Does price indicate quality?

I am just starting this research process, and have found (3) well reviewed and reccomended Drs in my area. I will meet with each one before I make any decisions, but one does appear to offer a cheaper rate (3 $ per graft flat rate, everything included (lab fees, meds etc). Should I be suspect of his quality of work? Again, wont make any decisions until I meet with all three, just wondering.

On a separate note, are there any active duty military on here, I am just trying to figure out the best way to get a HT and maintain a Mil haircut.

Price absolutely does not have a major correlation to quality; really, much like location, price should not be a primary factor in the decision-making process. It should be principally about quality and consistency, and you research should lead you to the doctor that you feel the most comfortable with who can satisfy the demands of quality and consistency to the highest level for your given case!

EDIT -- btw, how short are you planning on buzzing? I just ask in reference to the strip-scar you will have to contend with.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

My hair will have to be pretty short, starting at a 0 then fading up. Depending on where the scar will be I should be able to have it about a 1/2 in long there, which from the pic that I have seen I think weould be pretty acceptable. I wont really know for sure until I sit down with a DR and they see whats best for a donor area.

I found all the docs recommended on here during my research to be pretty close in price, say +/- $1,000 on a 3,000 graft procedure. I would say you should pick out your top two or three based on consistent results, then how you like the doctor in an interview, and use price and location as sort of a tie breaker between a couple of excellent docs.

I'm going on six months and I've had two strip surgeries (one with a larger scar), but I could go down to a Army style cut right now. However, my scar only became unnoticeable at around the five month mark.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Price and quality have a linkage to some extent, I suppose. The reality, however, is that sometimes your per graft fee pays for overhead not related to surgery (marketing, etc.). Many of the supposed "hair mills" charge a hefty fee for surgery. Many of the docs discussed on this very board, though, can consistency get better and more natural results. What is more, their fee is often lower. Dr. Rose does consistently elegant and undetectable hair work. I would consider the pricing to be in the middle range.

Please do not let price be the main determining factor. You wear a HT on your head forever. So get it done right. Yes, money is, of course, an issue. Still, in the long run, you are not going to remember if you paid a little more or a little less. You going to live with the result, excellent or poor.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

WantscrewcutafterHT is talking about low price, NOT, high price of HT.

This is human nature thinking that lower price means lower quality and vice versa. Your decision should be based on in the order of importance:

1)doctor's approach

2)results

3)location

4)price

All things being equal, i would go with the lowest price. Don't be a marketing fool and think that higher price means better quality.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Originally posted by Dewayne:

I found all the docs recommended on here during my research to be pretty close in price, say +/- $1,000 on a 3,000 graft procedure. I would say you should pick out your top two or three based on consistent results, then how you like the doctor in an interview, and use price and location as sort of a tie breaker between a couple of excellent docs.

I'm going on six months and I've had two strip surgeries (one with a larger scar), but I could go down to a Army style cut right now. However, my scar only became unnoticeable at around the five month mark.

Dewayne, Did you mean $3000 on a 1000 graft proceedure?

Wantscrewcut, price is not indicative of quality. Some of the best docs charge the lowest prices. So, you really need to research the clicnics themselves.

As far as having a crew cut, here's the easy answer: a scar will probably show through anything less than a #3 buzz (less than 1/2 inch) and should be concealed by hair 1/2 in or longer. The scar will be located about 1/2 to 3/4 inch above your occipital ridge. So figure out how long the hair will be there.

To figure out where your occipital ridge is, feel the back of your head for where the skull meets the neck. You ought to feel a bump at about the height of your ears. That's it.

I found that price differences become more significant after you find out how each practice may be willing to save you money. Some will give discounts for cash rather than credit card payment. Some will give travel allowances. Some will give discounts if you take a short notice appointment to replace a cancellation. Some will give a combination of these, some only one, and some none. And of course the level of discounts for each of these reasons varies from practice to practice. With all of this, I completely agree with everyone else that price, logistical issues and other ancillary issues should only be tie breakers after you have narrowed down you list to a group of doctors who you are having trouble picking from.

I am looking forward to my procedure with Dr. Cooley next week. I feel so comfortable about my choice in large part due to this great community.

Carl

4,686 grafts = 9,905 hairs with Dr. Cooley 9/24/08

My Hair Loss WebLog

Originally posted by Ringo:
Originally posted by Dewayne:

Dewayne, Did you mean $3000 on a 1000 graft proceedure?

No, I meant about $1,000 difference in price on a 3,000 graft procedure. For example, I found the top clinics charged between $11,000 to $12,000.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week