Propecia and Hairline

Hi Guys,

i just wanted to get one thing clear from all the users that are currently using propecia.

WILL IT CURB HAIR LOSS ON THE HAIRLINE????

I have read a number of posts on the forum and some people are also asking the same question.

So if its possible, i would like the community to share some of their experience.

I have attached a photo of my hairline, and have also started Propecia about 2 weeks ago.

I only have a receding hairline (no loss in the crown) and the rest of my hair is quite thick and dense.

Do you think it will stop my hair line receding or will it only stop hairloss in the crown and mid scalp??

Will Prpoecia help me keep the hair that i still have on the from half of my head????

The reason why i am asking this is if it dosnt seem to work on the hairline, i may stop taking the drug and only take it up again if the top starts to thin so i can save some money, and just get a small HT session to get my hair line restored.

Thanks alot for the help guys

a.JPG.3b1de507918d3ec7b3eacdadc8196531.JPG

Hi Guys,

i just wanted to get one thing clear from all the users that are currently using propecia.

WILL IT CURB HAIR LOSS ON THE HAIRLINE????

I have read a number of posts on the forum and some people are also asking the same question.

So if its possible, i would like the community to share some of their experience.

I have attached a photo of my hairline, and have also started Propecia about 2 weeks ago.

I only have a receding hairline (no loss in the crown) and the rest of my hair is quite thick and dense.

Do you think it will stop my hair line receding or will it only stop hairloss in the crown and mid scalp??

Will Prpoecia help me keep the hair that i still have on the from half of my head????

The reason why i am asking this is if it dosnt seem to work on the hairline, i may stop taking the drug and only take it up again if the top starts to thin so i can save some money, and just get a small HT session to get my hair line restored.

Thanks alot for the help guys

After having spoken to hundreds of patients over the past few years about this I can say that Propecia will not help regrow hair in your hairline and will not keep your hairline from receding. There have been a few exceptions but they are so rare that anyone that experiences a positive effect in the hairline should count themselves as very lucky. Merck even states that it is not shown to work in the hairline.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Joe,

From what I understand Propecia has only been tested for the crown, but there have been hair loss sufferers who have sworn by it's efficacy in the hairline as well. From my understanding, logic would suggest that since finasteride is a DHT inhibitor, hairline hairs could also be positively impacted by the medication.

I know there are many who also believe Rogaine is beneficial in the hairline, but that too has only been tested for use in the crown.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Bill

Also i must add that in the temple areas (the area where i have lost hair so far) i was told that there is a lot more DHT in these areas that other areas of the scalp, which is why it is the first place where many people start to lose hair.

I know my picture is crappy, but you can tell that the rest of my hair on the front is quite thick and my hairline seems to have matured as the receding has slowed down quite a bit over the last year or 2. So if propecia does not work on the front of the scalp, wouldnt it be better to get a HT to fill in a small area of the hair lost so far? and stop taking propecia so you can save some money?

Bill,

I know there are people on the boards that swear by it. I've read the posts but I'm speaking from in person experience. We prescribed Fin for thousands of patients and from what we've seen, and on those patients that come to us having already used Fin, it does not work well in the hairline. Some have reported results to varying degrees but these cases are rare when compared to the overall number of users. I wish it worked better than what we have observed though. We could all use some more hairicon_smile.gif

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Joe,

Thanks for the information.

I'm wondering if it's because hair in the hairline tends to receed quite differently than that in the crown. Whereas most who lose hair in the crown - it appears more of a gradual thinning whereas in the hairline, many just see it receed. Perhaps it doesn't work well in the hairline in many cases where the hair is already beyond the "point of no return".

I still would guess that in theory it should still prevent future loss in the hairline for those who start early enough (that is, as long as it's actually working for them at all).

But your personal experience and interaction with many hair loss sufferers is certainly very valid!

Interesting discussion.

JoJojo1,

Propecia may or may not help in the hairline, however since hair loss is unpredictable, using it could help prevent future loss all over your scalp including the crown. Whether or not you will ever lose hair in that area is another story - there is no way to really predict it unless there is already miniaturization occurring. Of course - consulting with an ethical and quality hair restoration physician can help you determine the best steps to restore your hair.

Bill