Questions? I am having my 1st ht with Dr. Epstein on Feb 7th 2008

I am not sure what norwood class I am maybe a norwood 3 or norwood 4. I am having my 1st ht with Dr. Epstein in Feb. I am having 2400 grafts done in one session. It will be done to my frontal area. My question is my donor site is great the doc said. I have thin fine type hair and I want to go back to my military style cut buzzer 3 or 4, what do you think my chances would be in hair coverage on the front with this many grafts with thin finer hair? Will it fill in nicely or will it be spotty. Also last question? When Dr. Epstein met me he said that my donor area was good,but when he felt the back of my head he said that it was a bit tight. I think he was referring on how my donor site would react? But he seemed that it was no big deal and I had other questions that where more important at the time of our consultation. Any help guys would be great!! I can also add some pics soon for your help.

I am not sure what norwood class I am maybe a norwood 3 or norwood 4. I am having my 1st ht with Dr. Epstein in Feb. I am having 2400 grafts done in one session. It will be done to my frontal area. My question is my donor site is great the doc said. I have thin fine type hair and I want to go back to my military style cut buzzer 3 or 4, what do you think my chances would be in hair coverage on the front with this many grafts with thin finer hair? Will it fill in nicely or will it be spotty. Also last question? When Dr. Epstein met me he said that my donor area was good,but when he felt the back of my head he said that it was a bit tight. I think he was referring on how my donor site would react? But he seemed that it was no big deal and I had other questions that where more important at the time of our consultation. Any help guys would be great!! I can also add some pics soon for your help.

djdennis, The doctor was probably referring to the laxity of your donor area when he said, pretty tight. I checked out your blog picture and immediately said why only 2300 grafts?? Do you have a long-term plan worked out with the doctor for another HT after this one? You've no doubt got to be excited at this point. Are you aware that there are excersises that you can do to loosen your donor area so as to get a better harvest from the strip the doctor removes?

Yes, do the scalp exercises! They work! 2400 ( or more after the exercises) should give you some decent coverage. Very few people only get 1 HT and are done.. Feller is a good doc , you are in good hands

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

2400 grafts may provide fair coverage. Any reason why you are not considering more grafts? Some people have a long term plan in place and want to conserve grafts for future procedures.

djdennis,

I agree with what the others have told you. If you indeed have tight skin (poor donor scalp elasticity/laxity), Dr. Epstein may not be able to excise more than 2400 grafts in a single session. Be sure however, to discuss with him your long term hair restoration goals.

2400 grafts will most likely be a nice start and provide adequate coverage but in order to achieve higher densities, you are going to need either a larger single session if possible or multiple hair transplant surgeries to meet this objective.

You will be in good hands with Dr. Epstein. Just make sure you discuss with him in great detail your long term hair restoration goals and let him help guide you.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Thanks guys for your input. To answer its752 question? I have not talked about a long term goal with Dr. Epstein,he seems to think that all I would need is one ht. I have never really been on any meds,except about 2 years ago I tried the scalpmed and it worked nicely on my crown and even grew some back on my frontal area. (also found out that minox was in the scalpmed a little to late and spent bookoo bucks) It was very expensive after using it for one year and made my hair very greasy and decided to stop using it and take the $$$$ and put it towards an ht. For the last 2 months I have started minox 5% and Dr. epstein gave me a prescription for proscar and cutting into 1/4 tabs and does not seem to effect my libido (thank god) and I just ordered the revita shampoo online and should be here anyday. Where can I find out how to do the exercises? I definitely want a better doner strip!!! With the poor donor elasticity will this effect my donor scar? Happy new year gents

djdennis,

A lack of donor elasticity will impact the safe amount of donor hair that can be extracted in a single hair transplant session. You are not at additional risk for donor scar stretching unless too much is removed.

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. I fixed the link to your weblog in your signature.

Guest wanthairs

you can find the scalp excersises on youtube....juts type joetronic scalp excersises and you will see the videos....

PS....Epstein is great........my results are really starting to show amazing at the 8 month mark after a slow start.....

Thanks Bill and want hairs!! I really appreciate your guys help. Thats Great want hairs about your hair really starting to come through. What made you decide to go with Epstein? Oh by the way this forum has been the best Bill and for the longest time I was looking up on ht on the internet and all I kept seeing was bosley and I visited them about 5 years ago and was actually turned off and was a bit hesitant until the technology got better and then I finally ran across this site on my search engine with hair transplant forum and there you where and I have to say thanks because I would not be going to do this ht without your info and list of coaliton doctors. Last question I read that applying minox on your ht area in my case is the the frontal area before an ht will help grow out the new hairs faster. I read that this should be done about 2 weeks before your procedure. Is it ok to start 1 month early as to see less shock loss?

Guest wanthairs

hey dj......

I did alot of oinline research, but Epstein was the only doc I consulted with in person. I actually chose him because he was close to me (bad reason)but I also could not find any complaints against him and saw good work from his past. I have to saY, THAT EVEN THOUGH FULL RESULTS HAVE NOT COME IN, MY LIFE HAS BEEN TURNED AROUND BECAUSE OF THIS. iT WAS THE BEST DECISION I MADE. And it all started with finding this website.

Guest wanthairs

just to add a bit to my last post for Dj's benefit.....

I was nervous as hell on the day of the operation and found some members of his staff a little bit disconcerting because they were just a bit too bubbly for what I thought medical people act like (i come from a different part of the world so it was a bit of a culture shock)....He had one lovely girl who's job it was just to sit there and hold my hand. What a delight she was !!!!...Anyway, it all went well. I have a friend who used to do transplants with MHR and he saw the end result and thought it was excellent. I had noticable growth starting at exactly 7 weeks and 4 days post op. The growth was very slow however and even at the 5 month point I was very depressed because I saw how good some other peoples results were at only 5 or 6 months. Anyway, the growth rapidly took off recently, and for the first time since I was about 20 (16 years ago) I can actually not wear a hat, brush my hair backwards. I had a haircut yesterday and got my back and sides cut to a number 3 and the scar is invisible. It was so good to hear the barber ask me "are you sure you dont want me to trim the top?"

At 8 months post op, the results look totally 100% natural and I do believe this is the best thing I ever did to myself. My confidence reapeared out of nowhere and the results of that show well, in my personal and professional life....Unfortunately I dont have a weblog or pics. I' a little bit disabled when it comes to doing these high tech things. I live in the Tampa Bay area and would be glad to meet you so you could see what it looks like in person. You can PM me, if you wish.....Hope all goes well..

Thanks wanthairs,thats a great story about how far you have come with your confidence. I myself wear a hat almost everyday and I am so sick of wearing a hat. I knew it was time to do something about it. i COMPLETELY SHAVED MY HEAD ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO AND i THINK THAT WAS THE 1ST TIME IN A LONG TIME i DID NOT WEAR A HAT. bUT SINCE i AM HAVING THIS PROCEDURE DONE, I need to grow it out again and back to hats. I am coming down to miami feb 6th and having my procedure done on the 7th 1st thing in the morning.How far is Tampa for a drive from Miami, I used to live in jacksonville florida for about 5 years and I know that its not too too far. I am flying down from Boston. Great story Wanthairs and I am hoping to feel the same way soon.