scared to death

about 20 years ago i had a HT - everything worked well - i'm in my 40s now. i might be the only one to notice but i'm starting to see the HT hair look a little "pluggy". nobody has said anything. i feel my worry is ruining my quality of life - i think about it constantly. i've already met with the doctor, everything looks good, price not a problem - i'm just scared. i know if i do it my life will be so much better. at this point i don't even mind going bald!! i simply don't want for people to notice in anyway that i've had a ht. any thoughts would be appreciated. i use propecia and 5% monoxidil - any ideas on shampoo or other options? i work in a job where i can wear a cap if needed. what about a hairdresser after the HT? tons of questions - i'm stressed. thanks

about 20 years ago i had a HT - everything worked well - i'm in my 40s now. i might be the only one to notice but i'm starting to see the HT hair look a little "pluggy". nobody has said anything. i feel my worry is ruining my quality of life - i think about it constantly. i've already met with the doctor, everything looks good, price not a problem - i'm just scared. i know if i do it my life will be so much better. at this point i don't even mind going bald!! i simply don't want for people to notice in anyway that i've had a ht. any thoughts would be appreciated. i use propecia and 5% monoxidil - any ideas on shampoo or other options? i work in a job where i can wear a cap if needed. what about a hairdresser after the HT? tons of questions - i'm stressed. thanks

Struggling;

You and I are in a similar boat. I too had a 'mini' graft transplant 17 years ago. At 41, I don't mind thinning but I think about the unnatural look I'm starting to notice as well.

Sometimes people look up at my hairline, and I don't know if that is because of the thinning or they can see the unnatural 4-hair grafts hairline.

I'm going to Cooley in 20 days, and I think I'm going in telling him first and foremost; I want a "repair job". I actually think women are attracted just as well to thinning heads, but I'm not so sure about the plug look.

And, I'm thinking when I'm 47 it's going to be even more noticeable. You can use the 'find' above to see the thread I posted a couple months back with some pics.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Not that I'm trying to pick up women, but a lot of things in life come back to that reference point! icon_biggrin.gif

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

If your scared about the procedure then your worrying about nothing If your worrying about being noticed ,well you said you could wear a hat. Just make sure you pick a doctor that has tons of pictures and a great reputation .Finding one of here is the best place to start. The doctor obviously is the most important part otherwise people may notice long after it grows out.

wow - keep me up to date on how the repair goes - it might inspire me

i am absolutely miserable

what makes me feel worse is that my wife is georgeous - i'm talking like model georgeous and i look like i'm aging like a fossil

struggling,

Welcome to our hair restoration forum. As you may be aware, hair transplantation has moved ahead light years since the days of slot grafts and mini-grafts.

You may consider researching hair transplantation and consulting with a few elite hair restoration surgeons about giving you a modern hair transplant that will much better camoflauge the old plugs using follicular unit grafting. Another option is to have the plugs removed however, this will leave scarring, so combining this with a modern follicular unit hair transplant to camoflauge either the old plugs or scarring from removal will most likely be optimal.

Though I've never had old hair transplant work, I know the emotional impact these things can have. I know I was very affected by my hair loss and it impacted me socially.

I trust you will find this community resourceful in your research.

Bill