Looking for a referral/recommendation in N. Virginia area

I am too old to be helped, but my poor son (19) is rapidly going bald in the middle of his socially active years. I am convinced hair restoration is the best answer for him (tried Propecia, etc. already). First, can anyone recommend a very competetent and fairly priced MD in the Northern Virginia area for a consultation? Secondly, I am wondering about the practicality of having the treatments done a bit at a time instead of all at once...any experiences, thoughts, appreciated. Thanks, guys.

I am too old to be helped, but my poor son (19) is rapidly going bald in the middle of his socially active years. I am convinced hair restoration is the best answer for him (tried Propecia, etc. already). First, can anyone recommend a very competetent and fairly priced MD in the Northern Virginia area for a consultation? Secondly, I am wondering about the practicality of having the treatments done a bit at a time instead of all at once...any experiences, thoughts, appreciated. Thanks, guys.

Nittanyfan,

At 19 and in that shape, I would almost anticipate HT is NOT going to be a good option, he will be a NW7 or worse in due time, I agree use the medications and hope for the best, but remember supply/demand may not be there. I would definately be on Propecia NOW (IMO).

Good Luck !

NW

I agree with all the other posters above -- 19 is waaaaay to young!!!

You asked about having the teatments done a bit at a time... Most people would not recommend that with FUE or with a strip extraction. The reason is shock loss. While the chances are reduced with FUE (and that's the only way I'd pursue multiple smaller sessions), the is still the risk that hair in and around where the transplants are placed will be shocked and fall out. Some may regrow, others may not. So your son could end up with less hair than when he started.

Mr. T

• 2 weeks later...

Back then I had a lot of hair left, and the HT blended in. But over time I continued to lose hair, and now have nothing left but an island of hair on top and a bunch o' scars in back.

Your interest in supporting your son is admirable. I'm sure everyone here will agree that having a supportive person with whom he can to talk about this will help your son a lot more at this age than will any surgical magic...

my two cents

I am trusting by your screen name that you a PSU alum. I graduated there in '94.

Anyway, I was a Norwood 3v going on 4 when I had my first hairlift by Dr. Brandy in Pittsburgh. Having these scars and his crappy work, severly affected my life in a negative way for a decade. I am currently in the process of getting this fixed. I know how your son must feel right now. Being in college and balding is a horrible experience to go through. However, getting scars right now could make things worse.

If he does anything at all, I would go the route of FUE so he still retains the ability to shave his head without noticeable scars.

However, as others have stated above, it probably would be best to do nothing for now. If you would like me to talk with your son on the phone concerning this, I would be more than happy to do so. I dont want to see anyone going through what I have experienced at his age. My email is psusteven1@aol.com if you want to get in touch with me.

--steve