hair transplant from body hair?

does anyone have any experience with transplanting hair from the body onto the scalp?

i have shed a tremendous amount of hair over the last 6 months. i have been under a lot of stress during these months so i'm not sure if it is stress or baldness. i've been using propecia since it came out and just started with rogaine foam at night as per doctors instructions.

i consulted with a physician recommended on this site and he said hair cloning is probably 5 years away and even when it does come out it will be about $25 per graft. he also said that it won't be used for the hairline but for the body of the scalp (non directional hair is what he said). i would like to wait for cloning or buy some time and i don't feel like i have too much donor hair to give so please share your knowledge about body hair transplants for the scalp (not frontal area).

does body donor hair really take on the same characteristics of scalp hair once transplanted?

many thanks to all.

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

does anyone have any experience with transplanting hair from the body onto the scalp?

i have shed a tremendous amount of hair over the last 6 months. i have been under a lot of stress during these months so i'm not sure if it is stress or baldness. i've been using propecia since it came out and just started with rogaine foam at night as per doctors instructions.

i consulted with a physician recommended on this site and he said hair cloning is probably 5 years away and even when it does come out it will be about $25 per graft. he also said that it won't be used for the hairline but for the body of the scalp (non directional hair is what he said). i would like to wait for cloning or buy some time and i don't feel like i have too much donor hair to give so please share your knowledge about body hair transplants for the scalp (not frontal area).

does body donor hair really take on the same characteristics of scalp hair once transplanted?

many thanks to all.

Shyguy,

There is a lot of information published on this forum about body hair transplantation. So in addition to the information you receive on this thread, you may want to use the "find" feature on "body hair transplant" or "BHT".

In my opinion, body hair transplantation is much less consistent than scalp hair transplants. Though body hair may have a place in a patient's overall hair restoration plan, I believe that it's better to deplete the donor area of the scalp first for maximum hair growth yield.

Is there ia reason why you want to avoid scalp hair transplants?

Best wishes,

Bill

thanks for the info bill

the reason i would like to avoid more scalp hair transplants is because after the last session i had (which was more then 14 years ago) my 'neckline' (as opposed to frontal hairline) was destroyed. i have to grow my hair out in back in order for the back of my head to look somewhat normal. i know i have enough donor hair for maybe one more session, taking hair from the sides of my head, but i was really hoping for hair cloning to become available and avoid a transplant. since there has been no update on cloning i thought BHT might be an option to buy some time.

the problem i am facing is the shedding has come at such a fast pace this time that i am struggling to find the right solution for myself.

i was contemplating going on avodart instead of using propecia but the physician i saw (who is recommended on your site) told me that avodart's side effects are NOT reversible so it's a little scary for me.

i was also told not to take nutritional supplements such as creatine as this can contribute to hair loss. i've been taking this supplement for more then 10 years with no problems. nothing has changed in my supplement or medicinal treatments other then an huge and sudden increase in stress since april.

this forum helps answer questions and i'm grateful to have an outlet.

if anyone has an update on cloning please share your knowledge.

thanks.

i spoke to a rep from intercytex today. i asked him if a solution would be available to the public by 2010 and he said 'not likely'.

Shyguy,

When we have any worthwhile updates on the cloning information, we'll certainily be broadcasting it on our forum and news sites. So far, nothing new and substantial has been repoted to my knowledge. I'm excited by the prospect, but won't be holding my breath icon_smile.gif

That said, I believe it's much better to tap out your scalp donor hair prior to considering BHT.

Medical treatment is certainly a good idea to help slow down or stop the progression of male pattern baldness. But only hair transplant surgery is proven to grow hair in completely bald areas. I have not heard anything about permanent side effects using avodart, but I know the risk of side effects is higher since it's stronger than Propecia.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

i was thinking of using body hair to repair my neckline nape since the general concensus is that it is not ideal for the top of the head. this would allow me to use donor hair without worrying about destroying my neckline even more.

i have a consult with dr konior next month. hope he can provide me with some direction.

also, as an udpate, the 2mg of propecia/day caused side effects so i am back to 1mg per day. does anyone know if there is any benefit to 2mg every TWO days instead of 1mg/day?

thanks