Dr. Feller Criteria

Are there any circusmtances when Dr. Feller does not require shaving of the recipient area?

I am looking for a HT of somewhere in the mid 2000 grafts (2 estimates 2100 & 2800).

If there are no exceptions to this equirement that is fine since he is obviously a superb surgeon whoseems to obtain consistently excellent results.

Are there any circusmtances when Dr. Feller does not require shaving of the recipient area?

I am looking for a HT of somewhere in the mid 2000 grafts (2 estimates 2100 & 2800).

If there are no exceptions to this equirement that is fine since he is obviously a superb surgeon whoseems to obtain consistently excellent results.

barley,

You might want to send a private message to Spex or Dr. Feller to get this question answered.

I believe many doctors will make considerations for specific cases.

Some of the considerations MIGHT include:

1. Lower density transplants

2. Transplanted hairs into balding areas or areas with very low native density.

I can't think of any other cases. You have to understand the reason that some physicians require shaving is because they firmly believe a higher quality hair transplant can be performed especially large densely packed sessions in between a lot of native hair.

This is one of the hot topics of debate on this and other communities.

Bill

I had 3 with Dr True and there was no shaving.

I could not shave due to work

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

barley, If there's even the remotest possibility that you get a better yield/ transplant from shaving your head why wouldn't you do it?? If your doctor feels better--for whatever reason while working on you, that your head is shaved it's going to benefit you. I went in to my 2nd HT with my head shaved, and wasn't told to do it. It was just common sense to me that the doctor would have one less thing to deal with.

Many people have a very good result without shaving. In fact some argue there is not that BIG of a difference.. Remember, it is under a microscope when incisions are made so it is not like they cannot see the bald spots.. If it was that much of an issue all coalition docs would require it .

At the end of the day , it comes down to the patients needs. The difference in result is not that substantial where it is essential to shave.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Barley,

The advice above all have good points, I would not get buzzed (nobuzz4me lol) due to work, but if I could hide away on an island for a month it would not be a big deal, who has that kind of time? I can see a reason for it making it easier to see the angles less chance of transection for dense packed spots but if you have little native hair in these spots, the doc can easily work around it.

NoBuzz

• 3 weeks later...

Michaellovesnyc,

You bring up a good point. Although there is no hard evidence that shaving improves outcomes, it appears that some of the finest coalition physicians believe shaving will result in an optimal outcome. This does not mean that no shave results will not be good. Feller, Shapiro, Hasson & Wong appear to be some of the current leaders in HT today and if you choose them you will most likely opt for shaving. The big 4 seem convinced that in their hands, you are better off with a shaven recipient site. Dr. Feller reiterated this point and made suggestions on how to conceal the shaven areas with existing hair.

They seem adamant that shaving will minimize transection & shockless as well as provide the optimal placement of grafts. The thread by Dr. Hasson certainly makes sense. I guess they believe in giving the patient the best opportunity for a successful HT and with few exceptions will not sacrific the result for short term cosmetic results.

If one opts out of shaving there are plenty of MDs who can perform quality work. We see many of these results on this forum.

The bottom line is that you need to do what's best for you. Although anecdotal, it appears that you are setting yourself up for the best possible result by shaving. Other post op protocols attempt to maximize outcomes (Biotin, Rogaine, MSM, etc...) to differnt degrees. There are some questions as to the benefit sof some of these post op regimens. On the other hand, when a surgeon believes strongly in shaving the recipient site for the best outcome, you have to believe them based upon experience.

As another Feller relatively recent (going on 2 1/2 months) patient, I understand his reasoning for shaving patients. Basically, the hairs that are there get in the way -- by shaving he has a clean slate (plus, he can see what has already been done and what hairs are still growing with the use of an magnifier). Think about it, not only he when he makes the incisions, but his assistants, every time they place a hair, they would have to move to the side existing hair while they are also concerned with holding onto (in their hands) your new grafts and placing it in the proper direction for it to grow correctly). It would take much longer to have to contend with whatever hair is growing on your head. Plus, frankly, I had to have more shots over the long day as the anesthesia started to wear off. It was no problem in that the doctor would be notified and give me more shots. But I don't like shots. I hate more shots! But if there was existing hair that was not shaven there, this procedure would take even longer and result in the need for more anesthesa (and more shots! I grew my hair longer prior to the operation so I could at least have a combover during the post-op and waiting period. If other doctors don't require you to shave, that's fine - but I have a feeling it would require longer time (again, for the need to move existing hairs out of the way with many of the grafts), plus more shots as the anesthesia wears off. With a start time of 7:45 and ending at about 4:00 and with around 3,200 grafts, that was a long enough day for me. icon_smile.gif

I guess you guys must work at home or in a cave - some people like sales people , corporate people , trial attorneys , etc etc. can't do it - period . I'm sorry if I could get a quality transplant with out shaving and have a 92% growth rate compared to a shaved 98% growth rate I would do it ... because I just would be unable to get buzzed . Some of you guys just dont get it .......

chibbler

Shaving the recipient area is truly a hot topic on this forum.

In my opinion, shaving the recipient area in cases where hair is being transplanted in between and around a lot of native hair will allow the surgeon to more easily see the direction of the existing native hair thus minimizing the risk of natural hair follicle transection which would result in permanent shock loss.

I believe shaving the recipient area in these cases may allow a hair restoration physician to use more dense packing around the natural hair follicles while minimizing the risk of damaging natural hair.

But clearly not all hair transplant patients are in a position where shaving is absolutely necessary - in fact, many are not.

Hair transplant patients receiving hair transplantation in completely bald areas or areas with very little native hair would not need to be shaved to optimize the surgical environment in my opinion.

On the other hand however, many hair restoration physicians who don't normally require shaving have suggested shaving in cases where hair is being transplanted in between and around a lot of existing native hair.

But what about the needs of the hair restoration patient? Certainly most hair loss sufferers would rather not have their head shaved during hair transplant surgery.

I believe many won't have to and yet still be able to receive the same quality of hair transplantation as the ones who are shaved.

But for those having hair transplanted between and around a lot of natural hair - it is my opinion that shaving the recipient area minimizes the risks as I've stated above.

Bill

I feel, its not so much the shaving, but the redness that looks odd. So if you would cut all the hairs on top of your scalp shorter, you would have this red patch.At first you can say its sunburn, but if it lingers for months....now what...........

Two points.

1. If you shave down, you hair will grow out enough to hide the HT in about two weeks. Take some vacation.

2. Nobody remembers what you used to look like after 8 months once your new hair grows in. And 8 months goes fast.

Bottom line is, sacrifice your looks in the short term for a long term benefit. Why insist of having your cake and eating it too?