Propecia Side Effects

naunet

naunet, keep in mind that these side effects occured in less than 2% of men in a controlled study.

That is minimal risk for most of us.

All drugs have disclaimers no matter how small the risk as reguired by the FDA.

Personally, after 3 months on propecia every day, I have had no noticable side efects.

If you experience side effects they are temporary & should go away when you stop using it.

I didn't notice my lack of sex drive - my wife did.

after 7 years of propecia, I was a "dud"

taking avadart now - and it's like night and day. been 3 months, so maybe to early to tell.

4700 fu w/Dr. Hasson on 3/1/07

Originally posted by naunet:

Impotence, Decreased sex drive, premature ejaculation, lowers volume of semen.

I'm so scared now icon_frown.gif

Look at the bright side. If you're impotent, you don't have to worry about premature ejaculation! icon_wink.gif

Bad side effects. I was told that they were rare. Well, I guess I'm in the minority (a 1% chance? BS!)....

I'd stay away from the stuff if you want your crank to crank.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on Propecia for 7 years with NO decrease in sex drive or anything.. There is a very low percentage of issues

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by naunet:

Impotence, Decreased sex drive, premature ejaculation, lowers volume of semen.

I'm so scared now icon_frown.gif

Thats what it did to me. that was 8 years ago .Maybe a year before you quit being bothered. Would never touch it!

Hi

Amen brother. I would be too and surely would have done the same as you did!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hey Guys,

There are not a lot of reported side effects with the original propecia, however the generic propecia has more reported cases of side effects than that of the original. My advice is by the original, the extra cash it costs is worth it.

(Signature removed by Falceros - Co-Moderator of this community due to promotional material. Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.

• 1 year later...

I'm not anti-finasteride - obviously it works well for a good number of people.

But I think Merck have not been entirely honest about the <2% quote of side effects. (Obviously there are a lot of ways to fudge numbers to sound better.)

Anyway, my personal experience is that I took it for a week, after 2 days there were side effects (weaker erections). It's definitely not psychosomatic. I'm not going to go into detail, but you'll just have to take my word for it that I was (and still am) pretty confident, sexually and the side effects just blindsided me. It took me a while to put 2 and 2 together. I thought about just taking it and riding it out, but some of the horror stories of guys in their 30's who are completely finished, sexually put me off.

They say that continuing with the treatment helps and the side effects will go away after a few months. But there are whole communities on the internet of guys who have suffered side effects that have not gone away. That scares the crap out of me.

I want to keep my hair, but I want to keep my sex life even more, and I don't want to risk persisting with finasteride.

• 4 weeks later...

xxy,

I'm exactly in the same situation as you. I started taking finasteride a month ago and my libido has definitely decreased. I've decided that i'm going to start taking it every other day to see if this helps me with the side effects. Its definitely very scary when it happens to you. I've just had a hair transplant and don't really have that much native hair left.

The only reason I am taking it is to see if it helps with the crown and to keep the sides strong.

Some people have suggested that the side effects subside after using it for a while.

Has anyone experienced side effects early on and persisted with the medication? If so have the side effects gone after a while???

I know this is an old topic but still very relevant to a lot of people suffering from these side effects. Most people are lucky not to experience sexual side effects but if you do experience them its quite a shock to the system. Being a youngish guy it can really depress you make you feel very inadequate. The whole reason to getting a hair transplant is to build your confidence but if it means losing my libido by taking this drug then I don't want any part of it. I just hope its temporary.

My next step will be to incorporate a strong exercise program and better diet/supplement regime which may help to increase my libido. Any thoughts guys?

i used to take propecia last year,with great results but also great side effects. am 34 yrs and did two blood tests and sperm analysis. results were awful as my testosterone dropped and sper morphology went down hence infertility( thats when i got suspicios ...my wife wants to start a family). anywyas, stopped propecia after 4month did same test...things are back to normal and libido ok now....so guys can i go for HT without propecia...appreciate your help....

• 2 weeks later...

I've stopped taking proscar now its been 5 days and i'm still experiencing decreased libido. I'm hoping this will go away by two or three weeks.

Joker28 you would need to make your surgeon aware that you cannot take finasteride due to sides. Then you would need to get some advice from him as to how he will address future hair loss. I'm in the same position and worried about it but i'm going to start using minoxidil and see if that helps.

Just my opinion.

yeah i wanna find something to replace finasteride cos i also got sides which have all subsided although i reckon i'm still not as horny as i use to be. Ive only been off it 6months. But i too a have ht in the front to think about icon_cool.gif so if my hair behind it starts going i'd say i wont be too happy to say the least. icon_eek.gif I donno about this Advodart stuff. Tick Tock Tick Tock...

Just for those who are a bit anxious, I got sides within the first week. I didn't get brain fog, but erections were weak and kind of numb. It took about 3 weeks in total to recover completely but some people take 45 or so days. If it persists longer than that, it seems you're in that group of guys who now want to start a class-action lawsuit.

No one really understands the effects fully, but I'm sure in SOME of those permanent side-effect cases, it's just the psychological shock of your junk not working that causes the problem.