picture of a lost graft?

Hi guys! I am just curious if anyone was able to take a picture of a lost graft. What does it look like exactly anyway? I am sure everyone would like to know. Myabe you guys can post a few pics.

I have never encountered a lost graft, or at least I think so, because almost all opinions state that a lost graft involves excessive bleeding. So far, all I have experienced are scabs clinging on strands of hair. I have seen what seems to be a lump of skin with hair stuck to it, but I think that it is just a scab too.

Any feedback will be very enlightening. Thanks!

Hi guys! I am just curious if anyone was able to take a picture of a lost graft. What does it look like exactly anyway? I am sure everyone would like to know. Myabe you guys can post a few pics.

I have never encountered a lost graft, or at least I think so, because almost all opinions state that a lost graft involves excessive bleeding. So far, all I have experienced are scabs clinging on strands of hair. I have seen what seems to be a lump of skin with hair stuck to it, but I think that it is just a scab too.

Any feedback will be very enlightening. Thanks!

Pao,

That is a good question. I also would be curious to know what exactly defines a lost graft as I also have had hairs with scabs/skin fall out.

I believe that the immediate post-op lost graft would have a "bulb" on the end and would also involve bleeding. I think that those are more obvious. Now what about the lost grafts after the 10 day point. Yes there is the natural shedding, but what about the 3-5% that don't grow or the situations with a poor yield. Does the individual have the grafts just not grow or do they grow and then fall out?

For example--I am at the 3 month stage and the other day I was doing the mirror thing (which I should avoid) and I saw a soldier that had a dark area at the skin surface. I scratched it and it fell off with the skin attached. What is the story on something like that? It was clearly a transplanted hair because it was in an area that was barren before. Those sort of things I am curious about. Was it one of the 3-5% that tend not to grow; was it not strong/healthy yet and will regrow? Strange.

Good topic.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

pao,

I have seen a picture of a lost graft before - which looks basically like the graft before it's inserted which will contain the hair follicle, the bulb most likely attached to the dermis and fat, with blood attached. In losing a hair graft you will most likely experience some bleeding in the recipient area where the hair graft was lost.

I'm not sure where the picture is that I've seen - but it was on this forum over the years.

Bill

Thanks for the replies NN and Bill! To NN, I experienced the same thing as you before as well, even on the 4th month post-op mark. So I am very curious what a lost graft looks like.

Bill, I have been trying to search for a pic in the forum, but no luck. I hope someone will be able to post a pic. A lot of us guys are curious. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I lost a graft 2 days after my 1st transplant in '98. I was sleeping and didn't protect my head and scratched an itch in my sleep. I never found it - but it bled like a fountain. So, although I have not seen a missing graft. I can tell you that you will definitely know if you lose one.

I take that back... I just had a 2nd HT on 03/18/2009 just the other day and Dr. Markou's staff showed me my disected graft - so I assume that it would look the same. Like fatty chicken meat with hair sticking out.