Question

I have lost hair from the hairline back an inch or so. I have gone from the spiked look to the laydown look.

My question is wheter or not 1000 graphs will make a significant difference.

Any feedback is appreciated.

5511058991_3D79D0A6891DC444C180730F8330EF6B.jpg.thumb 4511058991_D5F19642001CB8C36D902189B547194D.jpg.thumb

I have lost hair from the hairline back an inch or so. I have gone from the spiked look to the laydown look.

My question is wheter or not 1000 graphs will make a significant difference.

Any feedback is appreciated.

5511058991_3D79D0A6891DC444C180730F8330EF6B.jpg.thumb 4511058991_D5F19642001CB8C36D902189B547194D.jpg.thumb

You're hair still looks good right now. I would hold off on HT on get on the meds. Trying to 'keep up' with your hair loss can be a slippery slope. If you did 1000 now, you might need another HT in the future. Personally, I'd rather go through the ordeal once, and there's a better chance your scar will turn out smaller the less times you go through a strip surgery.

Thanks ts808... My Dr. in Nashville actually advised me to take Propecia for 9 months then to come back and see him. He quoted 800-1000 graphs for $4500. After reading posts that seems a little high...

Originally posted by rottun:

Thanks ts808... My Dr. in Nashville actually advised me to take Propecia for 9 months then to come back and see him. He quoted 800-1000 graphs for $4500. After reading posts that seems a little high...

yea cYOU WILL PROBABLY LOOK ALOT WORSE AND THEN BE CHASING YOUR HAIRLOSS.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Rottun,

I'm curious, how old are you? It's tough to tell from the photo, but you still look to have a pretty nice head of hair. It sounds like it's noticeable to you..........like everyone else on this site, I've been there and its not fun.

Regardless of your age, if I were you, I probably wouldn't do anything yet. It's tough to tell at this point how your hair loss will progress. If you keep your crown and receeds front to back then you can fill in the front at any time. If you're going to do it now, based on your photo and description of the loss the 1000 will probably give you nice coverage. The "tool" link listed by Hairworthy is a great estimator.

Smaller sessions generally cost more. I paid a little over $3 per graft for my first session about a year ago and got 1200 FUT's so I was pleased with the price. But I was a NW 5 at the time so I wish I'd have done more at once. I've been looking into a second HT recently and found $3 per graft a little harder to attain. I'd say the average has gone up to between $3.50 & $4.00 per graft depending on where you go.

I would think "when to have your first HT" is a tough question to answer and is the type of question which can only be answered by you. I guess I would tell you to try and think long term. Most everyone's hair loss is different to one degree or another when it comes to amount, pattern and timing. Since it's so hard to predict what will happen down the road, I'd wait until your pattern of loss is more evident.

I hope this is of some help!

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks for the info... I am 37 yrs old. Is Proscar the generic version of Propecia? Does it attain the same results as Propecia? Most doctors I have visited only write prescriptions for Propecia.

Proscar is the 5mg pill of finasteride, the same ingredient in Propecia. Propecia is a 1mg pill of finasteride. Many of us, including myself, cut up a Proscar pill into 4 parts and take one part a day. Proscar is used typically for prostate problems.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by rottun:

Most doctors I have visited only write prescriptions for Propecia.

That's because some doctors won't give a prostate medication (Proscar) for a hair-loss problem even though both Proscar and Propecia contain the same active ingredient.

Another reason is that Proscar is normally covered by insurance whereas Propecia is sometimes not. Some doctors probably don't feel right about this and won't write the Proscar prescription.