Is there a generic version of Propecia?

Joey G

I've been taking Propecia for about 2 years. This stuff is getting really expensive- $75 a month. Last time I checked there wasn't a generic available. Is this still correct?

(Not 100% sure it is helping but I'm afraid to stop taking it and find out that my hair loss accelerates further.)

I've been taking Propecia for about 2 years. This stuff is getting really expensive- $75 a month. Last time I checked there wasn't a generic available. Is this still correct?

(Not 100% sure it is helping but I'm afraid to stop taking it and find out that my hair loss accelerates further.)

joey,

In my opinon, you may want to consider asking your physicians for a prescription for Proscar. It's a 5mg pill of finasteride (as opposed to 1mg like Propecia) but can be split into quarters with a pill splitter and 1/4 pill can be taken daily. That way you pay on the average of $20 / months rather than $75.

Best wishes,

Bill

I ordered Finpecia online through a canadian drugstore. I got 400 pills for $200 and all I needed was my doctors name and phone number.

The suspicion with this drug unfortunately is if its a legitimate drug. Since its made in India. I am having a lab test it to see if it contains the proper amount of dosage. Once I receive this info I can repost to let you know.

Ditto Bill's post - I'd go with quartered Proscar. I buy 30 tablets for $67 at Walmart pharmacy. If you take it daily that's $16.75 per month, or, if you're like me and take it every other day, it's just over $8 per month - not too shabby!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.