RIP OFF by Hair Replacement Center Westbury NY

Jack

I made an appointment with Steve the owner and negotiated a price. Steve left out a few details that I found out that evening when I researched HRC services on the internet and with 2 of his former customers.

He claimed the patented HRC FOLIGRAFT system would require maitenance by HRC every 8 weeks. The fact is it requires a rebonding (glueing) every 2 to 4 weeks. It should be noted that each vist is $65 plus tax and tip. He claimed the system (the Rug) would last for years. The fact is it might last for several months and then it needs an over haul and a few months after that you need another new wig. Thats right you have to have two at all times one that you are wearing and one that is being worked on. Within 12 hours after I signed the contract I called Steve of HRC Westbury and canceled the contract. Steve assured me I would receive a refund on my credit card.

Two months later there is no refund and my credit card company told me that Steve has refused the refund as the contract can not be cancelled once the work has been performed. Thats right Steve ripped me off for $1500. I never even received his crummy wig. The money is just gone

I made an appointment with Steve the owner and negotiated a price. Steve left out a few details that I found out that evening when I researched HRC services on the internet and with 2 of his former customers.

He claimed the patented HRC FOLIGRAFT system would require maitenance by HRC every 8 weeks. The fact is it requires a rebonding (glueing) every 2 to 4 weeks. It should be noted that each vist is $65 plus tax and tip. He claimed the system (the Rug) would last for years. The fact is it might last for several months and then it needs an over haul and a few months after that you need another new wig. Thats right you have to have two at all times one that you are wearing and one that is being worked on. Within 12 hours after I signed the contract I called Steve of HRC Westbury and canceled the contract. Steve assured me I would receive a refund on my credit card.

Two months later there is no refund and my credit card company told me that Steve has refused the refund as the contract can not be cancelled once the work has been performed. Thats right Steve ripped me off for $1500. I never even received his crummy wig. The money is just gone

You said the money can't be refunded once the work has been completed, but it sounds like the work was not completed because you never went in to get your rug (and there is no way they completed the rug in the short time between you signing and canceling). You should call the credit card company again and insist that you did not receive a product or service and thus should not pay for it. I don't think the company can refuse the charge back. Generally, the credit card company makes the chargeback and then blocks the company from re-charging your card - the company has to prove that you received the product or service. Visa has a limit of two months for chargebacks. Perhaps you did not speak to a knowledgeable credit card rep. I would definitely try again with the credit card company or threaten to contact the better business bureau, state medical board, etc. That usually gets their attention.

The contract states no refunds will be given once work "has started." Although I Cancelled 12 hours after the contract was signed Steve the owner of Hair Replacement in Westbury told My CC company that he had started work and the wig could not be cancelled

Anyone else have experience with this company?

Thank you for your suggestion I wonder if you still feel I have recourse

I believe in most states there is a grace period for return of products and/or cancellation of services. Not sure about NY, but in Florida it is 3 days. You might check the blue pages of your phone book to find a consumer line to verify this. To my knowledge the statutory policy overrides any counterclaim by the seller, as long as the buyer used due dilligence to halt the sale, etc (which you did).

Moreover, because you have not taken delivery of the product, this transaction was a non-event. If I were you I would call back the credit card company and raise cain.

Good luck, Andy

• 2 years later...

I too would call the credit card company and have them not pay him. I think that there would be a few days where iof you didn't want his services then you could cancel them. Might try the Better business burea and see if he has any complaints against him.

I have had a merchant ID for years.

As a general rule, if you did not get the product, then they have to give you your money back.

I would definitly call the CC company and complain.

However, the contract may have locked you in. But if you complain to the CC company, it will cause them grief. And, depending on their number of complaints could cause them to lose their CC account or increase their cost of processing credit cards.

Give'em hell.

Anytime anyone calls me to complain I just give them their money back and send them on their way. In the end it's cheaper financially and emotionally for everyone involved.

dammit, Buster! Its so much easier to dislike you when I dont agree with you!!!

haha! just kidding!

but seriously, that is true, many companies will refund money just to get you "out of thier face" and to not raise a stink, it just depends on how aggressive and how much of a "pain-in-the-ass" you are to them.

Good luck!

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Jack

I feel your pain! After I bought my first hair system from Apollo they also said that I would only have to come in every eight weeks. This was not true, you had to come in every four weeks at $50-$60 a shot. When they placed that system on my head, they turned me away from the mirror and said that they needed to cut what little hair I had up front a little shorter. What they did was shave my hairline. I hated the thing but I could not walk out of there with a half shaved head. As soon as I got home I stopped payment on my the balance due which I had just paid. I had already paid 50% of the charge which I am sure more than paid for the system. They did call me and try to get their money but I insisted to the CC company that they had deceived me and I would not pay. They did give up and go away. I hope to burn my piece sometime over the next year!

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by altair:

Jack

I feel your pain! After I bought my first hair system from Apollo they also said that I would only have to come in every eight weeks. This was not true, you had to come in every four weeks at $50-$60 a shot. When they placed that system on my head, they turned me away from the mirror and said that they needed to cut what little hair I had up front a little shorter. What they did was shave my hairline. I hated the thing but I could not walk out of there with a half shaved head. As soon as I got home I stopped payment on my the balance due which I had just paid. I had already paid 50% of the charge which I am sure more than paid for the system. They did call me and try to get their money but I insisted to the CC company that they had deceived me and I would not pay. They did give up and go away. I hope to burn my piece sometime over the next year!

didn't you get a HT from this forum? Are you still wearing a hairpiece?

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"