What is the best way to cut up Proscar into 4 pieces?

nobuzz4me

I just switched from Propecia 1 mg to the generic Proscar which comes in 5 mg pills. Any suggestions to get an accurate cut without too much crumbling or waste? Does Proscar come in 1 mg? Thanks for your suggestions.

NoBuzz

Personally, I just use a pill cutter. My first round of Proscar was the name-brand, pentagon-shaped which made it a little difficult to cut. After my first script ran out, I purchased generic Proscar, it was round and much easier to cut.

Maybe someone else can post a better method for cutting the Pentagon-sided pill.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I use an aftermarket 5mg finasteride in a square shape and bite off a piece aproximately a quarter of a tab per day.

It's not really that scientific that you need exactly 1mg per day. If one day you get 1.4mg and the next day you get 0.7mg it's still going to work.

Proscar cuts very easily and you shouldn't have any waste or crumbling using a pill cutter (with both the brand-name pentagon-shaped pill or the round/square generics).

As brianf mentioned in his post, you don't have to be super-accurate with the cuts. You'll end up averaging a sufficient dosage in the long run.

Thanks guys, its bad enough to have to follow a regimen with vitamins, minox, nizoral, supplements etc, then throw in trimming pills it gets to be a pain. We can all be pharmicists in our next life?...

I actually did not know about pill cutters and I had been getting very uneven doses. Good to know you do not have to be exact. Thanks again.

NoBuzz