HELP! :(.....Please....

First of all i just want to say, this forum is very helpful, i've been searching for hair loss info and this is the best site i've find so far. Hopefully you guys can help me out. :/

Im 22 years old, i started losing my hair about 2 years ago. I feel terrible about this. I play in a rock band and well, hair loss is the worst thing that could ever happen to me. Not only because of my band but, i also feel that people looks at me different. Does Rogaine really work? i've been considering a HT but im 22 years old and im going to college and working, so i do not have enough money for a hair transplant. so if you guys could give me moe advice, or help me find something that could help me stop the hair loss and and regrow my hair, i would reallu appreciate it. icon_frown.gif

Thanx

First of all i just want to say, this forum is very helpful, i've been searching for hair loss info and this is the best site i've find so far. Hopefully you guys can help me out. :/

Im 22 years old, i started losing my hair about 2 years ago. I feel terrible about this. I play in a rock band and well, hair loss is the worst thing that could ever happen to me. Not only because of my band but, i also feel that people looks at me different. Does Rogaine really work? i've been considering a HT but im 22 years old and im going to college and working, so i do not have enough money for a hair transplant. so if you guys could give me moe advice, or help me find something that could help me stop the hair loss and and regrow my hair, i would reallu appreciate it. icon_frown.gif

Thanx

Welcome Mick, You have come to the right place!

I myself am fairly new to this forum and I am glad I found it too because I am also thinking about getting a HTP.

First, I can relate because I played in a Rock band when I was in my twenties. I slowly started loosing my hair back then. I am 49 now & have lost my hair throughout the years. I still play in band but I wear a hat because I feel the same as you do even at my age. Do you half to have hair to be a musician & have people appreciate your talent? No you don't, but I still have the image of myself when I had a lot of hair & that image is cool right?

Ok so how bad is your hairloss at this point? Refer to the norwood chart to find out.

I doubt if anyone on this forum or any Legit Doc would tell you to get a HTP at 22 years old. At this point you don't know how far your hairloss will progress.

At your age Propecia or other meds would probably work well for you. If nothing eles it will slow down or stop the hairloss.

So I would see a dermatoligist or a hair doc mentioned in the coalition of Docs listed in this forum & start with the Propecia right away! Good Luck & Rock On!

Hello Mick and welcome to the forum,

As we tell all new members we'll need your statistics:

- Are you taking any kind of Finasteride/Dutasteride or Minoxidil? If so which one, brand, generic?

- Take pictures of you hair, top, front, back and sides and post them here in the photo album section, you'll get a lot of expert advice. For the best way to take pics go to:

http://www.hairtransplantmentor.com/hair-loss-photo-tips.htm

- Ask as many questions as you need, we are here to help. Research, read, learn as much as you can on this forum and on the Multimedia Hair Loss Learning Center:

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/

- Once you are a bit more familiar with the terminology and the different approaches you can guesstimate your own Norwood scale:

http://hairloss.cyberatlantis.com/library/norwood_scale.php

- Check members Hair Loss Weblogs to find cases similar to yours, the doctors who did their HT and their results:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/

- You can also play with the graft calculator to get an idea:

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/mm/calc.html

Don't rush, the more you know, the best choices you'll make. Some members spend months here before reaching their best educated decision.

We are looking forward to more of your details so we can be more helpful.

Mick--

I know it sucks buddy, it REALLY sucks. But rest assured, once your hair loss stabilizes you will be in a position to make an educated decision on your next steps. And the technology with HTs will only get better in the years to come, you have time!!

If you are like me, you are going to want to hide this "new" loss. But as I look back, I think why did I wear a hat all the time or avoid pictures when my hair was actually a lot fuller than it is now (it had to do with buddies making snide remarks). I got to the point when I was twenty-four when I said enough, enjoy what hair I have and deal with the loss as it comes. I didn't want to be that guy that always wore a hat, always hiding behind it.

Just be confident in yourself, even though the lack of hair may be eating you up inside.

Like HK said, do your research, ask any question. Everyone on this site is very helpful and understanding. We have all been in your shoes at one point or another.

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

You've gotten some great advice, Mick.

Yes........at your age trying something for loss prevention is the best way to go. Finasteride (a pill) and Minoxidil (topical solution) are the proven commodities. Just look up information on these at this site using the "find" feature, there's tons of info.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Mick,

I just wanted to add my support even though there's really not much new I can offer. Hairloss prevention is key at this point. if you are willing to post pictures so we can visually see how far you've progressed, that might also help us help you if you know what I mean. Get on finasteride for at least a year and reevaluate your situation.

Bill

Hi, it's me again, Thanx alot for all the help guys. i just wanted to post a little more info about my situation, hopefully you guys can answer my questions.. i was searching the site and calculated where im at in the norwood scale..

-Im 22 years old

-I think im in stage 3 in the norwood scale.

-Im not taking any pills at the moment, or using any kind of hair loss treatment.

after doing some research in this page, im considering taking pills to try and stop my hair loss, is Fenasteride the best option?

woud Rogaine help me in anyway?

could i take Finasteride and use rogaine at the same time? would that be better or would it be just a waste of money?

thanx alot. hopefully you guys can answer my questions.

could i get a scrip for generic proscar from any doctor?

hey guys i have a few questions,

Does having long hair make you lose more hair?

Does wearing beanies, hats, hoodies ect ect, make my hair fall faster?

Does stress has to do anything with hair loss?

Mick, Wearing your hair long, wearing hat's & beanies & hoodies WILL NOT make your hair fall out!

Male Pattern Baldness is the main culprit in mens hair loss.

Stress can contribute to or speed up the hair loss process.

However, for the most part it is in your family genes.

The only thing that will stop or slow down Male pattern baldness is the Proscar or Propecia as previously mentioned.

The problem I found with hiding under a hat is that you become a prisoner to wearing a hat. It will be sort of a shock to people if they see you with a hat all the time then 1 day you don't wear it! If they meet you & see you without the hat all the time you will appear natural to them because thats the way they are used to seeing you. I know, I made that mistake! If only when I moved to my new neigborhood I should have met new people without hiding under a hat. Now I am embarrased to let them see me without the hat!

Go hatless & you will be better off in the long run.

Hey Mick,

I understand what its like Believe me. The first time anyone someone told me i was going bald was when i was twenty two, im twenty nine now. Considering getting a HT. After just finishing college i cannot afford one for a while. I ve always played in a band and still do. Its not nice loosing hair at all. It s not the end of the world though. Look at the edge. It won't ruin your career. Shit, if ozzy can still sell records, theres hope.

The irony for me however is that most of the people who made those snide remarks back when i started receeding are beginning to lose it now themselves. REVENGE.

I saw a tricologist a couple of years ago and he recommended against propecia. There is a chance it will make you sterile. Many people, from what i have read do not experience any side affects. Some of course do. The last thing you want a bald head, man boobs, and an erection problem. This is just shit i ve read about on line. Make your own decision. But this is what ive heard.

In ten years who knows where the technology could be.

These days i have a sense of humour about my hair. Thats really because of the options that exist in hair transplantation. While your studying you can do proper substantial research. Start now. Be positive. Look at it as a challenge. Watch out for the flim flam artists on line. theres a lot of em.