Use of Minoxidil / Rogaine post HT

Dr. Epstein recommends male patients use Minoxidil 5% twice a day for three months to accelerate the growth of new hairs. At around 3 months the Minoxidil can be stopped. I was wondering if there was any consensus on this with the community?

TIA,

Sin

My Hair Loss Weblog

1st HT with Dr. Jeffrey Epstein 2,599 Grafts

Dr. Epstein recommends male patients use Minoxidil 5% twice a day for three months to accelerate the growth of new hairs. At around 3 months the Minoxidil can be stopped. I was wondering if there was any consensus on this with the community?

TIA,

Sin

My Hair Loss Weblog

SinTPA,

Some doctors and patients swear by this approach, but I'm not convinced that it really speeds up growth. Truth is...you will have new growth no matter what if a surgeon does quality work. I

On a personal note, I am not a huge advocate of minoxodil especially for the first several months post op since it can be a scalp irritant. BUT it can be helpful to those who are trying to maintain or thicken up native hair.

Bill

Guest wanthairs

Hey Sin....

I had a procedure with Epstein 4 weeks ago. 5% minoxidil irritates the hell out of me, so I mixed a 5% bottle witha 2% bottle in one spray bottle and it seems to work for me......although its onle going to be 3.5% strength.

I would like to here from a physician that advocates this personally as to their reasoning to the use of minoxodil post op.

The bottom line is...just as I stated above...the results will come in...and minoxodil CAN irritate the scalp (just like in wanthairs case).

Bill

Bill,

I did some internet research on the topic and found the following that may be of interest on the topic.

Topical minoxidil may be an important adjunctive therapy during the recuperative period in patients who have undergone hair transplant surgery.

Topical minoxidil seems to be an adjunct for a better evolution of grafts after hair transplantation surgery.

Based on the surgeons' clinical experience, the use of approved hair regrowth agents in hair transplant patients with viable but suboptimally functioning follicles in the region to be transplanted can increase hair density, speed regrowth in transplanted follicles, and complement the surgical result by slowing down or stopping further hair loss.

Minoxidil may help improve the rate of hair regrowth, however, transplanted hair does not need minoxidil for growth.

Based on what I've seen and Dr. Epstein's recommendation, I will continue to use the Minoxidil on the transplanted hairs.

Cheers,

Sin

My Hair Loss Weblog

SinTPA,

Great finds! Thanks for posting the links.

This confirms what I stated above. Some doctors and patient swear by it's benefit, though the articles admit that it MAY be helpful...but isn't necessarily. My personal opinion is...feel free to try it...but if it irritates your scalp, stop the minoxodil for awhile until your scalp heals more.

Cheers,

Bill

SinTPA:

Thanks for the links to those articles. I recently had a procedure with Dr. Ron Shapiro on April 23rd. Shapiro Medical Group suggested I use the Rogaine 5% foam once the grafts had healed. I have been using it for two weeks now. It's too early to report any results, but I will say that 5% foam is much easier to apply than 2% topical solution.

TooThin

Originally posted by TooThin:

SinTPA:

Thanks for the links to those articles. I recently had a procedure with Dr. Ron Shapiro on April 23rd. Shapiro Medical Group suggested I use the Rogaine 5% foam once the grafts had healed. I have been using it for two weeks now. It's too early to report any results, but I will say that 5% foam is much easier to apply than 2% topical solution.

TooThin

TooThin:

Your welcome. I still have another bottle of the Rogaine liquid to finish which should get me through the three month period post Transplant on April 13th. I plan on discontinuing the Minox on or around July 13th. I don't find the 5% topical that difficult. It does run down the face occasionally but I don't find it a big deal. I feel better about using Rogaine after finding the articles. I'm also using the Lexington Laser Comb which I bought about a year ago. I figure it can't hurt for accelerating the growth of the new hair.

Regards,

Sin

My Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 months later...

I can report this from personal experience:

My hair loss bothers me a lot at age 27. I took Propecia, and stuck with minoxidil for a good 3 weeks before I was forced to stop because of some terrible irritation I experienced. I wanted to throw everything I had at the hair loss problem, but nothing was worth walking around with your scalp itching like crazy. My dermatologist even prescribed some special shampoo and a cream, but none of it helped, so I finally gave up.

When the foam came out, I did some research because my dermatologist told me that they had removed an inert ingredient that a lot of people were having problems with. I was hesitant to start again because I didn't want to go through the initial shadding only to find out I was still itching like crazy, so I put it off for a bit.

I am happy to say that when I finally caved and tried it, there was no itching or irritation. It's still messy, but not irritating. I've been using it for more than a month now.

Another downside with the foam, however, is that it seems like you go through it a lot faster. I went through 2 bottles in the last month.

Anyway, hope this helps!

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

Only minoxidil does not have complete advantage to ensure good hair growth. Hair is not made of minoxidil, it is made of proteins, iron, calcium, requires antioxidants to have a good toxin free growing environment. Minoxidil prolongs the growth phase and to some extent improves the blood flow to the roots, Finasteride in combination protects the hair. What about providing for elements that build up the hair. I have used a combination of minoxidil, finasteride, supplements and antioxidants to improve the hair quality before a transplant and to achieve a good growth after a transplant. A few patients who approached with failed growth after a transplant have seen new grafts growing just with this kind of comprehensive medical support for 4 months. Medicne and transpolant are not replacements for one another but they go hand in hand and should best be use din combunation for the best outcome. Pre conditioning the hair with medicimes before the transplant can improve the strength of the roots, make then robust and easy to dissect and implant. It prevents shock loss which is the most common complication feared from a transplant. It ensures good growth of the grafts some growing as early as 21/2 months after the transplant. Helps transplants done in smokers and scalps with poor blood flow. Has multiple advantages. No patient should agree for a transplant without premedication and follow the same for 8 -10 months after the transplant.

Mr. Rajput,

Where did you lear HT?

Have you returned Sahil's hard earned money he paid you?

Do you have no shame? Everyone on this site has told how subpar your work is. You must be very thickskinned to continue.

Can you show us 1 good case with clear pictures where you have benefitted any patient.

Post one result, and let us compare it to what the coalition doctors do.

You are just an example of the type of doctors patients need to be warned about.

If you were in US, your licence will be revoked.

Tell me the address of association of plastic surgeons in India and I will expose you for your incompetence and fraud.