Donor Scar bleeding?

Im 3 and 1/2 months post op. For the past few days a little section of my scar seemed irritated and raised a bit. I think it was from brushing my hair too aggressively. Well today i was checking it out and tapping it and all of sudden. it started to bleed and a bit of puss came out. After squeezing all the blood and puss out, the scar flattened a bit. Does anyone know why this mightve happen. Will this affect how my scar heals?

Im 3 and 1/2 months post op. For the past few days a little section of my scar seemed irritated and raised a bit. I think it was from brushing my hair too aggressively. Well today i was checking it out and tapping it and all of sudden. it started to bleed and a bit of puss came out. After squeezing all the blood and puss out, the scar flattened a bit. Does anyone know why this mightve happen. Will this affect how my scar heals?

Goldstar,

This is probably normal however, "puss" often sounds like something is infected.

Typically around this time, hair may be starting to push through the scar and may become ingrown. The "raised" bumps therefore are simply ingrown hairs trying to work themselves out. In my experience, combing or brushing your hair around the scar can cause the pimple to break open causing bleeding.

If you are noticing any major irritation or visible abnormalites, be sure to contact your hair restoration physician.

Best wishes,

Bill

At 3.5 months, if the area around your donor scar is soft, gives off some pus, and bleeds slightly it is likely infected and needs to be treated with a round of antibiotics.

You should contact your doctor immediately, just to be on the safe side--- he can prescribe something right over the phone, especially if your issues are localized to a small portion of your donor scar.

It is better to err on the side of caution, IMHO--plus your doctor WANTS to know about these issues as they occur so they can help you out!

Let us know how things go, cool?

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.