Hair Transplant Ques Younng Guy

Hey veterans,

I know it is wise to have a long term plan when transplanting. I was wondering how common it is or whether it is a good idea to decide and transplant donor hair to give a good, low hairline with high density + temples and skimp out on crown coverage.

I was thinking in terms of looks it is more important to have the front framed as good as possible since nobody really looks at the back of your head anyways. Maybe it is possible to save 2000 grafts for the crown just in case and add a concealer when/if the crown eventually goes. What do you guys think?

Hey veterans,

I know it is wise to have a long term plan when transplanting. I was wondering how common it is or whether it is a good idea to decide and transplant donor hair to give a good, low hairline with high density + temples and skimp out on crown coverage.

I was thinking in terms of looks it is more important to have the front framed as good as possible since nobody really looks at the back of your head anyways. Maybe it is possible to save 2000 grafts for the crown just in case and add a concealer when/if the crown eventually goes. What do you guys think?

htownballa,

Definately the most cosmetic effective place for grafts is in the hairline and midscalp area. But if you use all of your donor to have a dense hairline and midscalp area and your crown becomes completely bald than I imagine you will like a freak - as it is not natural.

I personally would concede a higher hairline if it allows sparse coverage on the crown.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Thanks for the reply jakevig

Is it possible to have a dense hairline/midscalp and just have a thinning crown, not necessarily totally bald. I was thinking to place a lot of grafts in the front, and less on the crown so i can cover it up with concealers. Is this a common practice?

PS My crown as of now isnt noticeably thinning and I just started propecia. Maybe the propecia will stave off crown baldness forever lol?

you can always get via FUE at least another 1000 or so, and if things get that bad, some are trying body hair transplants. Not glamorous, and not guranteed but if you have the money it maybe worth a try. Plus, way on top of the head, it's not as visible so it can be a good choice--if you have no other choice icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by htownballa:

Is it possible to have a dense hairline/midscalp and just have a thinning crown, not necessarily totally bald. I was thinking to place a lot of grafts in the front, and less on the crown so i can cover it up with concealers. Is this a common practice?

PS My crown as of now isnt noticeably thinning and I just started propecia. Maybe the propecia will stave off crown baldness forever lol?

htownballa, I myself was told I was a N3 vertex and to focus for now on maintaining my current look. And it was the crown that bothered me anyway, since the hairline hasn't moved. I was thinking of trying a concealer with meds before a HT. No systems for me though. It would be great if I could hold out for another few years to see what new developments come our way.

Yeah it certainly is possible and if you only have a thinning crown then it will probably be recommended. Its just that you should try to avoid the look that Bobman got after his first HT where he had a really thick hairline and bald crown. In the end its really up to you though I would always think to keep 1000-1500 grafts in reserve if possible.

You know its funny...I hear ppl all the time advising young people such as myself to get a mature hairline, save grafts, sacrifice density etc...but i havent really heard many transplant horror stories that involve somone having used up all their donor hair...sure ive heard of ppl having pluggy transplants/scars but not much of the "oh i used too much donor now im screwed"

You know its funny...I hear ppl all the time advising young people such as myself to get a mature hairline, save grafts, sacrifice density etc...but i havent really heard many transplant horror stories that involve somone having used up all their donor hair...sure ive heard of ppl having pluggy transplants/scars but not much of the "oh i used too much donor now im screwed"

Hopefully you wont have to icon_smile.gif. We'll I think everyone knows about the horror stories of the HT's in the 80's, and since FUT's really only started getting good around 2000 it is too early for some of us to know that we planned correctly.

But if you think about it if you end up heading towards a NW6 and you dont have a good donor, and you started your hairline too low you wont have any donor left for the crown. For a natural look you should be aiming for a residual decline in density heading towards the crown.

Well I think my plan is to get the hair transplant with a good hairline/density and have it thinner on the crown area in the future

I just hope my donor is good which will allow me to do this...i mean look at bobman, a previous norwood 6 who probably has better hair now than i do at 24

Originally posted by John_in_NC:

..but i havent really heard many transplant horror stories that involve somone having used up all their donor hair...sure ive heard of ppl having pluggy transplants/scars but not much of the "oh i used too much donor now im screwed"

Check the forums 10+ years from now, and something tells me many will have 100+ grafts/cm2 Alvio Armani hairlines and bald crowns.

That's me now and I wear a very small crown hairpiece that I don't even know is there. For me it is much better than wearing a full hairpiece and also it is undetectable..... No hairline problems, sweating etc etc. This has been my solution to norwood 6.5 baldness.

Originally posted by plugvet:

That's me now and I wear a very small crown hairpiece that I don't even know is there. For me it is much better than wearing a full hairpiece and also it is undetectable..... No hairline problems, sweating etc etc. This has been my solution to norwood 6.5 baldness.

What is your story? Did you run out of donor hair? Who did your transplants?

• 1 year later...

Hey veterans,

a long term plan is vital! How bad will it look if you have a high density frontal core and then bald in the crown? Density is very important but i would think that result might not be a good idea. Total coverage is better, but you also do not want thin hair throughout either. I find thin result look worse.