Going for HT in 1 week..any insight greatly appreciated

Greetings Friends,

I'm a rookie so this is my 1st post, but soon to be a veteran. I have been perusing this forum for days now and I have a few questions that I would love some feedback on. Any and all(post-op, pre-op, Dr's etc) good or bad would be greatly appreciated. My pics are to follow but It's getting close and the nerves are kicking in.

I have not tried any rogain or propecia to date(and frankly I'm ready for the surgery and dont want to take pills or apply products any longer). I have been using Tricomin shampoo for 5+ years and I believe it has truly helped me to save what is remaining(i'm about a iv on the norwood). I've also been using dermatch cover-up for the same amount of time and I would be relieved to not have to use it any longer(God willing). I'm set for surgery with Dr. Gregory Pistone for 10/22/08. Has anyone had any experiences with Dr. Pistone? I've searched here for posts on him but they were all several years old. I've had several consultations at his office and know he is one of about 50 IAHRS doctors as well as many other honors/awards from his peers etc. So I am extremely comfortable with him (unless I hear otherwise). I know one of the issues was a peroxide mixture post op. Is it ok, might it kill off some of the new HT's..is the saline solution better?

Is anyone aware of any new technologies that may come about in the near future(i.e cloning,cheaper FHE etc) that would make FHT obsolete?

I'm assuming most patients are advised that starting from the front to back is the best to start(for obvious younger looking reasons). Has anyone started at the crown area? I would inquire since I'm not as thin on the top as the crown so I can manipulate the top better(until it is time for a 2nd session). This doctor does two surgeries per day and I could not get the morning session so would there be any difference in the doctors skills,tiring or being less proficient with the afternoon session?

My last major concern is the incision and how the trichophytic closure heals.If the FHT doesn't take for some reason so be it, but to live the rest of my life(i'm 42) with the feeling of discomfort,numbing,tightening of the scalp,raised skin from incision,hideous scar etc. would be mortifying. Also, in years time, if you decided to shave your head due to some unforseen reason, what might that scar look like since there is no turning back after the procedure is done?

Lastly, if this procedure is so superior, why don't you think everyone with a bit of money, or actors (Letterman,Anthony Hopkins,Nicolson,Willis(pre-shave)etc..why don't you think they have a full head of hair or have done this procedure..or maybe they have? I apologize for the length of this post but it's getting super close and I'm starting to cram my knowledge as it nears.Nothing is greater to us all then some true testimonials from my peers who have experienced this.I would love some re-assurance this is a great thing or the contrary would be appreciated as well. I'm a professional and a biker guy as well, without any tattoos because I fear the permanency and the no turning back factor if I do not like it. It takes me 20 mins sometimes just to pick out a box of cereal since I can be so indecisive and have to read every label etc. Any insight at all, positive or negative? Thank you all for your time and patience. I will provide my email or im if needed to anyone who may not wish to post a reply.

Greetings Friends,

I'm a rookie so this is my 1st post, but soon to be a veteran. I have been perusing this forum for days now and I have a few questions that I would love some feedback on. Any and all(post-op, pre-op, Dr's etc) good or bad would be greatly appreciated. My pics are to follow but It's getting close and the nerves are kicking in.

I have not tried any rogain or propecia to date(and frankly I'm ready for the surgery and dont want to take pills or apply products any longer). I have been using Tricomin shampoo for 5+ years and I believe it has truly helped me to save what is remaining(i'm about a iv on the norwood). I've also been using dermatch cover-up for the same amount of time and I would be relieved to not have to use it any longer(God willing). I'm set for surgery with Dr. Gregory Pistone for 10/22/08. Has anyone had any experiences with Dr. Pistone? I've searched here for posts on him but they were all several years old. I've had several consultations at his office and know he is one of about 50 IAHRS doctors as well as many other honors/awards from his peers etc. So I am extremely comfortable with him (unless I hear otherwise). I know one of the issues was a peroxide mixture post op. Is it ok, might it kill off some of the new HT's..is the saline solution better?

Is anyone aware of any new technologies that may come about in the near future(i.e cloning,cheaper FHE etc) that would make FHT obsolete?

I'm assuming most patients are advised that starting from the front to back is the best to start(for obvious younger looking reasons). Has anyone started at the crown area? I would inquire since I'm not as thin on the top as the crown so I can manipulate the top better(until it is time for a 2nd session). This doctor does two surgeries per day and I could not get the morning session so would there be any difference in the doctors skills,tiring or being less proficient with the afternoon session?

My last major concern is the incision and how the trichophytic closure heals.If the FHT doesn't take for some reason so be it, but to live the rest of my life(i'm 42) with the feeling of discomfort,numbing,tightening of the scalp,raised skin from incision,hideous scar etc. would be mortifying. Also, in years time, if you decided to shave your head due to some unforseen reason, what might that scar look like since there is no turning back after the procedure is done?

Lastly, if this procedure is so superior, why don't you think everyone with a bit of money, or actors (Letterman,Anthony Hopkins,Nicolson,Willis(pre-shave)etc..why don't you think they have a full head of hair or have done this procedure..or maybe they have? I apologize for the length of this post but it's getting super close and I'm starting to cram my knowledge as it nears.Nothing is greater to us all then some true testimonials from my peers who have experienced this.I would love some re-assurance this is a great thing or the contrary would be appreciated as well. I'm a professional and a biker guy as well, without any tattoos because I fear the permanency and the no turning back factor if I do not like it. It takes me 20 mins sometimes just to pick out a box of cereal since I can be so indecisive and have to read every label etc. Any insight at all, positive or negative? Thank you all for your time and patience. I will provide my email or im if needed to anyone who may not wish to post a reply.

Glad you made it on this website prior to making this big decision. At least you have a week to change your mind, which I think you should. Check out member dhuge67 if you get a chance. He was a young guy set on going to pistone, we tried to persuade him not to, he went forward with him and was not happy with the results. Not sure if he still posts, but maybe send him a private message to inquire.

The results you get, good or bad, will stay with you the rest of your life. Don't make a decision you will regret. He may have patients who get decent results, but why not go to a doctor where you can get good to great results.

Check out the list of coalition doctors, view patient pics and reviews, and make a decision on a doctor that you feel fits your needs.

Don't take a chance with your dome--this is permanent. I am a biker as well, sans tatts and harleys (i ride japanese bikes), and would not want to hide a sub-par result during my summer rides and gatherings. And I am sure you won't either. The whole point of having a hair transplant is to be able to go out in public undetected and happy with your results.

You still have time to cancel....

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

take it from people that know. weve made the hairtransplant mistake. if you can deal with the scar across the back of your head, if you can stand the constant itching,if you dont mind having an abnormal looking hairline with hair that goes at different angles then go ahead and do it. but you will regret it. your life will never be the same again. i suggest you youtube some transplant videos of bad hairtransplant it will definately change your mind.

Tuscani,

Slow down dude slow down.. Take the whole process in a slow motion rather than going fast forward.. The Hair transplant is one important decision that promises to change your life forever so be very very careful in selecting you hair transplant surgeon.. There are many surgeons out there who use image marketing techniques which shows excellent results but in reality they are fake. Most of them have their abilities somewhere between Caveman's and Neanderthal's and the last thing you want is to become a prey to them... Dude please research, take time, discuss, and then decide undergoing hair transplant or you in for a life long trouble... I hope it helps

Done done.. Check out my blog..

2785 grafts by Dr. Humayun Mohammad

My Hair Loss WebLog

tuscani:

Slow down dude. There is no rush.

I would advise that you stick to the doctors from the Coalition. Pats, the publisher of this site, already did the due dilligence for you, so you can trust the Coalition doctors.

One common mistake many patients make in choosing a doctor is based on how nice the doctor is, how comfortable you are with him. The technics, the approach and the consistent results should be the relevant factors.

BTW, membership of IAHRS does not mean anything. Any doctors can be part of the IAHRS, while only a few selected ones can be part of the coalition of doctors recommended by this site.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Friends,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide me your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Please continue to reply and add input as it is the greatest help anyone can ask for. I will continue to spend a great part of my day and evenings on this forum utilizing all the great knowledge and research that everyone has previously done while they were going through the same.

FYI...I have since cancelled my upcoming procedure with Dr. Pistone sceduled 10/22/08 due to some of the invaluable unput I have received and found on this network.(now I have to just work on the return of my 1/2 deposit that has already been withdrawn from my account)

So my search continues now for a great doc in the northeast region that is drivable(since I'm not a flyer)but i do not mind traveling several hrs by car. So any experiences of patients of doctors in my region would be of great help(either Dr's you swear by, or those to avoid) would be appreciated.

Thank you all again and please keep the insight, recommendations and replies coming as I am in full gear to learn all that I can from all the fine follicly challenged friends i'm making in this network.

Tuscani, I understand how you feel. I went through my procedure recently and nerves are normal. Take a look at my weblog. I tried to describe the day's events in detail so others can get a good idea of what to expect.

Keep doing research. I found this website a great source of information.

Originally posted by tuscani2:

Greetings Friends,

I'm set for surgery with Dr. Gregory Pistone for 10/22/08. Has anyone had any experiences with Dr. Pistone?

Hi Tuscani2,

I noticed your original post stating you have scheduled your surgery with Dr. Pistone. In your new post you said you cancelled your surgery with Dr. Shapiro for 10/22/08. I checked our schedule for Oct. 22 and that day's patient is still going forward with surgery. I just wanted to clear up any confusion. Thanks.

tuscani,

Which "Dr. Shapiro" are you referring to? Given the overwhelming positive feedback on this community about Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro, I highly doubt you would have found any information that would have encouraged you to cancel surgery with either of them.

I do know there is another Dr. Lawrence Shapiro in Floriday, completely no relation to Ron or Paul.

Best wishes,

Bill

I agree with jenna and fals,

You started off your thread saying that you have an appointment schedule with gregory piston and then, in your second post, you mention you have canceled your appointment with Dr Shapiro.. If you have pic Dr shaprio who has been recommended on this forum, then dude don't worry you are in safe hands but if you have enrolled yourself with some tom dick and harry, then you are in for a huge trouble...

Done done.. Check out my blog..

2785 grafts by Dr. Humayun Mohammad

My Hair Loss WebLog

• 1 year later...

Hi to all the members out there. This is my first post so please be kind to me. I am from Northern Ireland and I nearly did the same as tuscani2 namely going first to an outfit called the Hospital Group in the UK on the basis of an advertisement in a local paper. I had my consultation with one of their advisors and was pronounced suitable and was about to book for the operation when I came across this site. I am 65 years of age and am wondering if I am too old for a HT. As a result of information from this excellent site I decided to go to one of the recommended doctors and I have made a consultation appointment with Dr Farjo in Manchester in December. Has anymore experienced this clinic and can they give me some information.

Edited by Keyboard

keyboard,

Welcome to the community! You will get a lot more feedback from members if you start your own thread under Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews.

Both Dr. Bessam Farjo and Dr. Nilofer Farjo are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians and, as such, perform ultra-refined follicular unit extraction.

Best of luck with your consultation. I'm sure you will be pleased with the Farjo Clinic.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 9 months later...

I went for a consultation to the Farjo Clinic last December. I was very impressed with Dr Farjo who pronounced me suitable for a HT. However the price was a bit higher than I had expected so I have still have not gone for the operation.

Not only can I not find the courage to do so but I also feel I am perhaps too old for the treatment. However I have been reading Brian Beacom's book lately on his trasplant experience and this has rekindled my interest.

I rang the Farjo Clinic today to talk to Michael McHugh but he was away on business. I may speak to him next week. Will keep you posted.