Hair piece advice - the basics please....

bigT

Hi guys,

I have never posted in this section before so please be patient with a newbie!

I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a quick run down of the dos and dont's when researching, consulting, purchasing, and maintaining a hair system. The reason i ask is because i'm setting up a hair loss consultancy business and this is the one major area i am lacking in any great knowledge. Obviously if a client is interested in wearing a system i need to be able to give them the best, most ethical advice possible regarding their options.

Having had a transplant and used finasteride and other treatments/supplements i have a strong knowledge of these areas. However my sum research into systems was nearly four years ago when i consulted with Advanced Hair Studio in the UK, who were keen to shave my head and stick a system on top, or offer me laser therapy at extortionate rates. I think i had a lucky escape (especially given their persistent sales calls for months after).

From searching this forum it seems many advise purchasing on-line and doing self-maintenance, if anyone could list all the 'top' places to buy from and their pros/cons/differences it would be great. Im particulary in need of info on the best suppliers to UK as this is where im based. Also im sure many men at first atleast will prefer to go to a 'salon' like AHS or Hair club in the US, however is there a list of 'reputable/top salons' like in HT with Hasson&Wong/Shapiro/Armani/Feller, and ones to avoid like in HT we have the Bosley/MHR/Norton (UK) etc.

Also if someone could break down types of system and their differences would be great ie lace etc as my knowlede is very sketchy.

Sorry for the long post but any help is much appreciated and will help many others get the right advice if they are considering a system when i see them.

Thanks, bigT.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

Look into coolpiece and toplace online; if you go to a local "salon" type of place make sure you don't sign any long-term deals due to being pressured by salesmen.

Toplace has a very good forum, which you should check out; from those in the know, toplace and coolpiece are both considered elite -- however, coolpiece supposedly has a "bit" better quality control.

When you go to a "salon", be it HCM or AHS it isn't that you CAN'T get a quality piece and a quality instalation -- however, quality really varies place to place and many places are filled with salesmen and incompetents who just want your money and don't want you informed.

If you go the route of coolpiece or toplace buy MichiganBaldies vid...you can check out clips of it on youtube fwiw.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Hello Big T

Well, first off no matter what a company calls it's product cool dome, hot dome, mega dome, follicle dome, versa dome, it's still a hair piece. These manufacturer's are always tying to re-invent themselves and their products to lure you into believing it's the best. I would explain to you it's like going to a stone yard a buying a beautiful piece of granite it's not the product only but the artist ability and skill of the person doing the instalation that gives a top of the line result and all of the choices both you and the stylist decide upon. Be vary wary of SALESPEOPLE in a front office! They only have focus on you wallet! Stick with the person who will be delivering the product to you! They will be the honest ones. I have specialized in hair replacement for men and women for over 20 years now and it all boils down to the right choice for the right person and how much maintenace that person wants to get into. Realisticly a client needs to go into purchasing a hair replacement considering (all) of the costs invloved for the year. It's like buying tires for you car and trying to get a absolut guarantee exactly how many miles you will get out of them, that's Pretty hard to do. It's the same exact thing with hair loss products, it depends on alot of factors regarding you, your lifestyle, your stylist, you maitenance. Today the best looking products are the thinnest bases either made out of 2 miligram polyurethane or a lace type material. The hair underneath will need to be shaved off so the skin will show through and the bonding material will have to be placed onto the skin. This will stay on according to your body oils, body heat, the area you live in ie. hotter the more sweat and oils break down the bonding. In 3 weeks or so it will be removed with an oil solution and you start all over either with a brand new piece or clean the old one and place it back on. Women can go longer because they do not sweat as much from the scalp. These very thin products will need to be replaced usually every 2nd bonding because they fall apart. 9-12 units per year can easily be used. These are beautiful products delivered by skilled hair stylist are a wonderful solution. Their not perfect but their really close and they have improved greatly over the years. They are better for the person who does not really have enough hair to transplant in the back area. I personally chose real hair transplants by Dr. Ricardo Mejia because I am 47 and have great hair on the sides and back and only have 30% loss on my top/ front areas.

Let me know if this helped you?

Wiz Kid

• 3 weeks later...

I would try Coolpiece before Toplace. I've used both of them and sometimes it has taken me months to get my system from Toplace, whereas Coolpiece I always got it on time. Toplace has gone up almost double on the price of what it used to be so now Coolpiece is really a lot better deal.

• 5 weeks later...

No matter what type of hair replacement product you can choose to get on-line it's still not finished professionally. It's like buying a beautiful suit that's ill fitting and slightly the wrong color and hanging it on your body because of JUST price. My clients know and understand it's not the product per-se' but the hands that are delivering it to you making sure the color is a exact match and the style choices are the best that can be made under expeirienced guidance. These two companies are just slamming out a mail-order product and you are hoping it will be OK. I would not be shopping price and i would be shopping for a artist just as I did when I decided to go and get real hair transplants from Dr. Mejia of Jupiter I was not necessarily looking for just price.

I would want you to walk out of my salon looking near perfect! Mail order is not the real answer you need professional hands to do the attachment and cut!

Are you interested in coming in to see me?

If you serious about my business and coming in or referring clients I will be happy to tell you. My clients consist of women with alopcia or are under chemotherapy and the rest with male replacement makes up most of my experience of 26 years.

If your serious I can respond to real questions or concerns.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

you are almost sure its a hair system, why bother asking. Wait until he feels comfortable enough to tell you about it. Otherwise, let him think you really don't care one way or another. When he finally tells you, you will know he has reached a level where he totally trusts you to know.