Propecia shedding and HT procedure

Howdy all...I have a quick question re Propecia and transplants. It seems that after a person starts on Propecia hair will start shedding first before it grows back. If this is the case then supposing someone went for a HT a few months after starting Propecia, isn't there a danger that the HT surgeon will transplant hairs into areas where hair has only shed and would be growing back due to the effects of Propecia? So I suppose my question is should a person wait until having a HT before starting on Propecia? Or should a person be on Propecia a minimum length of time (i.e. 1 year) before having a HT?

Cheers,

PB

Howdy all...I have a quick question re Propecia and transplants. It seems that after a person starts on Propecia hair will start shedding first before it grows back. If this is the case then supposing someone went for a HT a few months after starting Propecia, isn't there a danger that the HT surgeon will transplant hairs into areas where hair has only shed and would be growing back due to the effects of Propecia? So I suppose my question is should a person wait until having a HT before starting on Propecia? Or should a person be on Propecia a minimum length of time (i.e. 1 year) before having a HT?

Cheers,

PB

I don't think that's an issue. HT surgeons wear these magnifying glasses while operating, and i'm guessing some of these guys can pass their drivers test without glasses.

Anyway, my head was shaved in the recipient area, so if he can avoid a shaved hair, I'm guessing he can avoid one in Telogen phase.

Also, 10-15 per cent of your hair is always in Telogen without meds, so transection is always a worry.

The bottom line is you must choose a best of the best HT doctor who as good at avoiding transection.

How can you know? You can't, but you can research, as you're doing now, and choose wisely.

Here is another point, if you're on Propecia for awhile it may strengthen hair so that it doesn't shock out for good because of surgery.

Bottom line, nobody here recommends not being on Propecia first. In fact, I only started it a month before my HT session, and I wish I'd started earlier...a LOT earlier.

mark h

Ok thanks for the replies. The more I think about it the more it makes sense to be on Propecia for several months before a HT. I've been on it a couple of weeks now and was thinkin of scheduling a HT for end November, but I may just hold off and let Propecia do it's thing first. It would be good to get a surgeon's view on this.

Cheers,

PB