Tagamet and Head and Shoulders

My brother, who has a head full of hair, but does notice his somewhat receding hairline, has told me that Tagamet has grown hair on him, and that Head and Shoulders shampoo has caused his hair to fall out. Any one have any comments on Tagamet and whether it has grown any hair on them, and if you think Head and Shoulders is good shampoo or a another Hair causing Hairloss product. No Hats involved on this subject, my Brother does not wear a Hat, and has a full head of Hair!

Good topic. I have been using Head and Shoulder for past 2-3 years, but I can't tell if it has helped or caused any fallout. But somebody told me not to use H & D and go with milder shampoo. Do you guys recommend anything?? What shampoos are considered mild shampoos??

I dont know why I am wasting my time replying to MTbaldy, but other newbies might believe what he says, so.....

copied and pasted a response from Dr. Lee below:

""If you use a shampoo containing ketoconazole that can effect the biochemical environment around the follicles, then it is possible to reverse hair loss. Any other shampoo will remove DHT from the surface of the scalp, but they are of no benefit in preventing MPB because it is the DHT around the hair follicle that is causing the damage. These shampoos and conditioners cannot change the biochemical environment around the hair follicles, which is deep in the dermal layers of the scalp.

Otherwise, whether you never shampoo or shampoo daily will not affect the age of onset or the rate of progression of MPB.

Shampoos are designed to clean the hair and leave it manageable and looking good. If they do that for you, it's as much as you can ask for. Other than shampoos containing ketoconazole, which have been shown to reduce DHT in the scalp, shampoos really have no effect on hair growth or loss.""""

Originally posted by johnnie69:

I dont know why I am wasting my time replying to MTbaldy

Nothing better to do maybe? This time I won't bother.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

I dont know why I am wasting my time replying to MTbaldy, but other newbies might believe what he says, so..... Your not wasting your time. The case of the "Hat and Baldness" may be an isolated case. You have to remember, I wore it most of my life, hardly ever took it off. I wore it in extreme conditions. So that is why the Hat caused my Baldness. But I do believe wearing a Hat under normal conditions will not cause Hair Loss. You also have to know I have "Body Disformic Disorder" so my Doctor tells me, so I am very sensitive to my Hair and my Hair loss. My Hair is something I chose to concentrate on as a specific problem, even when I had Hair. So I used the Hat to cover up, what I thought was Baldness, but was not. As the condition went on I did not heed the warnings and that is why I am in the mess I am in. I believe there can be conditions associated with Hair and Phobias. Just like any other part of the Body. That can lead to Baldness if not taken of soon. But the info about the shampoo you mentioned may be of importance. What shampoo products can you find it in. Is it an over the counter product!

• 1 year later...

many people have experienced hair loss as a result of using head and shoulders shampoo... i'm 16 and me and my mom both have experienced hair loss by using head and shoulders (the intensive treatment ones, both in the regular white bottle, and the blue bottled one containing selenium), but we kept on using it because we thought that my mom was just balding due to aging, and that i was losing hair because of malnutrition.

google "head and shoulders, hair loss" and trust me you will find quite a few people saying they also experienced hair loss, although there doesnt seem to be any medical explanation. My hair (shoulder length) were falling out in huge handfuls daily, everytimei brush my hair, and whenever i wash it. Plus i deposit random hair strands everywhere i go, in school and at home. My mom had used it for a year or so while experiencing the same hair loss, and we both just thought it was due to aging. But we've both stopped using it last month, and her hair loss has stopped, and ive been losing less hair.

here's the link to where i found out that i wasnt the only one experiencing hair loss cuz of head and shouldrs

http://www.baldingblog.com/2005/12/14/head-shoulders-shampoo/