best place to get a hair transplant for a receding hair line

Hi, I have attached some pictures of my hair line and I was wondering what is the best place to go for my particular hair line. I have heard many times that overall, Dr. Shapiro is the best, but I also know each situation is different. I have been told I will need around 500 grafts. I am looking to restore my hair line to its former state with thickness that looks the same as the top of my head. Thanks for your help.

top.JPG.d06e5b90c4f59465de68497d674c8269.JPG

Hi, I have attached some pictures of my hair line and I was wondering what is the best place to go for my particular hair line. I have heard many times that overall, Dr. Shapiro is the best, but I also know each situation is different. I have been told I will need around 500 grafts. I am looking to restore my hair line to its former state with thickness that looks the same as the top of my head. Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by 123:

You will need more than 1000 grafts for the hairline.

A transplant for 500 grafts is a non essential ht.

I will strongly recommend you to research the fue alternative for such small numbers.

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

I would agree with Thinkingaboutit - I don't think you need a HT - there's only some slight receding that may not even progress further and the rest of your hair looks healthy.

PB

I won't tell you to wait and I won't tell you to go forth. That is a decision that you have to make for yourself and one that other forum members and any ethical physician that you consult with can help you with. Dr. Shapiro is definitely a stellar choice.

I will ask your age and if you are currently taking any hair loss medications such as Propecia and/or Minoxidil. Your temporal recession will only go back further and from your photos you appear relatively young (late 20's?). Staving off further loss with an internal DHT inhibitor is crucial in your fight against your hair loss.

Also, you will definitely need more than 500 grafts to achieve what I speculate you are looking to achieve with any mentionable density.

Take a look at the graft calculator in the Hair Loss Multimedia Center for a guide on how many grafts you may need at different densities.

Finally, welcome to the forums. Read and ask questions. There are a lot of knowledgeable posters here that have been in your shoes and have been down the same road, myself included.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I am only 20 years old. I am currently not taking anything, but I plan to start on propecia next week. I figures propecia would stop (most) future loss and a hair transplant would fix what i have already lost. thanks again for your help

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by thinkingaboutit:

Wait. It is too soon for you.

I think this is always a tough decision, especially at such a young age because you can't tell how much more hair you're going to lose. You may get a HT for the receding hairline, but then the hair behind it may fall out because it was genetically programmed to fall out and you're left with a clump of hair in the front and baldness behind it. Then you could be doing endless HT's trying to keep up.

You may need to look at family genetics to see what the pattern of baldness is, but even that could be dice roll.

I was 30 when my hair started to recede. Fortunately, it stopped soon afterwards. I waited until I was in my 40's before I took the plunge.

It's a tough decision at your age. Good luck. Hope everything works out for you!

:-)

WHy at age 40 would one care so much about their hairloss though? I don't understand this

You guys should be married with a wife who has been through thick and thin with you, and doesn't care too much how you look!

I'm 23. My career, girls, social life, EVERYTHING is on the line as well as my insecurities.

Why be bald now when this is the time I should seize everything?!

Originally posted by Arson:

WHy at age 40 would one care so much about their hairloss though? I don't understand this

?!

Because, u may left with an odd looking hairline , maybe even a dense one, in front, with nothing behind that.

Then, not only the girls, but the boss, kids and friends will all keep looking up towards your scalp when talking to you.

Worse still, you may have lost most of your donor by that time in an attempt to create a low, dense hairline in your 20s.

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

You make it seem as if 40 is about to die and should be more concerned with that. At almost 40, I feel no different than I did 20 yrs ago physically and still look rather young also being in extremely good physical condition. Having your hair fixed is a "for you" decision, not for anyone or anything else and that does not change with age. It all boils down to what you are comfortable and happy with regarding your appearance. I am very grateful with NOT having been faced with this at a younger age; as I know myself well, I would have most assuradly made a rash emotional decision without first educating myself about it.

Originally posted by Arson:

You guys should be married with a wife who has been through thick and thin with you, and doesn't care too much how you look!

I'm 23. My career, girls, social life, EVERYTHING is on the line as well as my insecurities.

Why be bald now when this is the time I should seize everything?!

I can understand your frustration, but this is the time to be smart as well as seize what is out there. I was around a NW3 at 21 so I feel that I can relate pretty well.

I cannot stress enough that stabilizing your hair loss with meds is imperative when pursuing surgical hair restoration while in your 20's and even beyond. Look at it this way: If you started thinning this early, then you are extremely more than likely to recede more, maybe MUCH more. An ounce of prevention is worth two tons of cure in terms of hair loss.

Make an informed decision and don't just run to the first doctor that agrees to perform surgery on you. Do your research for an ethical and skilled physician that is looking out for your long-term best interests. I had my procedure done at 25 and I think it was a great decision. I was a NW4 and I had stabilized my loss with a diligent regimen of meds. If you do the same and are serious, then by all means, do your research and consult some great docs for the next step.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog