The one disadvantage of early sprouting (oh, the irony!)

The reasonable, informed, and mature attitude to adopt following a hair transplant:

"I'm not going to count on seeing anything by month 3; I'll wait until at least month 6 to expect any signs of growth or cosmetic improvement. I won't expect to see some miracle over a period of a few months."

My problem is this:

I've seen pretty good growth and I'm only at 4 3/4 months. But this makes you spoiled, and only more impatient. Seeing good growth early on made me think that by month 6 I'd be done. You will judge your early results more stringently. I've been thinking, "Well, I obviously see the growth, so I must be done", even though I know there is still more to come and the maturation process must begin to take its course. So just like you've heard of the "3 month doldrums" for late bloomers, we early sprouters experience the "5 month doldrums", a period in which we believe that we have stopped growing because we had it easy in the beginning and our perception of time has been thrown off. You will PMS during this period. Yesterday, I thought my hair looked good, and was nice to everyone. Today, I thought it didn't look thick enough, and was an asshole to everyone at work. The problem is this: it's come in enought to where I can go out, it looks pretty good and is undetectable. But having this kind of freedom may make you expect to see final results eveytime you look in the mirror, as you've gotten back to a normal life and routine.

My conlusion:

Sprouting early doesn't mean you'll be FINISHED any earlier than a late bloomer. We're all in it for the LONG HAUL. icon_wink.gif

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

The reasonable, informed, and mature attitude to adopt following a hair transplant:

"I'm not going to count on seeing anything by month 3; I'll wait until at least month 6 to expect any signs of growth or cosmetic improvement. I won't expect to see some miracle over a period of a few months."

My problem is this:

I've seen pretty good growth and I'm only at 4 3/4 months. But this makes you spoiled, and only more impatient. Seeing good growth early on made me think that by month 6 I'd be done. You will judge your early results more stringently. I've been thinking, "Well, I obviously see the growth, so I must be done", even though I know there is still more to come and the maturation process must begin to take its course. So just like you've heard of the "3 month doldrums" for late bloomers, we early sprouters experience the "5 month doldrums", a period in which we believe that we have stopped growing because we had it easy in the beginning and our perception of time has been thrown off. You will PMS during this period. Yesterday, I thought my hair looked good, and was nice to everyone. Today, I thought it didn't look thick enough, and was an asshole to everyone at work. The problem is this: it's come in enought to where I can go out, it looks pretty good and is undetectable. But having this kind of freedom may make you expect to see final results eveytime you look in the mirror, as you've gotten back to a normal life and routine.

My conlusion:

Sprouting early doesn't mean you'll be FINISHED any earlier than a late bloomer. We're all in it for the LONG HAUL. icon_wink.gif

-------

Repeat after me

" I will not judge the cosmetic result until one year."

Say it again

" I will not judge the cosmetic result until one year."

You need to stop rationalizing and understand it will take a year for the majority of results & characterisitcs of the hair to mature.. End of discussion and/or crazy thought.

You are going to make yourself miserable.. 6 months is nothing.. I've had 3 Ht's and the difference between 6 and 10 months, is HUGE!

As far as not being thick enough, give it time but you probably just want more grafts.. This is hair greed which all of the vets on here can appreciate.

Relax

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Yes..........hurry up and wait! icon_biggrin.gif

The majority of the time, if you went in educated and with realistic expectations, you'll be satisfied by month 12. I used to discount thickening and filling in the occurs between months 6 & 12 until I experienced it personally after HT #2.

It can be a bit of a roller coaster ride waiting for the HT to mature!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Youngsuccess:

That's exactly the way I was feeling (see my 6 month update comments)this past month. You put it into words so well--I was whining!

Hopefully, my PMS doesn't coincide with my wife's. icon_wink.gif

Great post.

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Haha

We are all whining. I just had my 3rd and biggest HT of 2124. NOW I have to wait a whole year for the best results yet .. Boo hoo...

Ok, there is my whining.. BUT as I always say, at least I'm growing hair and not losing!!

This is going to be a good ride giving me a total of 5017

Ya hoo

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Mrjb and Hairbank: thanks for the advice, and I will try to be more patient.

Glock08: Your six month pic looks good. I can relate about wanting it to thicken up though. Definately looks natural. Just think: a bald man would look at your hair now and say, "I wish I had that much hair."

I guess we have to try to keep things in perspective! Thanks again for the empathy and comments!

-------