Rogaine: how long do you have to stop using it prior to a ht?

After recently hearing of so many people achieving great results when using rogaine + propecia, Im considering getting on them. But, Jotronic told me during my consultation with them that they typically do not want their patients on rogaine during a certain window prior to the transplant as it thins out the blood and causes the donors to pop out of the incisions making the procedure take much longer.

I forgot how long prior to a ht you have to stop using it though? Any one know?

I ask because I would like to get a ht within the next 6-12 months and wonder if it is even worth the hassle at this point, rather than just waiting until after the ht...

thanks Kamcal. Since you went to dr. h--the same doc I want to go to--I was wondering about what to expect when you actually go in the office.my consultation was online and on the phone with Mr.T (jotronic). Do they tell you your donor quality, as in on a scale of 1-10 regarding thickness, caliber, etc? Put you on a scale for over all candidacy for a ht? Show you pics of other patients that they feel are similar with respect to your individual characteristics? did you get the max # grafts possible? do scalp exercises?...

I know, Im fuc$ing curious george...

any details you could provide would be much appreciated...

ng2gb,

I did a little bit of scalp exercises prior to my surgery. I know I should have done more. I was planned for 4000 grafts but we could only get 3664 due to the lack of laxity. So, yes that was the max we could get out of that session without the risk of scar stretching.

I remember Dr. Hasson's comment on my hair characteristics that my hairs are coarse but he didn't give me any rank as in on a scale of 1-10 nor did I ask him about that. He said that I am a good candidate and I trusted his judgement. I had a great experience. I just have to wait for my final result. I am glad to hear you are doing your HT with Dr. Hasson. He knows what he is doing and you will be in best of hands.

oh..yes, we also did take a look at previous patients' photos that had similar loss. Particularly, I wanted to look at their hair lines.

BTW, I just updated my weblog. You can check my progress at 3 months post op. It is still too early in the game to see the final result.

Again congrats on choosing Dr. Hasson for your surgery.

KamCal

3664 Grafts with Dr. Hasson - Oct. 5th, 2007

My Hair Loss Weblog

I'm researching HTs also and three months is very suprising. That's long enough to undo any benefits someone may have received from minoxidil. If someone still has native hair they are trying to keep and minoxidil has grown, or more likely, kept hair that would have miniaturized and disappeared, that three month break can cause minoxidil withdrawal and all that hair will shed quickly and most likely only some will come back, and thats if you start back on minox within a certain window of time.

It happened to me after long-term minoxidil use. All was good until around 2-3 months off the stuff. Then it was like a switch was flipped and it all fell out in about a month (hairline as well as top of head).

I would definately not recommend starting minox if you know you will need to stop for longer than a few days at some point.

Since I've been back on it for six months now and still have quite a bit of hair on the back two thirds, 3 months off would probably be a deal breaker for me. Not gonna go through that again.

I wonder if 3 months is pretty standard?