What Is Happening?

Low

A lot of people that I've been around, have been noticing that my hair is thin. Take in mind that I am 16 and is "supposed" to have lots of hair at this age. Not any of my family members have ever experienced hair loss this early. So, recognizing this is awfully degrading, and I would like to know what is going on? I'm assuming this is not normal.

A lot of people that I've been around, have been noticing that my hair is thin. Take in mind that I am 16 and is "supposed" to have lots of hair at this age. Not any of my family members have ever experienced hair loss this early. So, recognizing this is awfully degrading, and I would like to know what is going on? I'm assuming this is not normal.

Low, Welcome to the forum. The first thing I would do is get to a dermatologist. He/she will evaluate your problem and determine if it is MPB. You may need to get on Propecia and/or Rogaine. Are you on any medications that could be causing this?

No, I am not on any medications that could be causing this. I have begun using Rogaine about six months ago, and I mean it looks okay, but it's nothing like the thickness of my fellow peers. I think that seeing a dermatologist, as you mentioned, is my only next best option.

Blood supply to the hair roots could be an issue. It could help to "stand on your head"

( no kidding!) or do some yoga posture which gets your feet higher than your head.( lie on yer back near a wall and "climb" your feet up it ). You'll actually feel the blood surging in your scalp.

This was recommended to me years ago in a book I bought on "how to stop going bald". After my initial enthusiasm, I got lazy, and let things slip. Years later I end up bald on top, and have now had a transplant.

So, young feller (wheeze, puff ) don't make my mistake! Git the blood flowin'

( However, this could be a complete red herring, but what d'you have to lose ? )

Low,

What you are probably noticing is telogen effluvium which is a condition of hairloss that is more common in the early stages of MPB. It can appear in your late teens, early twenties and you can always read up more on the subject. There can be more than normal shedding and thinning with this condition.

As Brando suggested, get in for a formal diagnoses with a dermatologist who treats hairloss, not all of them do. That way you will know for sure and you probably will have to wait until you are at least 18 years old or so before starting Propecia if it is indeed MPB.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

As what I read on telogen effluvium is that it can be triggered by a bunch of things and that it can go for up to three years. From some of the events that can cause this, I noticed a few imparticular that may have triggered this for me. One was weight loss or unusual diet, as well as hormonal changes in the body. Since I'm still a growing individual, the hormonal changes makes sense. Also, I guess that I need to start eating better and more protien, because my diet has always been poor in years past. I'm hoping this is a temporary deal as opposed to the beginning of MPB. Going to get some protien shakes, haha.

Thanks for all the advice and comments so far. It is appreciated.

Hello Low,

I've been noticing more and more young guys using tons of hair gell. The end result is very thin appearing hair because the hair clumps together showing the scalp. I'm not sure if you're one of those guys or not, just an idea.

Pilot

Low,

Glad to see your feeling a little better and even with some humor. Laughter makes the best medicine as is said! icon_smile.gif

Still, get in to see a derm experienced in treating hairloss for a clinical diagnoses or disposition. That is still in your best interest.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY