Alcohol and smoking?

Bowlforthedog

Lots of literature discuss the increased risk of infection and skin slough(loss) in smokers undergoing surgery. Although this is much more risky in facial surgery (in which I require patients to stop smoking for 10 days prior to ((more important than after actually)) surgery; wound infection is more likely in any surgery in smokers. I advise all hair patients of this and strongly suggest they quit prior to surgery. The issue is that smoking decreases the oxygen delivery in small blood vessel areas; and although the scalp is EXTREMELY vascular, I am concerned about the local blood supply to the DENSE PACKED individual follicles being compromised by smoking and decreasing graft survival.

As to alcohol; the main concern is anticoagulation: turning a dry surgical field in which DENSE PACKING is do-able into a bloody field with popping and prolonged surgical time; and decreased yield.

So, we recommend strongly, no smoking or drinking for 10 days before surgery.

Dr. Lindsey, RESTON VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

Also men, make sure you ask your doctor his/her thoughts on supplements/vitamins too. Many herbs and things of this nature can thin the blood, again turning what should be a clean relatively bloodless surgical field into a floodplain. Even green-tea, in many newer sports drinks, can be trouble.

Dr. Lindsey RESTON VA

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi Dr Linsey

Here in the UK it states on the drink drive campaigns that alcahol takes 48 hours to be out of your system.

Do you know if there any studies on this as 10 to 14 days seems a long time for something to be processed by your body.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

I am considered that who do not like the drink. Every person is affected differently by alcohol. Females have less body water than males. With less water, alcohol reaches a girl's organs faster than a guy's. Other factors that affect how fast you process alcohol are your weight, how much you've eaten, and how fast you drink. Your hormones also affect alcohol absorption. During the month, your hormones go up and down, which changes how much alcohol stays in your blood. Do not use Alcohol for minimum 3 weeks during the surgery preceding.

Perhaps use your Ht as a stepping stone for a whole new look AND lifestyle. Wouldn't you rather be healthy and alive to enjoy all that new hair?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 2 weeks later...

Alcohol can alter the coagulation of your blood even in modest drinkers who don't have liver impairment from excessive alcohol intake. I am not sure how long this effect lasts. Our reason for 10-14 days is so that all of the things we tell patients not to do is for the same time period. For example, nsaids like motrin and aspirin alter the platelets and the turnover time to reverse this is about 10 days. Same with many herbs. Same for smoking. So its easiest for patients to remember 10 - 14 days for all these things rather than telling them no motrin for 10 days, no green tea for 5, no alcohol for 6 etc.

We use very small and densely packed 0.7mm slits. If someone is oozing from 3000 holes, it makes the entire case longer and harder.

Finally, about 4% of the population has a mild bleeding disorder. Although a thorough history reveals alot of these folks, it is good to eliminate all preventable causes of blood thinning prior to surgery.

Dr. Lindsey www.lindseymedical.com

McLean, VA