My HT with Dr. Epstein

rjvw

As I stated earlier I had my Ht with Dr. Epstein on Wed. the 17th. After previously reviewing my photos and then discussing my goals, Dr. Epstein figured that 2100 grafts should do the trick. Being that I'm forty five I did not want to try to look 18 again. I'd rather have a slightly receding hair line that would look natural then attempt to get back my youth with a hairline from the 70's. Dr. Epstein drew a few guide lines on my head with a Sharpie and I was off to the procedure room. His terrific staff but me at ease as the prepped me. During the numbing process one of the techs (females) even rubbed my arm just to let me know everything was gonna be okay. I can't say enough about their detail to calming and reassuring you, all the while knowing what must be going thru your head. The numbing was virtually pain free and before I knew it my strip was removed. After a few hours that seemed to fly by I was given a lunch and bathroom break. Then back to work and before I knew it I was done.

I was given meds for pain which I only took (1) pill, just in case. When I got back to my hotel room I spent more time trying to get the mounted mirror off the wall (without breaking it) so I could get a better top and side view. As a side note, I would recommend bring a handheld mirror if you travel. I had some slight bleeding but again no real pain. I will say sleeping was a little rough. I was afraid to lie down so I slept in a chair. The next morning I went back to Dr. E's office. They was washed my head. Dr. E checked out his work and I was good to go. I did get to spend some time with a few potential clients showing them first hand how it will look. God were they surprised and impressed.

I am very happy with how I look post-op. I was really expecting to look kind of freakish. I am experiencing some swelling on my forehead, but I'm really not that pink or red on top. The scabbing is not that bad either. As a matter of fact when I got home I had a conversation with my daughter (22) and she didn't even notice. I was going to tell her about what I had done but why bother. I went to work today wearing a hat but come Monday I'm going back to work without it. My head does feel tight. It's like wearing a hat that's too small. But nothing I can't live with for now.

My goal is to hopefully see results sometime in July. That will be the six month mark. I know everyone on this great site says to be patient. And like I did in the past, I'm going to take your collective advice.

My best advice is to gain knowledge. Ask questions. Stay with only the best of the best doctors. Have patiences. Be realistic. And with that....... you can't go wrong.

rjvw:

Amazing post op "lack of redness" and scabbing! I am looking at almost the exact same amount of grafts and my hair is almost exactly where yours "was" going into your procedure. Can you tell me a few things?

Since Dr. E. worked around your existing hair, did he give you any idea what you might expect from shock loss in the main work area?

Does your new "mature" hairline start at or slightly behind your existing hairline (if you are like me, where you had just a few hairs sprinkled up front that technically was the front of your old hair line?

Finally, did he give any indication if you might need a follow-up procedure later on for max fullness? Or, was he of the mind that this should be all you'd want for the area he worked on?

Looks great! As I said, I go in for a March procedure, so I'll be sure to post before and after pics too. Thanks for any info you can share.

RJ,

I saw your photos, looks very clean, you are probably in the swellhead stage for the next few days. Keep elevated and ice forehead and donor areas. I am in about the same boat as you, age 46, just started propecia a few months ago for really the first time.

I think your plan is perfect, rebuild the frontal zone and let propecia respond in the crown. Even if it does not work as you like you can revisit the crown later. How is your donor situation??

You will get a good result from 2200 grafts. Some may say you will need more in front but if you have thicker hair shafts for example, it will cover nicely. You cannot tell just by graft numbers if that makes sense. The other thing is how many 1,2,3 &4 hair grafts were there? That has an effect on the overall result also.. I think Pat, the publisher, says count hairs not grafts.

I am sure in July things will be very exciting! I am post op 9 days so I am also looking forward to Summer results!

NoBuzz

Neptune, Dr E. and I never really talked about shock loss. I just figure if it's gonna happen I should just deal with it. My main goal was not to change who I am but rather just improve. I never had thick, almost solid type hair, so that was not my goal. Plus down the road if I run into someone that I have not seen in a long time I want them thinking what looks different about me without having this massive hair jump at them. Sometimes less is better.

One thing that has come up is the swelling. I woke up and my eyes and bridge of my nose are REALLY swollen. I was not expecting that. My wife said I look like I was in a fight or got stung by a bee. I'm sure I'll be fine. Just part of the process.

Thanks rjvw. I agree you don't want to go to any extreme. How does the donor area feel? Did Dr. E use the tricho technique on your suture? Hope you can share some pics as time goes on cause I'm really curious as to how things progress (the healing) over the next couple of weeks before you settle into the waiting phase.

Neptune: Everything feels great. Sure, I feel a slight tight feeling but no pain. The only problem I'm having is that I swelled up around my eyes. I called Dr. E and he said not to worry. Everyone reacts differently. It should be gone in a couple days. And yes I will post more photos, maybe even later today. And as for your question about Dr. E's technique, I never got that deep with him. I just know from what I can see thru the mirror my donor scar is nothing more than a VERY FINE line.

rjvw,

Your swelling is normal...a lot of people experience it. Check out London_Lad's swelling a few days post op...probably one of the worst swelling experiences I've ever seen...yet of course, he also had one of the largest sessions I've ever seen. (7761 grafts)

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/galleryview.cfm?id...don_lad|gallery3.cfm

What might help comfort you, as it does me, is to follow someone elses progress, especially people ahead of you, so you can see their various stage pictures...this will give you an idea of what to expect. Keep in mind, however, that everyone is different...so growth times and rates will vary from patient to patient. That's why it's find a few examples...some early starters and late starters in terms of growth.

Be sure to check comments people made under your photo page too.

Bill

Bill

The swelling has already started to go down. I did spend more time in a reclined postion during the day and night which may have helped too. Right now I'm looking forward to washing my hair. I want to really clean the donor area knowing I must still be careful everywhere else.

I have not lost any new little guys yet but I'm sure they'll be falling out soon.

I've posted more photos to help anyone still worried about post op appearances. It was VERY important for me to look normal as can be. I'm very happy with Dr. Epstein's work. I would be happy to give feedback or info to help anyone out there with questions. Also, I'm getting my stiches out Friday by my family doctor. Can't wait.

rjvw,

You should be free to gently massage the donor area with shampoo in the shower on day 2...in fact, I recommend you do so unless your doctor has given you different instructions for some reason. All 3 docs I've had, I've been able to wash the donor area almost right away...of course, you don't want to be too vigorous and you want to avoid pain...so massage gently.

Bill

Neptune, I'm using the Graphcyte spray around the clock. I have lost a lot of scabs but not to many new little guys. I am washing my hair as I did before my HT. My stiches came out today and my donor scar area does hurt a little more than it did before. It also feels real tight. I'm guessing this is all normal. But for me the best thing so far is NO ONE has noticed a thing. I have not gotten one strange puzzled look. It's kinda cool.

Does sound cool to think you can have a procedure like this and a few days later be walking around without anyone noticing. From your pics I can see why. Dr. E. does good work at minimally invasive grafting it seems. Hope he can keep it up for me in March. It's going to be fun for you this summer when you start to see the results!

• 4 weeks later...

Bill, I'm at about 16 months now. I had the front 1/3 done. Just imagine a full head of hair in the front 1/3 and that's what I look like. Starting to thin behind though so sooner or later I will need HT number 2. I am 52 now, with still plenty of donor hair. I was about a Norwood 4 at the time of the HT, with almost no hair at the front 1/3.

• 2 weeks later...