Female 32 Hair thinning.....

Irishgirl

Hi all,

I don't see many females on here !! I've been experiencing hair thinning for a few years now, but it was pretty unnoticeable up until recently. I am now considering a HT.

Are there particular ones for women?

I read somewhere that female HT's are not as good, why is this? I would have thought they'd be better due to the fact that it's just covering up certain areas??

I also live in Ireland & I doubt that the expertise is the same as in the states. Can anyone recommend a Dr who is experienced with female HT's & has a good track record, in the US??

Thanks all.

Hi all,

I don't see many females on here !! I've been experiencing hair thinning for a few years now, but it was pretty unnoticeable up until recently. I am now considering a HT.

Are there particular ones for women?

I read somewhere that female HT's are not as good, why is this? I would have thought they'd be better due to the fact that it's just covering up certain areas??

I also live in Ireland & I doubt that the expertise is the same as in the states. Can anyone recommend a Dr who is experienced with female HT's & has a good track record, in the US??

Thanks all.

Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Rose, Dr. Epstien, Dr. Dorin, Dr. Feller have all produced very detailed photos of female repair work that is both natural and undetectable.

I think a call to each clinic would be in order to compare and contrast.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I'm a female with hair loss issues and am having a HT procedure with Dr epstein in April.I've done alot of research and consults and feel very comfortable with him.

Irishgirl,

Welcome to the forums. Firstly, you are right...there are NOT many girls on this forum. But this forum is for men and women alike. If you are here, we all have a common bond, the struggle with losing our hair. I am thankful, however, after talking to many people here, that we have OTHER common bonds other than such a negative hardship like this, however, it is nice that we can all relate and encourage one anothere here. So I hope the fact that there are mostly men here does not scare you off.

Now...onto some general statements. Men and women typically suffer from hairloss differently, though of course, it's difficult regardless. I believe that if a woman suffers from typical male pattern baldness (MPB), that most likely, she will be a good candidate for an HT. Yes, there are women who lose hair the same way men do. But then there is Female pattern baldness (FPB) which is more rare, but still possible. In this type of hairloss, hair from all regions, top, sides, and back are thinning and falling out. A woman with this type of hairloss is NOT a good candidate for an HT because there is no SAFE donor zone. Even if a woman got an HT who is suffering from FPB, there is no guarantee that the transplanted hair won't fall out. The best way for a woman to treat FPB is with medication.

B Spot gave you a list of excellent surgeons that have produced excellent results and pictures all over the forum. Be sure to search for "female HT" using the "find" feature on this forum.

I hope I was helpful in some way.

Bill

Does anyone think Irishgirl is Irish Homer in disguise?

You know, you toss a few back......flip on the computer.......?

Anyone? LOL!!!!!

Anyway, there is a guy named Irish Homer who has had some very good experiences here in the States.

I would think that a private message to him and a phone call would put you at ease as well.

I an sure he would not mind at all.

I'll mail him some instant Guiness if he feels put out in any way.

icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck with your search Irishgirl!!!

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Irish girl, welcome to the forum, as B-spot says i have been over to the states twice for HTs and would be glad to talk to you about my experience.

B-Spot even the Guinness here is'nt strong enough to confuse me for a girl icon_biggrin.gif

IH

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

Hi Irishgirl,

I'm a 36-year-old female who had a hair transplant 13 months ago today. My thinning was in more a typical "male" pattern (recession at the temples, there was very little hair left there) and my procedure was designed to restore a more "feminine" hairline.

I don't want to take away from anything that a veteran like Bill has told you (the man is tireless in his efforts to help others on this forum, and is a great asset to it) but I believe he gave you some erroneous information. He stated that the overall thinning pattern experienced by females is more rare than a male pattern balding in women. Actually, the opposite is true. In most cases, when women are noticing hair loss that can't be ruled out by any factor other than a genetic predisposition, they will shed in a pattern that is more diffuse overall. It is much less common for a female to thin in a "male" pattern such as I experienced.

I'm not meanin' to bag on you, Bill, so I hope you don't take offense. I just want to make sure Irishgirl is getting the most accurate information.

Irishgirl, have you undergone testing with your general practitioner, a dermatologist, or your OB? The reason I ask is that for women, thinning can often be caused by hormonal issues. Something as simple as starting, stopping or changing birth control pills can lead to major hair shedding in some women. It's a proven fact that up to 50% of women will experience a major hair shed about 3-6 months after delivering a baby, because of the hormonal upheaval taking place in their bodies. Other factors can come into play as well. For women, it is particularly important to rule out all other factors before deciding that the culprit is genetic thinning.

If your thinning is in more of an overall pattern (a widening of your part, less hair over your entire head...Google the Ludwig Scale to see if this looks like what you are experiencing) you are probably less likely to be a good candidate for a hair transplant. The reason being is that there is no "safe" donor zone. But if your hair loss is more in a localized area (receding hairline or temples, for example, more in line with a male pattern) you will probably be a better candidate for hair transplantation.

Send me a private message if you want more information. I wish you the best. Again, if you haven't been to your family doctor, dematologist or OB, I'd head there first before thinking of a transplant.

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has replied. I really do appreciate it. I think that women who experience hair loss find it so much harder to cope with then men, really because it is mostly accepted for a man to lose his hair, for a woman, it's generally not !!

Thanks B-spot, will I find details on those doctors here?? I'm guessing so. Lol, no I'm not Irish Homer in disguise icon_biggrin.gif

Mil, I'd love to know how you get on. Where is Dr Epstein based? What kind of hair loss are you suffering from? PM me if you'd rather not say on the open forum icon_smile.gif

Billero's, thanks !! I will search the forum & look for as much information as possible.

Irish Homer, thanks appreciate that. I might just do that icon_smile.gif

Angel, thanks for your reply to. Yes, I agree. From my research of FPB I agree with your description. I probably should have given some more background to my particular story. I've never had any children, so cannot put it down to that. I'd say my hair has been thinning, at the crown, since I was in my mid twenties. It was never noticeable & depending on which way I wore my hair, nobody would notice. However, in the past couple of years the thinning on top has gotten more noticeable. Also, I have jet black hair & have started to grey, which makes it even more noticeable. So, if I dye my hair & wear it a certain way (left split over the crown) then you wouldn't really notice (unless I told you).

My hair loss is more on the crown of my head & a little to my right temple (not all the way, but some of it) my left temple is still ample enough & the back of my head is fine. So, I think I might be ok as a candidate for HT ??

I am however exploring the obvious route first, PCOS (because I have had cyst's before on my ovaries) Thyroid etc. I found a really good Dr this time around & he has ordered every blood test under the sun !! My blood tests are this Monday, so will take it from there. But, from the description of my hair loss, do you think I would be a good candidate?

You know I used to have a lovely head of black hair, but those days are gone icon_frown.gif

S

Irishgirl, I'm not going to hazard a guess on whether you're a good candidate or not, simply because I'm not a HT doctor. It sounds to me like you are on the right track by looking into PCOS and thyroid, as well as anything else your doctor thinks is appropriate.

I wish you all the best as you undergo the testing, and hope you find some helpful answers. Above all, if you do decide to look into a HT, I would start by investigating the Coalition docs listed on this site. From the home page of this site, there is a large icon on the upper right hand of the page that you can click on to find them. I think most of them, if not all, will do a consult long-distance if you can send them good enough photos. Do not let cost or geography be an issue of who you consider.

Best of luck to you, dear. You're right...this situation blows particularly hard for women, for whom our hair is supposed to be our "crowning glory." Oh well, at least it's more socially acceptable for us to wear wigs.

Hi Angel,

Of course, I wouldn't expect you to either. I guess I'm just wondering on other peoples experiene, do I sound like I might fall into the HT category. I'd always ensure I had a really good consultation (of a few!!) before proceeding with a HT.

Yes, I guess it's important to get all of the other sources of hair loss investigated first. I'll probably discuss this with my Doc as well.

True on the wig front but, to be very honest, I don't think I'd wear a wig !! I feel like that might be too obvious (but maybe wigs are better in the states, not so great here !!)

Thanks again, I will be on here for a while !!

S

Angel and Irishgirl,

I'm glad you are both here and hope you both are here to stay to continue to offer your insight and seek help when needed. Best of luck to both of you! We are all brothers and sisters here with a common hardhip that we face. And yes, even as hard as us men have it, I can certainly understand why women would have it even harder. Hopefully us brothers can be here to support you too.

Bill

Hi Irishgirl!

Dr Epstein is located in NYC and I'll report everything about my procedure the end of the month. I have lost hair at my temples and thinned out on the top, crown, of my head. I have alot of donnor hair, fortunately.

I think that women who experience hair loss find it so much harder to cope with then men, really because it is mostly accepted for a man to lose his hair, for a woman, it's generally not !!

I don't know about this... it's like saying putting on weight after pregnancy is ok for women. Just because it happens to others doesn't make it any less sucky when it happens to *you*. It's just as tough for us guys icon_wink.gif

Irishgirl,

You are welcome. If I can help you in any way, let me know =). I'm glad you will stay for awhile icon_wink.gif

Youngguy,

Certainly it is tough for us guys...but in our society it is more acceptable for guys to lose hair than women. Many guys can get away with the bald head and goatee look, whereas women can't grow a goatee...or maybe some can...I have met some women who can icon_wink.gif. Either way, the goatee look couldn't be pulled off by women :P

Bill

Bill, thanks. You've picked up what I meant to icon_smile.gif YoungGuy, that's really what I meant. I'm not taking away from guys losing their hair, because I know that this can be very emotional for them. However, it is more socially accepted. As Bill says a guy can get a way with the "shaven" or "bald" head look, but a woman really can't (unless you are Sin???©ad O'Connor !! Even when I go to my hairdressers now, they openly discuss my "thinning" hair with me !! Like, "Oh, it's such a pity because it's really thick here or here" etc, they'd never do that with a man because it's "accepted" that men go bald. There is a general ignorance out there in relation to women losing their hair. I think you are almost made to feel like it's your fault for losing it !! But I'm not bitter icon_biggrin.gif !!

The bearded lady Billo ?!! Luckily I'm not contending with excess hair too, but I do know some women on the PCOS forums that are. That is a double wahmey. Not enough hair in the right places and too much in the wrong places icon_frown.gif

X

Irishgirl,

LOL...well yes...excess hair would be ashame too...however, don't you wish you had that problem? I mean...if I had hair in the wrong places I could just shave it off! Getting rid of hair is much easier than regrowing it (unfortunately). It's another one of those situations like "Why is it so easy to get wet but so hard to get dry?" Puzzling! So easy to shave hair, but not so easy to grow it.

Well, since you used Sinead O'Connor as an example, I suppose we could now update this list to Britney Spears! Maybe she will learn how to grow a goatee icon_wink.gif

But yes, you are right...the battle with hairloss is difficult for everyone, but I agree that women have it especially difficult and CAN be more emotional. Of course, how hard people take it depends on the individual too, however, as a general rule, it's more "acceptable" for men to lose their hair...but we all still hate it.

But I do hope that this place will be a support and help to women too. The area of hairloss seems to be predominantly male centered...hopefully more and more women will feel comfortable coming to a place like this to receive support as well.

Bill

Have been missing in action for a few days, well it was St Patrick's day here !! Took a few days off to enjoy the celebrations. Back to the grindestone today though I'm afraid icon_frown.gif

Ah yes, I forgot about Britney !! Although, I don't think she has the face to pull it off !! Sin???©ad O'Connor had such a pretty face & beautiful eyes that she got away with it. I think poor Britney is a little lost behind the eyes these days though.

I agree, I hope more women find this site & post on it. I remember reading somewhere that 1 in 4 women will experience hair loss, hair thinning during their lifetime. That's a lot !

Yeah I admit...Britney doesn't look as good bald. But then again, I wasn't really a fan of Snead O'Connor bald either...but she was still pretty.

1 in 4 women is a lot...though I guess the odds would go down significantly if we were talking about obvious hairloss. Most people, do thin out a little bit over time (men and women), however, not all people lose it where other people notice. I guess we are some of the unlucky ones icon_frown.gif

But there is hope....which is why we are here icon_wink.gif

Bill

Yeh, that 1 in 4 figure probably includes every form of hair loss.

I'm finding out more about female hair loss. Generally women don't lose their hairline (like men) and generally get an oval shapped "thinning" behind the hair line. I don't know if you saw that link I posted on the questions & answers section, very interesting !!

LINK

irishgirl,

I actually did see the link and started to watch it and then Internet Explorer crashed on me...grrrrr. Gotta love computers. I'll go back in and watch it again later.

Though women may not lose their hairline that frequently, it can happen. In fact, I've seen women get HTs because of hairline recession. But I have also seen the oval shaped thinning that you are referring to as well.

Bill

Yeh, I imagine that happens too. I think they refer to that as male pattern baldness as opposed to the female pattern baldness?

Anyway, it's all very interesting, although if I had a full head of hair I probably wouldn't be that interested !! Oh the irony !

Irishgirl,

I know what you mean...if I never lost hair, I wouldn't be here and wouldn't care so much...BUT, I guess then God wouldn't have used me to help people here...so all with a purpose I suppose. Though I admit...I still wish I had a full head of hair...at least these HTs are bringing a good amount back icon_wink.gif

Bill