My possible new regimen

Well, after feeling like crap each time I look into the mirror for a few months now I've decided to do something about it. From what I can tell, fighting hair loss is nothing short of an uphill battle, and restoring hair in the frontal hairline and temples is going to be no easy task. From what I have researched, the following products used together should give me some pretty admirable results, I've seen pictures of a dude who's totally restored his natural hairline after being in my state. The cost is probably going to be high, but my mom has agreed to help me out. So here is the list of what I will probably begin to use very shortly.

2% Nizoral Shampoo 2 or 3 times a week (Probably the most basic thing I can use, from what I can tell it increases the chance of regrowth caused by other products, I'll probably use Paul Mithcell's Tea Tree Lemon Sage thickening shampoo and conditioner when not using Nizoral)

1mg Finasteride daily (From what I can tell the most effective hair loss drug there is, I guess it can't hurt to try but if I get any sign of "sexual side effects" this stuff is getting thrown right into the fireplace)

Xandrox 5% with Retin-A once daily (I've read some pretty good things about Dr. Lee's products and there seems to be an advantage in using this stuff over regular old Rogaine, it says to use twice daily but I think once before I go to bed should do the job just fine. If after a while I'm not satisfied with the results I might upgrade to the 12.5% or 15% minoxidil solution and add topical spironolactone to what I'm using.)

Quitting Tobacco (This is probably gonna be the hardest one to do, but with the positive health benefits it might reduce the chance of side effects from Propecia, from what I hear it improves your sex life too)

Finally I have two questions to ask the forum.

1. If I were to use both finasteride and minoxidil together for a year and I succesfully regrew hair, would I be able to maintain my regrowth with the finasteride if I stopped the minoxidil?

2. What are the opinions on Trichomin/Revivogen? From what I can tell it doesn't seem like much.

So there you have it, hopefully I'll be able to throw on gobs and gobs of hair gel on my head in 6 months, right on time for the summer when all the ladies will be wearing their skimpy outfits.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, after feeling like crap each time I look into the mirror for a few months now I've decided to do something about it. From what I can tell, fighting hair loss is nothing short of an uphill battle, and restoring hair in the frontal hairline and temples is going to be no easy task. From what I have researched, the following products used together should give me some pretty admirable results, I've seen pictures of a dude who's totally restored his natural hairline after being in my state. The cost is probably going to be high, but my mom has agreed to help me out. So here is the list of what I will probably begin to use very shortly.

2% Nizoral Shampoo 2 or 3 times a week (Probably the most basic thing I can use, from what I can tell it increases the chance of regrowth caused by other products, I'll probably use Paul Mithcell's Tea Tree Lemon Sage thickening shampoo and conditioner when not using Nizoral)

1mg Finasteride daily (From what I can tell the most effective hair loss drug there is, I guess it can't hurt to try but if I get any sign of "sexual side effects" this stuff is getting thrown right into the fireplace)

Xandrox 5% with Retin-A once daily (I've read some pretty good things about Dr. Lee's products and there seems to be an advantage in using this stuff over regular old Rogaine, it says to use twice daily but I think once before I go to bed should do the job just fine. If after a while I'm not satisfied with the results I might upgrade to the 12.5% or 15% minoxidil solution and add topical spironolactone to what I'm using.)

Quitting Tobacco (This is probably gonna be the hardest one to do, but with the positive health benefits it might reduce the chance of side effects from Propecia, from what I hear it improves your sex life too)

Finally I have two questions to ask the forum.

1. If I were to use both finasteride and minoxidil together for a year and I succesfully regrew hair, would I be able to maintain my regrowth with the finasteride if I stopped the minoxidil?

2. What are the opinions on Trichomin/Revivogen? From what I can tell it doesn't seem like much.

So there you have it, hopefully I'll be able to throw on gobs and gobs of hair gel on my head in 6 months, right on time for the summer when all the ladies will be wearing their skimpy outfits.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt,

Thanks for your post. I think your regime sounds fine, especially since you will be using both finasteride and minoxodil. Of course, quitting smoking will help improve your circulation and overall health so that is good. 2% Nizoral can dry out your scalp with overuse, so monitor that.

I have no experience with Xandrox or Retin-A.

I'm a little concerned though that your hopes are a little high for your new regime. Don't expect anything but a hair transplant to drastically change the way your hair looks. Very few people experience regrowth from finasteride, but it does help many people retain what they have. Minoxodil helps regrow hair, however, though I know some people swear by it on the hairline as well, the only evidence I've actually SEEN of regrowth has been in the crown area. But there is no harm to use it in the hairline...who knows...it might just help.

Ok...now your questions:

1. Most likely not....you will have to use minoxodil for life to keep the hair you have regrown with it.

2. I have tried Revivogen with no luck...just continued to lose ground. I haven't found anyone when I was researching it that it worked for.

Remember...stay realistic. This new hair regime will at the very least help you maintain the hair you have...but I wouldn't expect that if you have very thin hair to expect to have a full mop again. sorry buddy...I wish I could say otherwise...or I would have done the same.

Bill

Bill

Well honestly I don't really have that much hair loss to begin with, just a little thinning and recession on the sides, my hair is probably thicker than most people on the top, I also have loads and loads of vellous hairs on the edge of my hairline and if only they grew thick again I would be very satisfied.

Just take a look at this guy, using minoxidil and finasteride seems to have done him pretty good.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/photogallery/pgantonio.htm

Hi Matt,

I have to echo Bill's comments here. I also am not trying to dampen your hopes but any substantial growth from the regimen you mention will be unlikely. I just started Finasteride 1 year ago and have seen regrowth in my hairline. It provides a softer look at this point..........at best. The hairs do not appear that they will grown/thicken enough to change my appearance that much and the density is far from what is needed.

Who knows, there have been a select few that have great results with meds. Maybe you'll be one of them.

Good luck,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey Matt,It sounds like me when I was in my 20's trying vitamins, herbs, shampoos & everything eles.

There is no magic bullet that is going to grow hair within the expectations you have.

I would hate to see you throw good money away on potions based on that picture of the guy with a full head of hair.

Try the Propecia & maybe monoxidil for now.

Hopefully in a few years there will be a magic bullet! Meanwhile stay confident & you still pick up the ladies! Confidence atracts women

even if you have a receeding hairline!

sMinoxidil, Propecia and Nizoral 2 x a week or so is the best approach which will produce optimal results. Folica is right, don't wate your money on items unless they make your hair look good. The previous mentioned are " growth or anti loss related

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I got myself the prescription to propecia and I have my first bottle sitting right in front of me, this crap is expensive...

I do know that proscar is way cheaper but I am still kind of concerned about cutting up the pills as there are women around the house. Are there any generic brands of finasteride out there that also contain the 1mg dosages?

Matt,

There is no generic propecia available in the US. Personally, I don't trust buying medication online...but supposedly it's out there. I still think Proscar or generic Proscar is the way to go to save money. I truly understand your concern for the ladies...just make sure you clean up real well and you'll be fine.

Bill