Guest HLBD

Thanks for the info. It seems like they might have discovered a better way to do what Curis was trying to do with the Hedgehog Agonist. I had a feeling that their research discovered that the agonist would do the very same thing that this protein can do: cause stem cells to gather in an area and repair follicles.

"The research overturns a longstanding belief that loss of hair follicles in adulthood is permanent." This is something many studies have proven and I have always been on a crusade to help others understand. Perhaps others will see this and kill the myth - even some doctors and some researchers have bought into it. The fact of the matter is that the only way to kill a follicle is to damage the skin it is on.

Hi,

From a reading of a few articles on the work with the wnt protein it seems that the potential to cause several types of cancer exists. Plus the researchers think that although it is a breakthrough, it is still years off from treating mpb. Curis swere a lot more optomistic.

Badger

Sorry guys,

Have a look at these two different links. They seem to be two seperate studieson mice that induce hair using the wnt protein. Or am i mistaken. The later one seems more like the curis results and have potential risks. tell me what you think....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070516133023.htm

http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/biowisse...e/bericht-18476.html

Badger,

I think the research looks promising...but I guess there is a lot more to do since mice have very similarities to us humans. Well...I suppose there are a few people like rats out there that we could experiment on. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, though these studies are interesting, I reserve any excitement for further developments. Many experiments seem to work on mice until they die form some dreadful side effect (like cancer). I guess we'll have to wait and see on this one.

Bill

Bill,

The company I work for actually builds for a number of the pharma companies. Whereas some of these folks do research [in lieu of those that manufacture], we build the holding rooms,research rooms, etc. for the "test subjects". If you look at the order list for the mice from the company that supplies them to these companies, you can pretty much order them with any number of diseases, etc. already injected [sort of like picking the options in your car]. When we start building rooms labeled as "hair cutting" & the order list includes mice with the "Don King" option, I'll know that the hair loss solution is close at hand.

Guest HLBD

Men's Health has posted an article with the lead researcher for the "wnt" project for hair regrowth.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealt...CM20000012281eac____

I's like to point out to Badger, however, that his two sudies - although similar in nature - are not the same. The "wnt" protein and the hedgehog agonist both activated stem cells to cause regeneration of the follicle, as well as kicking them into growth phase. The second article refers to another siginaling pathway that does not activate stem cells, simply tells hair to grow - it would, most like, not be effective against MPB. This is the reason why the agonist and the wnt protein are believed to be effective against MPB. I have done some research (and I'd like to point out that nowhere in your link do they mention that the wnt protein could cause cancer - only the natural protein that the discovered that kicks the hair into growth phase without the use of stem cells) on the wnt protein and I have not found any mention of the belief that it may cause cancer - while the natural protein listed in the second article almost surely DOES cause cancer... The largest drawback to the wnt treatment is that you would need to cause minor wounding to the scalp. This research has not only uncovered that, as I have stated before, the follicles never actually die on an MPB scalp, but that Retin-A actually works for MPB, not only in conjunction with Minoxidil, but because it too causes scarring to the scalp. This may be the reason why Azelic Acid works as well...

Once again, this doesn't seem to be a cure, but a very good adjuct treatment that will cause far less than HT and is probably going into clinical trial in a year or two - of we are lucky!

Let's face it guys

It will be about 10 years or so until a legit cure is found and is approved by the govt..

FUT is a damn good solution at the present

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Let's face it guys

It will be about 10 years or so until a legit cure is found and is approved by the govt..

FUT is a damn good solution at the present

And until then...loyal to finasteride and minoxidil I will be!

Hey Hlbd,

Sorry if i got my wires crossed. I read a load of different articles.

I think its interesting. The researchers are saying it may translate into a treatment in over 5 years. They also said in another, admittably being overly optomistic, possibly 2-3 years.

Who knows. They said they will be looking at the genes involved and hope the future treatment won't involve making wounds. Don't know what that means.

At least there's hope. There s a lot of hoopla about this breakthrough. Its been in the news, radio and internet. Perhaps theres some level of credability to all this....we'll see.

Always good to hear from you HLBD, you understand all this science stuff. Your a good interpreter.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HLBD

Hey Badger,

And only two weeks later, I respond. heh

Sorry about that... Been trying this "having a life thing". I think I'm allergic to it though, because I keep coming back to my online e-life.

No problem about the wires getting crossed. I know it can be hard to understand this stuff sometimes. It is all the more confusing whenever you are speaking to two or three researchers, while speaking to their PR company, and critics, and then reading what other journalists are saying - then finding out that they over-simplified things or didn't completely understand themselves, the science behind it all before they started typing.

But yes, it is exciting. I think it will be over 5 years at least before we see a treatment come of this and it will probably be due to causing minor wounds (like in muscle or other tissue growth) and then introducing the wnt protein.

But, thanks again for the kind words. It looks like I'm hear to stay - I've gotten a lot of good advice off these forums and I'm looking into getting my second HT (hopefully MUCH better than my first!)

HLBT (hair loss be damned)

A world with no bald men? Now how can that make me feel better if we all have hair? icon_smile.gif

It's pretty hard to imagine...

Guest HLBD

There is also a company called Neosil that is producing a topical that they believe will be effective against MPB. They are already in Phase 2b of clinical trials. Phase 2a (a 14-day treatment cycle) showed a regrowth average of nearly 5% and an average thickening of terminal hairs of nearly 4%. Now, that may not seem like much, but keep in mind that this wasn't over a period of months, but in just two weeks. Phase 2b is supposed to last much longer and be more in-depth.

As always, I would remain prudent about getting your hopes up too high because there doesn't seem to be any information on how their topical works or even what it is... There is also no information yet released as to how many people responded to treatment/didn't respond or the range of the response. Also, I would like to see how their product fairs against the documented efficacy of minox. I suspect that it might be much better as it appears to have an near immediate effect on hair growth and minox seems to take a while.