Scabs or grafts?

otto

Im seven days post from my HT and just started today helping my scabs off by using the pads of my fingers Very lightly. Now I beleive what were coming off were scabs but (kinda gross) i took a close look at what was coming off and on some of the scabs, little hairs were in there. So does anyone know if this normal and its just the normal shedding post op or is this something i have to worry about? Thanks allot

Im seven days post from my HT and just started today helping my scabs off by using the pads of my fingers Very lightly. Now I beleive what were coming off were scabs but (kinda gross) i took a close look at what was coming off and on some of the scabs, little hairs were in there. So does anyone know if this normal and its just the normal shedding post op or is this something i have to worry about? Thanks allot

I was told to help the scabs along, but gently, and the more stubborn scabs will fall off in time. My doctors post-op instructions stated that many of the transplanted hairs will fall off with the scabs. As they did in my case. So I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Cam

I was told to help the scabs along, but gently, and the more stubborn scabs will fall off in time. My doctors post-op instructions stated that many of the transplanted hairs will fall off with the scabs. As they did in my case. So I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Cam

Otto

You have nothing at all to fear, my friend. What you are describing is perfectly normal. Dr. Rose knows what he is doing. I had my HT done with him on 8/6/03, and you're definitely in good hands.

I am just now hitting the 3 month point and my hair is just sprouting out all over the place!! It's pretty damn exciting. And I had the same experience you are describing. The hairs do initially fall out, but it's just the hair, not the graft itself. It's still in there, just waiting to pop through the surface.

You can follow my entire progress on THIS THREAD

Best of luck to you. The months ahead will be truly exciting times for you.

Tedd

If you have a scab come off in you hand and you are bleeding, you might be concerned. Also, if you remove something that looks like a small grain of rice with a hair in it, that means you lost a graft.

Otherwise, remember that the follicles that are transplanted are emerging from below the skin surface. So scabs on the surface should not be affecting the roots of the follicle.

Some people think it is best to let nature take it's course, others think it's okay to help loosen the scabs after a week or two (within reason). Be extra careful with your grafts, in any case. I would err on the side of leaving them alone, if you have any doubts.

otto,

It sounds like you are doing OK. All of my scabs were gone in five days, except where I had stitches from some old grafts being removed.

I helped the healing by using graftcyte spray regularly (more like continuously) and then gently rubbing with the pads of my fingers as you described. I did it while I was in the shower and had no bleeding of any kind.

Mr. T