Rose vs. Shapiro

Hello. This is my first post. I would first like to say that this is a tremendous website!

I am 35 and am seriously considering my first HT. I have spent the last year consulting with several HT surgeons and have it narrowed down to Dr. Paul Rose and Ron Shapiro. I had F2F consultations with Dr. Dow Stough (local) and Dr. Ed Griffin in Atlanta.

I have been thinning since I was 18 and currently have about 5-10 FU density. I have jet black hair that is stiff/straight but coarse and my donor density is good. I been told that I need somewhere between 2500-3000 grafts. Dr. Stough raised the concern that the donor scar could be visible b/c of the contrast between my dark hair and white scalp.

I know Rose and Shapiro are excellent surgeons and have read that they are very similar in craft. Has anybody else narrowed the field to these 2 surgeons? Who did you pick and why?

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with someone online or offline.

Thanks!

Hello. This is my first post. I would first like to say that this is a tremendous website!

I am 35 and am seriously considering my first HT. I have spent the last year consulting with several HT surgeons and have it narrowed down to Dr. Paul Rose and Ron Shapiro. I had F2F consultations with Dr. Dow Stough (local) and Dr. Ed Griffin in Atlanta.

I have been thinning since I was 18 and currently have about 5-10 FU density. I have jet black hair that is stiff/straight but coarse and my donor density is good. I been told that I need somewhere between 2500-3000 grafts. Dr. Stough raised the concern that the donor scar could be visible b/c of the contrast between my dark hair and white scalp.

I know Rose and Shapiro are excellent surgeons and have read that they are very similar in craft. Has anybody else narrowed the field to these 2 surgeons? Who did you pick and why?

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with someone online or offline.

Thanks!

I narrowed it down to my "top 3", and Rose and Shapiro were among them, along with Dr. Hasson.

I chose Dr. Shapiro... the reason being that while I know that Dr. Rose is a VERY talented surgeon and he was very kind and helpful in answering my questions, I just had way more confidence in Dr. Shapiro's techs and surgical staff.

From my research, I decided that the skill and ability of the techs is very, very important. They are the ones cutting your grafts, they are the ones placing your grafts... not a small part by any means. No question Dr. Rose is among the best, and I'm not even saying that his techs aren't good... I'm just saying that I chose Dr. Shapiro because I was convinced that Dr. Shapiro's techs were better.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. Great point on the techs and the staff. It seems the majority of the procedure is spent with them.

Did you consider Dr. Paul Shapiro at all? Can you speak to the techs and staff that he uses?

Thanks!

Jsam-- Dr. Paul Shapiro uses the same techs as Dr. Ron Shapiro.

I hope this helps you out!

Good Luck on your search!!!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Ron Shapiro > Paul Shapiro in my humble opinion. He also costs more I think. But that doesn't mean Paul isn't good.

One of the things that bugged me when I was doing my research was that no one would give me their opinion... it seemed like everyone was saying "A HT is a personal choice. All coalition docs are great."

Now that I have had my procedure done, I think I made the right choice. But again, it was the right choice for ME. There have been lots of happy H&W patients, Epstein patients, Rose patients, etc.

Why did I choose Ron Shapiro?

Well, first, I liked the guy when I met him. He sent me his resume. He won the "Golden Follicle award", and the is the one giving all the lectures and teaching other docs it seems. His consultant set me up to meet past patients, and they contacted me to ask if I had any questions. Dr. Shapiro has been known to give people their deposit back if they change their mind because he wants them to be happy moving forward before you do ANYTHING... he even told me 2 days pre op that if I wanted to postpone it, he would have no problem accommodating me because he wanted me to be comfortable. He is recommended in books like "The Bald Truth" by Spencer Kobren who talks about him on a radio show with the same name. His surgical staff is beyond excellent... Janna and her team are without a doubt the best anyone could hope for. He is raved about on the online boards.

All this stuff kindof came together to help me make my decision. I felt good about it because I had lots of sources of information telling me the same thing.

I have said this before and I'll share it again... don't count on anyone being an advocate for YOU. Its your head, its your hair. Do your own research, and don't settle till you are 100% convinced. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see with your own eyes several examples of what will be done to you. A great doc wont have a problem with it.

Good luck man. Feel free to PM me if you need to.

The only thing I can't and won't speak to yet are the results, because obviously, I can't yet from personal experience.

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

jsam,

The best way to select between two first-rate hair transplant surgeons is to research, view patient posted experiences and before/after pictures, and consult with both of them to learn a bit about their philosphies.

Dr. Rose and Dr. Shapiro differ in philosophies a little bit (like all hair restoration physicians) - but both have a proven track record of providing state of the art hair transplantation.

Best wishes in your decision making process.

B Spot,

I am leaving your post on this thread because it answers a very specific question about Dr. Shapiro. Please remember however, that doctor comparison threads should not be answered by consultants or physicians that are being compared.

It is important that I am consistent with this to maintain a proper balance.

Thanks,

Bill

jsam72,

I researched a lot and I was considering Rahal, H&W, Rose and Shapiro. My choice was finally made because:

- The owner of the site has seen all of the docs and has studied and visited their clinics. He had all but 1 of his HT's with Shapiro. That said a lot to me.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Bill,

Yes. Can you expand on the small differences in philosophies between the two docs?

Thanks,

jsam

Originally posted by Bill - Moderator:

jsam,

The best way to select between two first-rate hair transplant surgeons is to research, view patient posted experiences and before/after pictures, and consult with both of them to learn a bit about their philosphies.

Dr. Rose and Dr. Shapiro differ in philosophies a little bit (like all hair restoration physicians) - but both have a proven track record of providing state of the art hair transplantation.

Best wishes in your decision making process.

B Spot,

I am leaving your post on this thread because it answers a very specific question about Dr. Shapiro. Please remember however, that doctor comparison threads should not be answered by consultants or physicians that are being compared.

It is important that I am consistent with this to maintain a proper balance.

Thanks,

Bill

jsam,

From what I have seen, Dr. Rose seems to prefer smaller sessions of follicular unit hair transplantation and prefers to accomplish a patient's hair restoration goals over multiple sessions for those with extensive balding. I know those who typically believe in smaller sessions typically are concerned mostly about minimizing the risk of donor scarring.

This is what is typically referred to on our hair restoration forum as the "conservative" approach.

Larger sessions when appropriate is typically referred to as the "liberal" approach.

Let me be clear however, that both hair restoration physicians perform ultra refined follicular unit hair transplantation and perform regular sessions of over 2500 grafts when appropriate.

Bill

Jsam,

I'll try to keep this short and to the point. I chose Dr. Shapiro for many reasons 1.) Hairline design was world know for being most natural soft among his peers and patients 2.) He is rarely on these boards and I never see his personal office advertised on any sites (besides his own) 3.) Exactly like NN said if someone went to see all HT clinics around the world and kept going back to the same doc besides one time, that tells me something. His work speaks for itself. With all that being said I am becoming more and more impressed with Dr. Hasson everyday, pumping out some WOW results!

p.s I also like that Dr. Shapiro has a real good long term plan for me, I am only 26. All this is MY opinion that I am expressing.

You only live once...