Cardio and weight lifting contribute to hair loss?

This is just a stab in the dark since I've only heard about this once on a forum. Is there any truth behind this?

It might in the sense that increased testosterone levels with the same DHT conversion rate would in fact create more DHT in the blood stream. And of course, DHT levels are correlated to hairloss in some men.

Still, this is a big "might". I would think that the benefits that working out gives you (better muscle tone, mass, and fitness) certainly outweigh the risks of increased DHT levels.

I really haven't answered your question. Maybe a doc can. I'm just rationizing some things here.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Hello

My view on hairloss and exercise is that Yes, it can possibly make your hair fall out. It depends on how you exercise.

If you exercise vigourously, then you could possibly stress out the adrenal glands, and in turn increase the production of testosterone, which is converted to DHT, and eventually cause hair loss if your hair follicles are sensitive to the DHT.

Although doctors sometimes argue with this idea, it certainly makes scientific sense.

I worked out vigourously EVERY DAY up until last Sept. I mean I was really tough on my body!! People would literally tell me that I was nuts for working out so much!! I would run 5 miles everyday, and do light weightlifting. (If i wasnt at the gym everyday for two hours, I felt like my day was not complete).

Being that I am a woman, and was so obsessed with how my body looked, I certainly think that the excessive exercise increased the testosterone levels in my body to the point that it caused side effects. (hair to thin).

I would also be extremely careful if you are taking any supplements. Allot of those will increase or convert testosterone also.

Avoid:

L-carnitine (Hydroxycut, etc)

DHEA supplements

Bottom line just dont kill yourslef, and over do it!!

Jenn

Guys, There is no truth behind that one. DHT is the problem! exercise is not. Totally bogus.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO SCIENTIFiC proof of any kind. i would 100% disagree. DHT is the root cause and genetic programmed genes to self destruct when DHT binds to them. That is fact.

Your opinions are typically so strong you really ought to go to school and learn something. I have heard from several Physicians that weight lifting can raise "dht & testosterone" levels...I am not saying you are right or wrong...just at least give the thought a chance....

"My opinion" icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

matthew:

Lifting weight in itself doesn't increase hair loss. No kidding.

However, resistance training causes muscle tissue to break down. That muscle tissue has to be repaired, right? The body synthesizes dietary protein into amino acids and building blocks (other proteins) that result in muscle cell regeneration and growth.

Okay, you know what triggers that protein synthesis? Ahh yes, it's our good ole friend the happy hormone testosterone.

And it becomes a supply and demand thing. If I have a lot of muscle to repair because I'm doing resistance training, then the body responds by pumping out more testosterone.

But where in all this does the body say: "Okay, I need more testosterone to rebuild damaged tissue, but in the mean time, is okay to curtail testosterone to DHT conversion?"

DOESN'T work that way. Unless you have a genetic resistance.

To say generically "lifting weights absolutely cannot lead to more rapid hairloss" is a false statement. It can for the reasons I've stated.

If you've got "super hair" that's genetically resistant to falling out, then your statement is correct. If not, then exercising MIGHT in fact speed up hair loss because of increaed DHT levels in the blood stream (which triggers hairloss in some men, like us).

Hope that clears this up.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

I lift, bit feel the DHT cirulating in my system is curtailed largely because I take Propecia. I would like to see a doctor respond to the issue in depth...it would be great reading.

1) Does Propecia limit my weight training ability ?

DHT is part of the anabolic steroid function for guys that actually use them. Hence if Propecia works against the effects of DHT....does it also work against my bodies ability to produce muscle mass ?

At my gym there are some men who cycle steroids and then also take Propecia at certain intervels ?..I dont believe this to be healthy and in fact seems each cancels one another out.

I only take Propecia, because like a lot of you guys I want my hair to stick around, and I keep my weight and condition in check while also taking Propecia.

This issue is one that I have read several mixed comments on from Physicians and Trainers..your answer seems to be based on who you ask ?? even amongst the professionals.

2) Can weight training alone cause bodily functions to produce more DHT ?

Interesting stuff - with no real concensus.

NW

[This message was edited by NW on May 15, 2003 at 08:34 AM.]

NW. Iam in school! After beening out for ten years I'm now a full time student. The point is weight lifting does not cause hair loss.

Matthew,

Thats awsome !! & good luck !! Come back an do HT - and remember us regular guys here !!!

My point is mainly that I have heard from both Doc and Trainers that Weightlifting "Can" raise levels of DHT & Testosterone...a body's reaction to increased load. If these levels are higher than perhaps they may impact hairloss properties if you have MPB in your family ?. But I have no opinion because nobody can answer this question with certainty ?...it is one I have been trying to hunt down for a few years. I will just stick with Propecia anyways.

NW

Umm, I think I answered all this.

Resistance training causes more testosterone to be produced in a man's body.

Propecia blocks a certain percentage of testosterone to DHT conversion.

In fact, in Merck's clinical study, patients saw up to 15% more circulating testosterone. No kidding, because the testosterone to DHT conversion process is being inhibited by Propecia but the amount of testosterone produced by the body isn't be inhibited by outside drugs.

NW:

I think Propecia actually can HELP your workouts. If more testosterone usually leads to more muscle from resistance training (as I've already stated), then in theory, you'll see better results from resistance training.

I've experienced this phenomenon on a mild level.

I'll measure my testosterone levels in my yearly physical in a month or two.

My physical proof is for the first time in my life, I have "bigger arms". And I've been working out with weights regularly for about 8 years. I'm no body builder, but I get to the gym at least once a week. In the past, getting a bigger chest and back was always easy. Bigger arms was seemingly an impossible task. But here they hang now. Pretty cool. icon_cool.gif

matthew:

Point is: CAN lifting weights increase hairloss? YES. But it can't cause hairs that are genetically immune to hairloss to fall out. Remember, DHT levels contribute and are the prime culprit in hairloss.

WILL lifting weights necessarily increase hairloss? Clearly, NO.

I think this isn't a clearcut case.

What we know is that DHT levels and age trigger hairloss if the hair is genetically programmed to eventually fall out.

Resistance training can increase DHT levels.

I guess that is my case.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

This is a confusing issue to say the least !!!

Vocor

I agree Propecia can lead to weight gain, luckily in your case its in the form of muscle !! other guys (less atheletic ones) are not as lucky - it goes around the gut..stick with the Gym brudda !! I too noticed the ability to hold onto a bit more muscle mass.

Other people for arguments sake will say "due to the feminizing properties of the drug you retain more weight,,females do have a higher body fat %" I say weight is weight, use it for muscle or use for fat. Added Testosterone doesnt seem to be feminizing to me ??? oh well !!

Study 1

I would love to see a study that shows an exact relationship between...lifting weights while on Propecia and the results vs without Propecia and the results.

Would the guy on Propecia have bigger gains ? or lesser ?

Study 2

Take 2 identical twin males

Twin 1 lifts weights regularly

Twin 2 is sedentary

Is the hair loss comparable over 10 years ? or would the weight lifting twin have accelerated hairloss ?

I see a lot of bald weightlifters....I mean a lot of em !! sure some probably take steroids...but I would love further studies on this topic.

I mean Doc's ruled out wearing Hats as a possible hairloss accelerator..lets see the weightroom studies. Perhaps there would be absolutely "zero" impact on hairloss when weight training ?? who knows..I had hairloss and lift and see so many others..but it could be just coincidental to ???

Oh well..life continues anyways !! lol.

NW icon_cool.gif

Not a Doctor but I asked my Doctor the very same questions. He claims it's all genetic. Certain events can acclerate hairloss. He saw mental patients with all types of chemical imbalances sporting full heads of hair. I had ex-friends who used steroids, heroin, drugs, etc.; they still have great heads of hairs. Man has been losing hair since the begining of time.

EastCoast:

Thanks for that info from a doc. I believe it is an accurate statement.

NW:

Study 1: ASK and you shall receive, my brother.

Ahh yes, I'm doing that exact study now. Including pre and post Propecia testosterone levels (but only one sample each, unfortunately). I hope to release that info to this forum in the next couple of months.

Clearly, it is not a clinical study. Just my results. The cold, hard facts.

You bring up good points: I've put on mass but also body fat over post HT. But the fat may be because I'm exercising cardiovasularly less.

Or maybe the drug. The weight gain has been less than 10 pounds, and definitely some muscle.

Anyway, the added hair and muscle IMO clearly outweighs the increase in body fat as far as effect on my personal appearance.

Anyway, I have records of daily activity to substantiate or refute my results. Maybe I'm exercising more this year. I guess we'll see when I compile the final results in a while.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

One more thing to add . . .

Post HT, I DEFINITELY have been exercising less so everything will heal well. So that, as opposed to the drug, may have some effect on the body fat increase.

We'll see what the stats and results bring to bear.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

Vocor,

Thats cool ! the study.

I agree genetics is the 1st hurdle with MPB, but we must know what accelerates or retards the inevitable. I am sure science wants the same answers.

Clearly (thank god) Propecia slows the process.

Cheers !

NW

Okay, someone had to mention twin studies, so of course I have to chime in.

I am an identical twin, so it makes for some interesting (and convenient) comparisons. I am more physically active than my brother, and specifically, I have been weight training for about three years. My brother has significantly more hair loss than I do, but I have also been on Proscar and Rogaine for years as well.

Obviously, that fact is going to skew the results, but it demonstrates that even if weight lifting causes detrimental side effects on your hair, they can likely be overcome with effective drug treatments.

Point made. DHT= genes= hairloss. Weightlifting plays no part what so ever. i have been a weightlifter for three years and my hairloss started way before that.

Umm okay, we are going in circles here, looks like. Yeah, hairloss can start prior to lifting weights and weight lifting can in some cases contribute to the speed of hairloss due to increased DHT levels.

Why does steroid use sometimes cause aka speed up hairloss? For the same reason normal weight training can: increased testosterone production without curtailed testosterone to DHT conversion rate.

That's a pretty simple argument to make (again).

Yeah, I've lifted weights and I can't tell if it is a contributing factor to hairloss speed in my case. I'm not quitting lifting regardless. I might have lost the hair more slowly without lifting. Can't tell in my case. Only a sedentary twin in my case would be proof.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

Matthew,

Partner your looking at the short story rather than the whole question here....

I am "not" disagreeing with the premise that genetics determines MPB.

I Agree...." I AGREE "

Like Vocor said,

The question is simply what role does weight lifting play in "accelerating" your MPB. Genetics makes you a MPB candidate to begin with...we know that much already ?

Does weight lifting raise your testosterone and DHT levels enough to accelerate the inevitable ?..or in other words will I reach NW7 "faster" if I am pressing heavy weights since it raises my testosterone/DHT levels ? (after all steroids accelerate hairloss often)

In my case it seems I lost hair faster after starting some intense weight routines...but also it could be coincidental ? I cant say for sure....this was "before" I started Propecia...now I still do the weights but also take Propecia...and things have been great, like Teddw has mentioned above. "My" problem is solved. but my curiosity still lingers.

Nothing is fully clear on the relationship between the following variables:

(if so please show me a study)

Lets say you "already know" you are prone to MPB...K ?

Now-

Since weight lifting raises t-level's/DHT level's

Wouldnt you lose hair faster ?

Has anyone seen a medical study on this ?? not speculation but a bona-fide medical study ??

I would find it interesting reading

NW

In regards to what Jenn said before, maybe the fact that you were running 5 miles a DAY (plus light lifting) was, indeed, over-doing it??

I only ask, not because you started losing hair soon afterwards, but because I've read that, contrary to lifting, running/jogging actually burns the testosterone from your body - essentially lowering your levels of it. If this is correct, then I have to ask how long were you sticking to that regime for?

I can see where testosterone would increase in the beginning as your body is getting used to having the muscles required for such a run, but surely once your body's built what you need (and tuned your heart), then you should be decreasing testosterone?

It's something which must be unique to the individual, which is why I have to ask - did it FEEL like you were going overboard, and sending your body into repair mode each time, or did it feel good and 'right'??

I jog 2 miles, then do calf and stomach exercises, and then 20 power-butterfly laps in a 35 foot pool, followed by a spell in the sauna, 3 times a week, and, while I certainly had my share of 'burn' when I started this regime, each time I do it now, although I sweat like the dickens, my body feels terrific afterwards, and I really don't get any 'burn' worth mentioning. If anything, it tones me up and keeps my shoulders godly, without raising my testosterone levels (if the above premise is correct regarding cardio vs. lifting).

Any thoughts?

Regards,

HarryLemon