another queston about finasteride?

hatrick

Finasteride is prescribed in 1mg dosages to treat hair-loss, and prescribed in 5mg dosages to treat an enlarged prostate. However, wouldn't it be more beneficial to take 5mg finasteride to treat hair-loss? It's obviously safe to take in 5mg dosages. Seems like the more the better or is this one of those drugs where less is more?

im not sure if thats true, but hey you could be right. what about instead of cutting the 5mg into quarters, i cut them into halfs. would 2.5mg be to much still? I know i've read some posts on here where people have stated they take more than the 1mg dosage for their hairloss. Just wondering if i would get any extra benefit from it, or if 1mg would produce the exact same results as 2.5mg.

i know it seems early to say i've seen results from finasteride. I've only been on it for a week, but im beginning to see results. no regrowth or anything crazy, but my frontal hairs seem to be darker and alittle thicker than they were before i started finasteride. so far so good i guess.

I take 1.25 mg's a day simply because it's impossible to cut the pill in 5 pieces and i dont see any extra benefit. But hey everyone is differant. As far as shrinking your prostate- thats what proscar is intended for so it is fact. Google it. LOL

• Moderators

There generally isn't much benefit of taking more than 1mg to 1.25mg a day. Every persons system is different, but if you are taking an amount that stops your hair from falling out then taking more than that is just a waste or worse because you'll be more prone to the sexual side effects. Propecia/Proscar doesn't really make new hair grow. It stops it from falling out, which in turn allows the hair to continue growing that would normally have fallen out, miniturize over a few cycles, and eventually not grow back. Propecia keeps the growth cycles going.

Some people do get a bit of new growth, but it's mostly hair that was on it's last cycles and just beginning to go permanently dormant.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.