question about # of grafts

I believe my new hairs are beginning to grow-I cannot see them yet, but I can tell a difference when I touch the area. I am pretty excited about this.

Anyway, I have read that a good estimate is 1,000 grafts necessary per Norwood level. Well, I hope i am wrong-=when my doc did mine, he said he usually does about 2,200 for a guy in my shape. I know good and well I am more than Norwood 2. When I had my 1st surgery in 2001, my doc at the time told me I was a 3a or a 4a, so obviously I am not a 2 now. Well, I have looked at images on www.singlehair.com and a guy who got 1,500 grafts looks pretty good, and I would say he is a 5, although I am not a doc nor play one on tv. I am not calling anyone out on this issue, but I was wondering how much I can expect-I know that is difficult b/c I have provided no photo, nor will I.

I believe my new hairs are beginning to grow-I cannot see them yet, but I can tell a difference when I touch the area. I am pretty excited about this.

Anyway, I have read that a good estimate is 1,000 grafts necessary per Norwood level. Well, I hope i am wrong-=when my doc did mine, he said he usually does about 2,200 for a guy in my shape. I know good and well I am more than Norwood 2. When I had my 1st surgery in 2001, my doc at the time told me I was a 3a or a 4a, so obviously I am not a 2 now. Well, I have looked at images on www.singlehair.com and a guy who got 1,500 grafts looks pretty good, and I would say he is a 5, although I am not a doc nor play one on tv. I am not calling anyone out on this issue, but I was wondering how much I can expect-I know that is difficult b/c I have provided no photo, nor will I.

Tough for us to help you without a photo as everyone has different hairloss patterns and hair quality.

Why worry about it now? The procedure is done so just sit back and enjoy the ride. When the grafts have grown in you'll find out if it is enough to satisfy you or not.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I have to agree with NN. What's done is done and you'll have to see if your last session is enough.

Can't you provide pictures without showing your face to show your progression?

10yearsout,

I believe you only had your hair transplant in June...am I correct?

If you are seeing any growth now, you are certainly an early bloomer, but it's certainly possible.

Yes, the rule of thumb is typically between 1000-1500 grafts per NW level - however, hair characteristics also play a big part in creating the illusion of density.

Can you remind us who your doctor was?

Btw...don't believe everything you read and see on a commercialized website...pictures can often be deceiving. This is why I always tell people to consult with real patients before considering a clinic.

Bill

Yeah, mine was in early/mid June. I am ten weeks post op. I think I can feel them, but can definitely not see them yet. I went to Dr. Lehr in Oklahoma City. He seems to be pretty honest and reliable. He told me he usually does about 2,200 for someone like me, and he usually leaves the crown alone. He also told me it would be a little thinner than the side, but to just have more there is a great improvement. That is kind of hard to accept, but I am not yet 30 years old, so I also have to understand that. I do not know if I will get another surgery; I will have to wait and see.

The guys above are right

Tough to generalize as there are many factors determining overall outcome based on graft count

Hair quality ( curl, diameter)

Head size ( all thinks consistent, a smaller head has less to cover)

Surgeons ability (illusion of density)

Give yourself 14 months and then you will know

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

10yearsout,

It looks like you and I are about the same age. I turned 30 this past January.

Even people who receive multiple HTs typically only acquire the "illusion of density". Click here to read more.

But I do believe you will have a cosmetically pleasing result - but you may decide you want more density.

Give it time my friend and try not to worry!

Bill