WooHoo I'm scheduled!

Well, I made up my mind. I decided to go with Dr. Hasson and I'm scheduled for approximately 4000 graphs on 20 March. Now I'm really starting to get nervous. I almost cannot believe I'm going to have this done. Its terrifying: what if, what if, what if? You know? Scary.

Why did I go with Dr Hasson? He just seems to be at the top of his game right now and is more or less touted as one of the very very best. Money is not a concern and I can deal with the flying again; just have to psyche myself up. Wish me luck guys!

Wow...surprised to hear that you are going to fly again...but that's great. The best way to conquer your fears are to face them!

Relax my friend...you are in great hands with Dr. Hasson. You chose him for the same reason I did. Dr. Hasson has continuously yielded phenominal results over and over again...I'm sure he'll deliver the same to you. If you need any pointers, I'll be glad to help...both regarind the surgery and the trip...since I did the whole trip to Vancouver not too long ago!

Bill

Thanks Bill,

Couple of questions: 1) How long is the drive from the airport to the hotel/dr. office? 2) How do you do those exercises without pulling your freakin' hair out? I've been doing them but it pulls the crap out of my hair. Maybe I should get a short haircut for now. 3) I'll be getting in around 1230pm the day before; will I most likely be able to meet with Dr. that afternoon before surgery?

Hey pushing-

Congrats to you, my friend! Like Bill, I honestly can't believe you decided to hop back in the plane. Rest assured, I'm sure Doc Hasson will make your trip worthwhile! icon_wink.gif

Assuming you're staying on the Granville Island Hotel, the trip from the airport there and to the clinic neither one are very far. Probably around 5-15 minutes for each depending on traffic. I remember one of the posters here walked to the clinic from the hotel in around 15 minutes, I think?? I was a little nervous traveling somewhere I hadn't been before so I just had the Hotel order me up a taxi around 5:45am.

If you're getting there early afternoon, by all means go to the clinic to meet Dr. Hasson, Joe, Doug..........all great people who will put you at ease and be glad to show you around. As for the scalp exercises, maybe you're being a little aggressive?? I don't remember them pulling out my hairs. I would definitely stay with them if you can because they will help your scalp laxity.

I'm psyched for you...........best of luck.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Well, I have to get over this sometime or another; this seems as good a reason as any! It makes me feel kind of silly sometimes when I think about the fact I've already flown into and out of at least 45 countries. Always hated it though and those 2 "little mishaps" just pushed me to the limit. I'll get thru it! I can't wait! Now I'm starting to think about all the crappy stuff though: I will shave all of it after the surgery to avoid the Bozo look. But, then I'll have to shave it again when it starts to grow or I'll have long hair with short growing fuzz in front of it. Not havin' that. It won't hurt to heep shaving it short the first few months will it?

pushing,

Congratulations on your decision!

I just searched back and found photos you posted back in September. It seems to me from looking at your photos, that you are going to have some spectacular results from 4000 grafts! Judging from what I've read/seen from stories/photos posted here it looks as though you are really going for bear, so to speak. Your crown appeared full in the photos, and your receding hairline didn't appear overly excessive for someone who's pushing 40 (speaking as someone who's been pulling 40 for nearly 7 years).

Best of Luck to you, and I will be particularly anxious to see your results. I hope you'll continue to share after your HT.

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks Middle. "pulling 40" that is funny. I guess now I can change my screen name from pushing40 to something like "kicked in the groin by 40" or smacked in the face by 40"......I'll think about it...

I will definately continue posting/updating here after the surgery. This forum has helped me keep my sanity for the last year and a half since I started obsessing about this. I couldn't bail out now! I am a photo junkie so there will be lots of those and probably lots of "does this look normal" types of questions for everyone here! icon_razz.gif

Hey Pushing...to try to answer your questions...though hairbank already addressed most of them icon_wink.gif

1. About 20-25 minutes from airport to hotel About 5-10 minutes from hotel to Hasson and Wong

2. Have you viewed the video on the Hasson and Wong website? The video can be found here: http://www.hassonandwong.com/mediagallery/av_player/av_player.html. Honestly, as an additional tip, I find it easiest to lay down and do them or brace your elbows against two walls that are close together to help give you further support. The way you do the exercises should not cause any real pulling of hairs. Make sure you position your hands like Joe does in the video, though as I said, try laying down on a pillow and assist your arms by moving your head down when moving your hands upward, and your head up when moving your hands downward.

3. Yes, you will most likely be able to to that. Check with them first, of course...but they personally asked me as I got closer to the date if I was going to be able to stop in beforehand...which unfortunately, I could not because my plane arrived late.

4. There is no harm in buzzing your hair for a few months to keep everything the same length. My only recommendation is don't shave the recipient area after the surgery for about 1 month. Your hair will only be about 1/2" by then anyway...not much to shave icon_wink.gif

Try not to be nervous...I know if you are like me, as you get closer to surgery, you begin to have dreams of the surgery day, dreams of having a full head of hair, and experience some anxiety as you think about all the details of the trip. I found it's best to take things one step at a time and try not to think about everything at once. Your travel and surgery days will be easy...they might not seem it when you look at all the little details you will have to go through...but when you are in the moment, it's easy. Try not to stress...relax, and have fun!

Bill

LaGrange,

Congratulations! I'll try not to use up all of Dr. Hasson's expertise and patience on the 20th! I still can't believe I'm doing it. I wake up every morning second guessing myself; then I look in the mirror, get pissed at what I see and remind myself why I'm want this.

The only downside I can really think of so far is that I'll have worse helmet hair in the summer when riding my motorcycle! I can deal with that!

Hey Bill, I watched that video again and I'm doing the exercises right but my hair is so long right now that my hands just slide around and that's why I'm pulling the piss out of my hair. Need a haircut.

pushing-

Each time I see your pics I'm reminded how good a candidate for a HT that you are. The way your loss is, Doc Hasson should be able to pack 'em in tight and I believe you'll be very pleased with the results. Many have to deal with a bald crown or sides that have receeded more than yours. You seem to be similar to "Biscuit" who posts here some and on another forum and maybe even in a better position as I don't think your loss goes back as far to the crown as his did. If you get more than 4000 grafts you should be in like flynn!! icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks guys; I really hope you're right about being a good candidate and getting good results! I'm really starting to worry about permanently losing too much of what I still have due to shock loss after surgery. I just keep reminding myself I'm in the best of hands and if it happens, I'll deal with it. Nothing ventured; nothing gained. (or is it nothing ventured, nothing lost forever to the deepest depths of.....ok nevermind...)

I've already started putting a photo album together (with as few pictures as possible) that sort of chronicals my hairloss. I have one picture that shows my temples had receeded all the way back to where they are now when my son was taking his first swimming lesson at 2yrs old; he is almost 17 now. But, the whole center forlock area was still thick so it looked ok to me back then. I guess over the last 15yrs it slowly thinned out and narrowed in. Then that horrid thin line area appeared separating the forelock. My hair also actually changes direction right there slightly and angles much more forward and down. I guess that highlights is even more. Maybe I'll put some of the pics in my weblog for fun!

Can you guys tell I'm starting to obsess a little as the time grows nearer? Bear with me fellas. icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by pushing 40:

Can you guys I'm starting to obsess a little as the time grows nearer? Bear with me fellas. icon_eek.gif

Don't sweat it, pushing! Let's face it, we're ALL obsessed with our hair here and some have severe cases of HAIR GREED! icon_wink.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

True Hairbank, or I guess we wouldn't be here in the first place. Love your avatar by the way; Mr. Twain is my all time favorite author. I would give up my hair just to be able to go backwards in time to spend a weekend with him or maybe even Ernest Hemingway. When I lived in Spain for 4 yrs, I tried to visit any little nook and cranny street corner he ever mentioned. As a matter of fact, for my 40th birthday last month my Dad gave me a 1932 Spanish Mauser 308 that was used in the Spanish Civil War. Its a little beat up but still beautiful and solid. And damn heavy too.

Well, my script for propecia ran out last week and my doctor moved on to Arizona. Damn it! So two weeks now I've not taken any. DHT suseptability damage doesn't usually start kicking ass again for a couple months right? Anybody know of good online sources for it?

Thanks for the avatar complement - I must admit I chose it because I liked the hair/western look icon_cool.gif - though I'm also a fan of Mark Twain!

I'd get back on the Finasteride ASAP..........as for ordering online, I personally wouldn't recommend it to you. When I looked into the same, I read of instances of inconsistencies with meds and some other issues. If I were you, I get with another derm, or HT surgeon from the US who can write you a script. Even if you have to pay for the consult with them the peace of mind purchasing in the US from a reputable distributor would be worth it.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

pushing,

I perfectly understand your "obsession" man...we all do. I know for sure, I started posting a lot more after I booked my surgery and have posted still even more as I'm "waiting" for my hair to grow in. That doesn't mean I'll disappear off the face of the planet after it all grows in because after all, I do like being here and helping people...but we all experience it.

I echo hairbank when I say get on Finasteride ASAP. I can't speak for how long it takes for DHT to start "kicking ass" again after you stop taking it...but I don't think it's worth the risk. Since you are scheduled with Hasson, see if he can get you a prescription for Proscar (I don't think he gives prescriptions for Propecia) which is better anyway, because it's the same thing when taken in quarters and cheaper.

Bill