STILL HAVE SCABS 4 WEEKS AFTER

ive just past 4th week - and i still have scabs on my head from the transplants.

When will they go?

I must admit for the first week i was very hesitant to wash my hair for the fear of them coming loose. But sinse week 2 i have been washing day and night ALOT.

Any advice? Shud i apply oil to keep the area moist? Or shud i aim to keep it dry.

ive just past 4th week - and i still have scabs on my head from the transplants.

When will they go?

I must admit for the first week i was very hesitant to wash my hair for the fear of them coming loose. But sinse week 2 i have been washing day and night ALOT.

Any advice? Shud i apply oil to keep the area moist? Or shud i aim to keep it dry.

Hi Pid i still had quite a bit of scabs after 4 weeks. My doctor recommended not to touch or wet the area for 10-14 days and let it heal on its own and let nature take its course.

After 4 weeks i think its Ok to very gently rub the scabs off. they'l come off a bit if you gently rub them. The hair is growing so i dont think it matters much at 4 weeks they probably settled a a while ago.

Also soaking in the tub will help alot too.

PID,

Get in the shower and let warm water soak on the scabs for a few minutes. Then lather up with shampoo. Use the pads of your fingers, not the finger nails, and start rubbing. The scabs will start to loosen with the water and shampoo. You may have rinse and repeat several times. I had all my scabs off in five days using this process without any problems.

Mr. T

BUT THEN ISNT IT POSSIBLE:

That by rubbing the grafts you may dislodge the actual hair root in your scalp thus popping the hair out.

ARE THEIR ANY DISADVANTAGES OF HAVING THE SCAB?

i AM WILLING TO LET IT HEAL naturally

I highly doubt your scab's attached strong enough to pull the embedded follicle. Hell, I'm so sure of it, I'll send you some of my follices to replace any you lose that way.

Wash your hair a lot and rub them.

You'll just scare yourself when you see hairs going through the scabs as if you'd ripped the follicles out. But if you're not bleeding considerably, no follicular mishap.

i appreciate your advice

BUT I THINK I AM GOING TO LET THE GRAFTS FALL OUT NATURALLY. This is okay rite? No side effects of letting the grafts grow.....

The idea of rubbing the grafts which i have so been protecting like a mother to a child, eeeks me out.

LOL @ "LETTING THE GRAFTS FALL OUT NATURALLY."

No, just the scabs, please!

No harm in letting the scabs sit, I suppose.

Right, guys? Can the scabs smother the follicles or something?

About 5-6 days after my surgery I went on a mini-vacation. We stopped at a rest stop, and I forgot to put my hat on.

Mega donor scabbage and my whole head was still covered. It took a while before I realized I was walking around quite a thick crowd looking like an attempted murder victim. The feeling I had at the moment of realization can be equated to a dream in which one realizes he's out in public and that he's naked or in his underwear.

So that's my scab story.

JoeHT,

Thanks for the visual. That was funny!

HTGT,

The grafts are permamnently seated after the first week. You won't pull them out by rubbing with your finger tips as I described above. I don;t think there is anythin wron with waiting for the scabs to fall off naturally, but why look silly for so long?

Mr. T

dude , you have to appreciate that most of the hairs are going to fall out, washing your hair & rubbing the areas may cause the hair to fall out,with the scabs or shortly after, but you need to understand that the hair is not the graft, & the hair will fall out anyway. The graft will not fall out through rubbing, you have to trust me on this one. I kept most of my trnsplanted hair for three to 4 weeks , I was under the impression that they might stay, but over the course of like 3 days woomph !! they had gone , I retained maybe 10% of the hair, but rest assured I retained all of my grafts as will you. Its part of the proccess mate , you have to go with it.

lose the scabs my freind & you will feel better for it.

Bytes

Don't know for sure, but maybe if you are being too agressive you are rubbing off the scabs too early every time and they are re-healing. Maybe give it a break for a week then do the above.

My Pix and Hair Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling and healing advice

>BUT THEN ISNT IT POSSIBLE:

That by rubbing the grafts you may dislodge the actual hair root in your scalp thus popping the hair out.<

It's all right if the hair follicle itself sheds as the matrix cells have taken root at this point. Hair goes through cycles of shedding normally.

>ARE THEIR ANY DISADVANTAGES OF HAVING THE SCAB?

i AM WILLING TO LET IT HEAL naturally <

YES! A scab is NOT a good thing. A scab means that a wound was allowed to dry out. To protect the area the body forms a scab to allow healing to occur underneath. This offers no advantages and there are no published studies that I know of that show it's beneficial to let scabs form after a hair transplant. Moist healing offers no scab, retains moisture, cushions nerve endings, heals faster, reduces scarring, and reduces pain. I encourage everyone to spray saline or a commercial product like Graftcyte every 2 hous as the grafts heal to keep them moist and PREVENT scabs.

SCABS equal SCARS. that's an easy way to remember it.

Here is an excellent web page on wounds.

http://www.robinsoncare.com/MoistWoundHealing.htm

I am an independent hair transplant surgical consultant and hair loss researcher. Any opinions I have posted are my own. I am working on a few hair loss/transplant projects and will be making some announcements concerning them in the near future.