Wearing head covering and hair loss

Abby

Is there any evidence to suggest that wearing a cap or covering the head day in day out over a long period of time i,e years may lead to premature hair loss. Also is there any evidence that suggests taking GLUCOSOMINE supplements can lead to hair loss, or is this just a load of old cobblers.?????

Is there any evidence to suggest that wearing a cap or covering the head day in day out over a long period of time i,e years may lead to premature hair loss. Also is there any evidence that suggests taking GLUCOSOMINE supplements can lead to hair loss, or is this just a load of old cobblers.?????

Abby,

I would agree with Bill that hats do not have a negative effect on hair growing, either your natural hair or grafts that have been transplanted.

The only thing that goes on the head that I DO know can have a negative impact on some patients is wearing a hairpiece. Over the years, I would say that approximately 15-20% of my hairpiece-wearing patients have had slight to moderate diminishment of hair growth compared to my normal non-hairpiece-wearing patients. A few years ago I had a discussion about this with some other very experienced doctors, including Dr. Bobby Limmer and Walter Unger, and they had noted this also in their practices. Their recommendation to me at the time, which I have followed, is to not have a hairpiece worn during the week after a procedure, and then to have the patient have the hairpiece off as much as possible, wearing it only for essentials such as work and social engagements - but wearing a ballcap around the house or nothing on the head. I have noticed a slight improvement since switching to this policy, but still see an occasional patient with diminished growth.

The reason for this is not fully understood. Most feel it has to do with a close "shuffling" of the piece on the newly implanted grafts, perhaps somehow preventing them from "taking root." Increased temperature or bacteria present would be other wild guesses that probably don't apply.

Most of us have people who wear motorcycle helmets, ski helmets, and hard hats NOT wear their headware for at least 7-10 days.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

• 2 weeks later...

This is very interesting. I am in month ten and have very modest growth at best. I was told to not wear my hairpiece at night for the first three months and I was in total compliance. After that I began wearing it four nights a week to bed. My stylist says he has many clients who have gone from hairpieces to transplants and wore the hairpiece until the transplant matured. He said none of his clients experienced delayed or inhibited growth. For the past month I have not been wearing it to bed and hope that will help the growth. Can you say if wearing a hairpiece will cause some of the hair to never surface or will it just delay it? Thanks.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts