Do Hair Systems Work??

aj6543

aj6543,

Welcome to our forum community.

It's an interesting question you ask. I guess it depends on how you mean when you ask if they work.

Hair systems can be a viable option to cover or conceal baldness. They often come at a high cost, both in terms of purchase and maintenance. It also takes time to maintain it.

As you are doing your research, be careful not to be fooled by fancy technical terms that make it seem like something it isn't. A hair system is a wig, period. Many companies make high quality hair replacement systems that can look natural in my opinion with continual upkeep.

Be sure to do your research and speak with former or current hair system consumers and find out what they like and don't like about them.

Best wishes,

Bill

AJ, before you get blasted on this site(you will)....Please be mindful you are coming to a hair transplant forum and asking about the alternative....The type of people on this forum are hair transplant sucess stories, they are going to hit you with a ton of reasons why HT are better than weaves...While these advantages are accurate, I personally think Weaves are great...They do have their drawbacks....First of all the best weave IS detectable to TRAINED eyes...People who have had weaves can spot ANY weave, no matter what...However, the vast majority of people cannot tell a good weave is a weave...But your best friends WILL be able to tell, a Long term girlfriend WILL be able to tell....This is because with Weaves, they are constantly thinning out and then being replaced...you'll have glamorous, thick hair for a month, then over the next 2 months your hair will slowly become raggity and thin...Then voila the beautiful hair is back (this is obviously when you replace the weave every 3 months)...Because of this, people who see you all the time will be able to tell...On top of that, they are very costly, third the upkeep is an absolute bitch....That being said, there is a difference between looking non-noticable and looking good...If you are okay with a few people knowing about your wig (I think a lot of this depends on age), are are okay with the upkeep and cost, I think Weaves are an EXCELLENT option...But keep all that in mind...Let me know what you think, as I am also considering going the hair weave route , but I am 23, and my friends give me a hard time about having thinning hair, I know it would be impossible to hang with them with a hair weave...If I was 30+ with more mature friends, I would probably get a Weave....However, if youre not going to be comfortable with it, I dont think its worth it...But if you can say yes when asked if your hair is fake with confidence, then go for it man....

Almost forgot...Whatever you do ...STAY AWAY FROM HAIR CLUB!!!! Their weaves are much more detectable...Find a guy who has been doing this for years and works for himself...In this case the independant guys do a FAR better job than Hair Club...People back me up here, the Hair Club weaves look like shit...But some Weaves do look VERY GOOD!!

The one week I wore a HCfM system was one of the worst of my life. I actually took off from work to drive four hours one way to get it removed. I couldn't stand the thing.

I was 32.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

23years,

I don't think anyone should blast anyone for considering another solution other than hair transplant surgery. We should welcome all balding men and women and help them find the solution that is best for them.

Surgery isn't for everyone and hair replacement systems, in my opinion, can be a viable solution for those who want to purchase and regularly maintain it.

A hair system wasn't something that ever appeared to me personally, but for some, it may be a good alternative.

The good news is, later down the road a hair system wearer can always decide to get rid of the hair piece and undergo surgery if they choose. I must say however, that many long term hair piece wearers from what I've heard become emotionally attached to their system and becomes something they hate to love and love to hate.

Best wishes,

Bill

Honestly, I have a friend who wears a piece -- Hair Club For Men, at that.

He had figured I was getting a HT; we went out for dinner one night, and I asked him how he guessed. He smiles and says: "I had one". I was flabbergasted, as I had secretly damned him for having such insane hair, and I was also perplexed as I then could not understand how he had the hair he has.

It turns out he had went to Bosley when he was 20, and later on decided to just piece up. And a HCFM system, at that.....

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• 11 months later...