Working out after transplant.

Beer

Hey guys I have been checking out this board for about a year now, never posting, I am coming close to getting a HT, but was curious about this, I have read about it in the passed, but wanted to double check, After a transplant how soon after can I lift heavy weights and work out, etc. My job requires me to do very heavy lifting and strenious work as well, I cant miss alot of work either, and I also like to hit the gym and dont want to miss alot of that either.

Also would a FUE transplant make any difference in the time after the HT that i can lift heavy, what I mean is there a diff between strip and FUE?

thanks

Hey guys I have been checking out this board for about a year now, never posting, I am coming close to getting a HT, but was curious about this, I have read about it in the passed, but wanted to double check, After a transplant how soon after can I lift heavy weights and work out, etc. My job requires me to do very heavy lifting and strenious work as well, I cant miss alot of work either, and I also like to hit the gym and dont want to miss alot of that either.

Also would a FUE transplant make any difference in the time after the HT that i can lift heavy, what I mean is there a diff between strip and FUE?

thanks

i was told to wait 10 days to 2 weeks before lifting anything over 30 lbs. because of the stitches or staples. I recall reading that grafts are firmly in place by 8 days. plus, you don't want to strain (or lower your head below your heart) enough to cause a rush of blood to the head. Not only will it cause pain, it could cause damage to your new grafts.

JCW

There is a big difference in recovery time between strip and FUE.

If you get a strip excision be careful not to do anything that would put pressure on the donor area. Check with your doctor about when you can resume lifting again, especially if you do serious weight training with heavy weights.

I started going to the gym 3 weeks after my strip HT and I felt it was way too soon. after working out one day, i noticed a little blood in one small part of my donor area. It wasn't dripping or anything, but considering I was healing fine up until that point, I was concerned. You definitely want to avoid situps as they put a lot of stress on the donor area. I found that using less weight and increasing the reps was sufficient to maintain my current muscle mass while still taking it easy on the donor area. Also concentrate on isolating your movements to the specific muscle group your working (which you should be doing anyway) and make a conscious effort not to tense up your head or neck too much.

I agree with arfy: FUE has quicker "physical activity" recovery time.

With strip, I'd wait at least a month and I wish I had waited 3.

With FUE, I was playing soccer 7 days post op and lifting 14 days post op for the FUE into scar. I waited about 15-20 days after the 1135 graft FIT procedure to do any physical activity.

You just NEVER know if the scar will stretch. You hope it doesn't because the doc is using top techniques for scar closure on you. But that is no guarantee. Why risk it?

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

-- The truth only matters if you know about it.