for me. As an added bonus, he was in close proximity to my home and his fees were lower than all of the physicians I planned to consult with.

I booked the surgery and am looking forward to taking the next step in this journey.

KulMD,

Welcome to our community.

Well it sounds like you were doing all the right stuff by consulting with various clinics.

You'd be in great hands with Dr. Epstein, Dr. True, Dr. Bernstein, and Dr. Feller.

I am glad you were able to narrow down your choices and select a surgeon.

I hope you'll share your journey with us by creating a photo album and a hair loss weblog.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

Yes, I agree. It's hard to go wrong when selecting between four top notch coalition physicians within a 20 mile radius.

Although I only consulted with Dr. Epstein and Feller, I feel that I definitely made the correct decision. Dr. Feller seemed to be highly passionate and concerned about my specific needs as the patient. He was extemely honest and candid and even suggested that some patients with my condition would consider waiting another year or two. His office was responsive and on the ball with scheduling my appt and providing me with paperwork.

Without the volumes of great info on this forum, I am not sure which direction I would have taken. Who knows? I could have ended up with a Bosley HT which in my opinion would be more risky and costly.

I am writing to apologize to KulMD re: his perceived lack of good follow up by my office. It is our policy to always get back to patients within 2 to 3 days after being seen, to provide them with any additional information they may need- which often includes putting them in touch with another patient to meet and speak with them. In this case, one of our patients was contacted, and when he replied 2 days later that he could speak with KulMD, we then contacted KulMD with his contact info.

I understand our fees may be a bit higher than others. My fees have been set to reflect the intensive nature of the work we perform - having a staff of 14 full-time hair transplant assistants who work only for me and whom each work on every case we perform, one at at time, thus allowing cases to proceed smoothly and efficiently for the highest possible percentage of growth. Furthermore, my background is as a facial plastic surgeon, having specialized exclusively in surgical hair restoration for the past 14-plus years. Finally, I spend a lot of time personally emailing to every patient who contacts me, and meet with every patient in consultation.

I wish KulMD the best of luck with his procedure.

Respectfully,

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS

Miami and NYC

Dr. Epstein,

Thanks for your response. Yes, you did provide helpful information prior to my consult and I do appreciate it. However, I was never contacted by your office staff or patients following my consult which quite frankly was disappointing. Had I been contacted, I would have responsed ASAP. There was a 1 week gap between my consult with you and another coalition surgeon.

I understand that you spend a limited amount of time in NY and you were quite busy that day with consultations. I was a bit surprised that Roxy did not have your Miami schedule with her to give me an idea of your availibility in early. However when I was told that I would be contacted several days later, it was OK with me. I was literally ready to book the case followng our consult. Unfortunately I was never contacted by your office again. I understand that sometimes details fall throught the cracks and I have no doubt that you would have been an excellent choice for me. Your reputation and credentials speak for themselves.

In retrospect, I had a very personalized & detailed consult with Dr. Feller which left with me no doubt that I was in excellent hands with a skilled surgeon. I now do not have to travel for surgery and have the added benefit of saving several thousand dollars on the procedure. So it all worked out in the end.

Thanks for your kind wishes.

KulMD

One other thing KulMD. Regarding my fees- understand that because we do not shave the recipient area for the procedure, it takes approximately 30% more time to perform it- due to the need to work carefully around the existing hairs. For many men, they are willing to pay a bit more to have it performed this way so that they can much more easily conceal their work in a day or two after the procedure and not have to deal with a shaved head.

Sincerely,

Jeff Epstein, MD

I'm just throwing my two cents in here... I live outside of Boston (NH), and flew to Miami for my procedure with Dr Epstein two weeks ago.

He and his staff are extremely caring and professional.

If you look at the numbers, it makes a lot more sense to fly into Miami for the procedure. My round-trip flight and hotel (2 nights) were about $600 total. That's a lot less than 30% premium on a $10,000 average fee.

In addition, Miami is his main office with all his great staff, all his tools, all his infrastructure, etc. For such a delicate procedure I know I would feel a lot more confortable having it performed in his comfort zone if you will.

In a sports analogy, I kind of relate to your favorite team, home or away. I know I'm more confident when the Red Sox play at Fenway Park vs away.

This is not intended to discourage NY surgery from Dr Epstein, but more to weigh the monetary and comfort factors relative to Miami. It's well worth the effort.

Travel should never be a deciding factor, in my opinion.

In addition, it's a nice reprieve from the daily slog - especially if you have a family. I spent the evening prior in a Miami hotel by myself, relaxing, watching football, without a care of phone calls, children's homework, picking up from soccer, etc. For me this helped calm my nerves, being in my own little zone.

Just my thoughts...

To all,

My thread shares my HT Surgeon search with the forum.

I have no doubt that Dr. Epstein and his staff are true professionals. I was just sharing my experience and thoughts which is what this forum is all about. Dr. Epstein does make a valid point about paying a small premium for not having the head shaved. To be honest, I never considered that. Once again, I reiterate, I was extremely impressed by him during my consult and would have felt quite confortable with him as a surgeon. Dr. Epstein and Roxy were fine to deal with during my consult. They were even gracious enough to waive the $175 consult fee which I had expected to pay.