Best Strategy on Frontal Loss

Recently (for the past 6 months) I've been experiencing some loss in the crown as well as some frontal loss and a receding hairline. I just started taking Rogaine and Propecia (for under a month) and am optimistic that the two might help loss in the crown, which is the area I understand they work best on. However, is there anything that I can be doing to help my frontal hair loss? I use Toppik which has been helping a bit in disguising the thinness, but can anyone suggest a strategy (if such a thing exists) for my hairline?

Recently (for the past 6 months) I've been experiencing some loss in the crown as well as some frontal loss and a receding hairline. I just started taking Rogaine and Propecia (for under a month) and am optimistic that the two might help loss in the crown, which is the area I understand they work best on. However, is there anything that I can be doing to help my frontal hair loss? I use Toppik which has been helping a bit in disguising the thinness, but can anyone suggest a strategy (if such a thing exists) for my hairline?

Martin,

Propecia and Rogaine are FDA approved for the crown only however, many physicians and patients are convinced that these two medication may also provide some benefit for the vertex and front as well.

Propecia and Rogaine both work better in areas of thinning hair while only hair transplant surgery is proven to grow hair in completely bald areas.

Currently, these two products are the only ones I have any true faith in to have any real benefit for the hair loss sufferer. Reasonable expectations however, must be developed and maintained.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks, Bill - I guess my best bet at this point is to take the meds for a year and re-evaluate. Hopefully the Propecia and Rogaine stop the loss everywhere, but I'm hoping it at least does some justice to the crown - if the front/vertex fails me I will be looking into a transplant in the coming years.

Diddo Fal comments-- you must take together for best synergy. So good job that you started.

Also, use a good non-oil base or non-pore clogging shampoo and conditioner-- several brands that are good. I use Nioxon which has several types for different kind of hair thinning.

Make sure you get your Omega fatty acids as well.

This should slow down your HL progression.

SMOOTHY

Dr.Shapiro

Propeica/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Zinc/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin Shampoo line

Zrii 3 oz daily

Thanks Smoothy, I appreciate your comments. I actually haven't been washing my hair much since my hair loss has been progressing - the last time I did, I was horrified! I lost an enormous amount of hairs and very rarely wash my hair now because of that traumatizing experience. Yet, I have been reading on Nizoral and other products that are used by hair loss sufferers and will probably experiment with one soon.

Bill is on the mark. You have 4 choices. 1. Ignore your hair loss, it won't kill you.

2. Camouflage it with toppik, or hair pieces.

3. Medical therapy with Rogaine or DHT blockers like propecia.

4. Surgery.

I don't want to start a big fight about vitamins and supplements, and I have stated my opinions on that previously; but, just eat a normal american diet and DON'T spend lots of money on things not on that list above. If you are stressed, try to reduce stress as best as you can, and use a shampoo that doesn't irritate your scalp. I get samples of everything, and I personally buy neutrogena tar based shampoo at the grocery store. It controls dry scalp skin for me better than anything, and at 9 dollars a bottle, lasting 2 months, has a price that is right.

Obviously being a hair surgeon, of those choices, I prefer #3 and #4 or both. But if you have a choice of spending lots of money on things that have never been shown in any scientific controlled study, published in US literature (lasers, lotions and potions to "grow hair"), or spending that same money having fun--my recommendation is to go have fun and when you are ready, see a reputable doc for #3 or #4.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians