IS IT EVEN WORTH IT??

otto

Im scheduled for 2nd ht in about a month. I had my 1st a year ago with one of the most highley rated docs out there. My 2nd ht is basically touch up work and for more density added to my new hairline wich took 1500 to create. The doc said it would be 300 to 500 to reach my goals for the added density I am looking for. He said I also have really good donor hair for the future if needed. The procedure will also be done strip. FUE is not an option right now$$$

Any input would be greatly appreciated..

What I don't understand is how you really could get any added density from only 500 grafts.

I don't know... Is 500 grafts worth it?

I think this would be a personal preferrance over anything. I wouldn't, unless you knew that this would be your last needed HT, and are only looking to put, icing on the cake, so to speak.

im sure you will see improvement with just 500. but like hbt said it may be wise to only go forward with it if you are sure this is the last ht you will get, otherwise you may be wasting your time.

but 500 does make a difference.

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

i have been through 2 strip procedures and I would never do it again for a mere 500 grafts. I will only go through another strip to max out. I guess if the strip for the 500 is a lot shorter in length and thus maybe a lot less trauma to your body, AND you think it will get you where you want to be, it could be worth it. I just dont see how 300-500 grafts will do much, even with 100% yield. good luck

Otto,

It sounds like the 500 grafts are going behind your hairline into the front forelock area? If so, you should get "some" visual benefit out of it. If the distribution is covering a larger surface area (including vertex), you may not gain as much appearance of added density.

That's why it is important for the HT doctor to "measure" any recipient area, determine original density as well as the level of density you are seeking. Then an appropriate graft estimation is more likely to acheive what you are looking for. Let's say for example you have original density of 80 hairs per cm2. Your goal is to acheive the illusion of coverage without noticing scalp. You have approximately 20 hairs there at present. You will need at least another 20 hairs added to that area to acheive the result of coverage, ot half the original density. The more surface area the grafts are spread out, the less density there will be visually speaking.

Just trying to save you any possible disappointment and then later concluding that you should have waited or did more than the 500 grafts. Food for thought.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

500 grafts is not going to give you a major WOW impact. As Gillenator suggests, you may want to use more grafts, or wait until later for an additional surgery.

If you are getting a strip excision (how most HT are done) then it is not efficient to do lots of small sessions. Lets pretend you need 5000 grafts to accomplish your goals... it's better to do two sessions of 2500, then to do ten sessions of 500. Every time you take a strip out you are creating some collateral damage, and it is an inefficient way to use your donor area. You will have better conservation in your donor area (crucial for long-term happiness) if you avoid piddly little sessions.

For most guys, I don't see any point in opening up your donor area with a strip for less than 1000 grafts (unless you are a veteran patient just trying to "finish"). The yield from just a few hundred grafts does not warrant the surgical down time and scarring that is created, in my opinion.

Your posts really concern me, because you don't sound satisfied, and more importantly I really doubt if adding another 500 grafts is going to change your mind in a major way (who knows though). You need to think things over, discuss your concerns with your doctor, and do some research on strategies and techniques.

Hope that helped...

Arfy's right. The problem is of course that you probably don't wish to wait until you actually need a "mega-session" but are anxious about what you see starting to happen, and want to stop it.

I didn't even consider HT as an option as I slowly saw myself getting balder & balder. I got kind of resigned to it.

You may consider cutting your hair short - it really conceals the balding, and these days buzz cuts and even shaven heads (at least here in the UK) are "fashionable".

I know it's tough, but before I took action I was completely bald on top . In May this year I was ready for a big session and took the plunge with 3,500 grafts, and I've no desire to go back for more. What's more, I expect my balding had pretty much run its course, and don't expect much more to come. If you do it piecemeal, you're going to not only get the collateral damage, but see more balding in your existing hair as time goes on.

Tough choices! .... icon_smile.gif

Frankly, I'm horrified that the doctor would encourage you to have surgery for 500 grafts. If you had a VERY small area to fill (like 10 square centimeters), then 500 grafts barely sounds right, but if the area is truly that small then DON'T BOTHER. A small surgery like that can do a tremendous amount of damage, and much more destruction would result than improvement. I was in this exact same situation 3 years ago.

My guess is that the doctor is lowballing you and quoting you a number that he thinks you can afford. RUN! icon_cool.gif