Still not healed

I've got this unhealed spot on the back of my head - near where the donor strip was removed. It is about half the size of a dime. If I press on it with my finger nail it feels really soft. I've also noticed that a scab will not form around this spot so it can heal. I'm about 5 weeks post-op and figured all should be healed by now. I'm wondering if it's possible that an unremoved stitch could be the reason for this spot not healing? Or if a stitch was left in should the skin just heal over it? I've felt back there and can't feel anything...so I'm not sure what to do next. I'd drive and see my hair surgeon but it's a 4 hour round trip drive I'd like to avoid if it's nothing serious.

I've got this unhealed spot on the back of my head - near where the donor strip was removed. It is about half the size of a dime. If I press on it with my finger nail it feels really soft. I've also noticed that a scab will not form around this spot so it can heal. I'm about 5 weeks post-op and figured all should be healed by now. I'm wondering if it's possible that an unremoved stitch could be the reason for this spot not healing? Or if a stitch was left in should the skin just heal over it? I've felt back there and can't feel anything...so I'm not sure what to do next. I'd drive and see my hair surgeon but it's a 4 hour round trip drive I'd like to avoid if it's nothing serious.

Have you at least called your doctor or emailed him with details? I would do that. I never had any thing even close to the size of half a dime on my donor area. I would absolutely call my Dr.

Toad

Originally a Norwood 3 -- Now?

1/4 proscar daily started 9/01/2005

1791 FUs - Dr. Lehr - Dec. 2006.

1300 FUs - Dr. Brad Limmer - Jan. 2009.

Hi Hairdini,

I agree with Toad, contact your doc and explain to him what you are experiencing. He would be best able to address the issue. I've not experienced anything like that but if so, I would definitely be on the phone with my doc just to be sure everything is ok.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

hairdini,

I'm trying to remember the details of your situation but am failing to at the moment. How far are you out from surgery? Who was your doctor?

I agree with the others that contacting your doctor is the best choice right now. I have heard of this from a few other people, but it's best to get the advice of your doctor.

Bill

Yep, I agree. Call your Doc ASAP.

It could be a number of things but they can advise you best. It's possible he may jus recommend you go see your GP and save the trip. Might be an infection which a round of antibiotic could take care of....who knows for sure.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairbank hit this one on the head!!!!

If you have not healed in a timely manner and interals were used.... a round of anti-biotics will cure you up.....

I fought a bit of the same issue myself---- body does not like those internal sutures!!!!!

Your going to be fine-- nothing to worry about mate---call the doc and go forward!!!!!!

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Check with the doc but at 5 weeks it's hard to make a generalization because everythng is still very raw.. At 2 plus months post op everything is about 65-70 % healed and covering nicely

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Guest Abbie

Absolutely call your MD and let him/her know what is going on. If you had a double layer closure sometimes an internal suture will fester and work it's way to the surface instead of absorbing. Sutures are after all a foreign body and sometimes your body reacts to them.

I am not a doctor and all opinions I share are my own. I am not compensated by any doctor to be here and am here out of my own free will to offer helps, knowledge, and wisdom to anyone who requests it.